What's new

Your Best Local Pizza

I always find the "[insert city here] has the best pizza, all the rest is garbage!" arguments funny. Maybe I'm different, but dang I like all styles - NY, Chicago, Detroit, you name it. I won't turn down any of them.

But my actual favorite is from where I grew up - south shore of Massachusetts. We do pizza different there and whenever I go to visit family I always stop for a pizza before anything else. The go to for me is Cape Cod Cafe. I can't wait to get back for my usual linguica pizza!

proxy.php
I'm with you. Back in the late 70's my brother and I picked up a pizza at a local restaurant in Ocho Rios Jamaica. It was wonderful but unlike any I've had before or since.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
+2 - my favorite of all time is a joint that is still open back home, it opened maybe 55 years ago? Still crowded despite the rush to franchise spawned mediocracy that put many momma & poppa joints out of business. Its akin to the affinity alot of folks have to a car that was the bomb when they got their license, or the songs that were playing at a first formal dance ..

I do like NY, Providence, Detroit, Chicago, Greek pizzas, but I can still taste that pizza from home ..

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
My favorite Pizza joint I forget the name of, but I did get a free sample there. It was somewhere up in the Thumb of Michigan! True story doggone.

Tonys Pizza 1.jpg

Tony's Pizza, Willimantic CT. Admittedly not local for me anymore (I moved to TN years ago) but I grew up going here. Perfectly crunchy crust, a thick layer of cheese, they don't skimp on toppings. The pepperoni's are amazing as well, spicy, crunchy and soaked in grease.
There's a poll going on on wfsb.com, one of CT's news stations, asking people about the best pizza in CT. Last i heard, Tony's was in the finals, I'm hoping they take first place.

In the Tennessee pizza scene, Manny's Wood Fire Pizza in Algood is quite good. The Pizza Machine runs out of a converted school bus, they get bonus points because they're a charity business. If you can't afford it, you don't have to pay.

Our local (Portland) chain for the last 30 years is Pizzicato. Started a local version of California Pizza Kitchen, more mainstream now.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
So. Pizza in the southern interior of British Columbia. Hmmm. Pizza. Lessee here...no Italian restaurants, Greek restaurant shut down, no Mexican beyond fast food, most "sushi" restaurants (4) owned by Koreans, one actual Korean restaurant, one Thai fast food joint. Lots of South Asian/Indian restaurants. Pizza...pizza...well, Domino's. Papa Murphy shut down of all things to make way for a Korean chicken shop and a taco joint run by people who've possibly never seen a taco. Panago. Looks like the best local a-pizz is mine, an homage to self-defence.

Got a place that makes Dutch pancakes. Big as pizza but it just ain't the same. But Portland is only ten hours' drive away!

O.H.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
So. Pizza in the southern interior of British Columbia. Hmmm. Pizza. Lessee here...no Italian restaurants, Greek restaurant shut down, no Mexican beyond fast food, most "sushi" restaurants (4) owned by Koreans, one actual Korean restaurant, one Thai fast food joint. Lots of South Asian/Indian restaurants. Pizza...pizza...well, Domino's. Papa Murphy shut down of all things to make way for a Korean chicken shop and a taco joint run by people who've possibly never seen a taco. Panago. Looks like the best local a-pizz is mine, an homage to self-defence.

Got a place that makes Dutch pancakes. Big as pizza but it just ain't the same. But Portland is only ten hours' drive away!

O.H.

You pretty much nailed it for about half the province ...

In Missouri
Battlefield-Godfathers
Kansas City Area-Minskys get the deep dish prime cut
Hollister-Mr.Gilberties get anything chicago style
Reed Springs-Reed Springs Pizza company
West Plains-Pizza Shack the Supreme calzone is amazing

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
It is impossible to get good pizza where we live: Gainesville, FL... We've tried all the local "favorites" and they are horrible, based on the great pizza we used to get, routinely, in the Reading, PA area.

Here, after trying too many places, we decided, the best pizza here is from Dominos... sad, isn't it? The only plus? You can get a couple lava cakes to make it worthwhile. <eg>

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
@wlshephard mentioned Godfather's. When I was in university the first time back in the early '80s we got a Godfather's franchise in town. My girlfriend at the time had a restaurant background and she started out working in the kitchen but soon got pulled to management because she has massive skills in that direction. I remember for the day it was a pizza like we'd never had and it was good. First time I'd seen a Mittelby-Marshall oven for pizza and still wish I had room for one.

I'm sure the chain has changed a lot over the last 40 years. It was a real revelation in a town where the previous choices were mostly either Shakey's or else some place by the university where they served hot round things with meat and cheese on them but really you went there for the 64-ounce beers.

But we also had Woodstock's which is still there and still excellent. Plus the logo of pies flying over the Benton County Courthouse like UFOs was pretty cool...

O.H.

@gpjoe Gary, what's the best pizza near my house? :)

For a quick pie, I used to go to Jets on Harper just north of 12 mile.

After my doctor made me gluten-free, I only ate Cloverleaf pizza on Gratiot in Eastpoint. The owner, Jack (cousin of my sister-in-law, and all-round nice guy), came up with the world's greatest gluten-free pizza crust. There is no better, and their regular pizza is pretty great also.

Top Bottom