What's new

Your Best Lemonade Recipe

Seeing as how warm weather is upon us, I know that the membership has one or two up their sleeves-especially since I don't! I love fresh lemonade, but do not want to wait until i'm on a boardwalk or overpriced park with rides to get some.

plus, I know that we have some members who do not imbibe alcohol who would appreciate this thread.:wink:

So help a brotha' out..........

marty

I put about 2 or 3 teaspoon sugar in the glass, 6 teaspoons of lemon juice (50%) (the size of the glass is approx 3 dl this is about 1 3/4 - 2 cups.) and a quarter teaspoon of cooking soda. The soda is very important for two things:
1.) You feel the taste of the lemon much-much more intensive
2.) Your stomack won't be burn if you drink a lot.

First take either equal parts lemon juice and 1:1 simple syrup, or go with about a 3:2 ratio of lemon juice and syrup. Fresh squeezed lemon juice is the only kind of course. Mix that up and cut it with club soda for a nice sparking lemonade, or just water for a more traditional one. I usually do about 3 parts soda/water to lemon juice, but 4 parts is fine too if you drink it before your ice melts. Serve over ice.

I haven't made any since last year, so this is off the top of my head.

Juice 8 lemons and strain the juice. Put the lemon juice in a pitcher and fill slowly with water. The amount of water may vary, depending on how strong you like it. Either sweeten the pitcher to taste or sweeten each glass individually.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I had a recipe from Rick Bayless for limeonade (I know, no lemon but I prefer lime). It's as simple as juice of 2 limes + 1 litre of fizzy water. You may add sugar if you like but I love mine sour!

But Ginger Beer:

I have a Ginger Beer Plant, not the sludgey yeasty mess, but the real ginger beer plant that looks like blobs of jelly.

Brew that up with sugar, water and ginger powder, filter the lumps out and decant into bottles until fizzy.

Something else is Water Kefir Grains. Brew that up with sugar, raisins and water for a few days, Filter the blobs out decant into bottles and wait until hard.

Both of these taste bloody marvelous cold on a hot day.

These plants are the real plants that your parents and grandparents would have made lemonade or ginger beer from. And non-alcoholic too.

Here is the goods (Cooks Illustrated recipe I have made many times):

12 lemons, washed and sliced thin
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
5 cups of water

Mash lemons and sugar in large, deep bowl or saucepan with potato masher or wooden spoon until lemon slices give up their juice, sugar is dissolved, and juice is thickened to syrup consistency, about 4 minutes. Pour half the lemon slices and syrup through large sieve over bowl or saucepan; press on solids with masher or back of wooden spoon to release as much liquid as possible. Discard solids; transfer liquid to serving pitcher. Repeat process with remaining lemon slices. Stir in water until blended. Chill well and stir to blend before serving, over ice if desired.

While I don't have a recipe for it, one of my favorite lemonades was from a little Lebanese restaurant in downtown New Brunswick, NJ. The mystery ingredient was rose water.

Top Bottom