What's new

Your best decaf

I’ve been drinking decaf or half-caf for years. Recently I’ve been roasting my own beans and had decent luck on a couple batches of decaf, one a Columbia, the other a Mexican.

This Mexican decaf is some seriously good stuff. It’s probably going to be my go to.

What’s your favorite decaf?
D7C890E5-B9EF-47A1-BFCD-0406B30884F3.jpeg

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
I don't drink decaf often, but I don't allow myself more than two cups of coffee a day. Any more than that makes me feel quite anxious. :sad:

I don't drink decaf often, but I don't allow myself more than two cups of coffee a day. Any more than that makes me feel quite anxious. :sad:

That's about my limit too. But I do like a cup in the evening every so often so the decaf comes into play. A lot of my morning coffee is a mix of decaf and caffeinated. It's nice to find a good one

Eric_75

That's about my limit too. But I do like a cup in the evening every so often so the decaf comes into play. A lot of my morning coffee is a mix of decaf and caffeinated. It's nice to find a good one
I'm probably a good full-time candidate for decaf or half-caf. Years ago I made the mistake of having a Red Bull on top of my two cups of coffee. Not good. Haven't touched an energy drink since that day.

Reactions: Wid

Eric_75

@Wid Thanks for posting this thread. I will seek out some decaf at Publix tomorrow and mix things up a bit.

This Mexican decaf is some seriously good stuff. It’s probably going to be my go to.
Same, but I am going to roast some Ethiopian later today for variety. I have a weeks worth of the Mexico in the freezer for later. Had an Ethiopian before the Mexico that I didn't roast, used to buy Colombia EA process decaf(I have some green kicking around here).

full

I have only roasted decaf a couple of time for in-laws. I never got to try it. You should be able to get sampler packages from places like Happy Mug, Sweet Maria's, etc. There is not as much variety, but at least there are choices.

Like the OP, I drink half-caffeinated and half-decaf. That said, it's hard for me to say what decaf bean is my favorite because it's always blended with a caffeinated bean! One thing I've noticed from roasting my own beans is that the time is shorter with decaf than with caffeinated. Must be something in the decaffeinating process that advances them. Also the cracking or popping sensation is not as evident as it is with a caffeinated bean, and the darkening happens more quickly after the crack.

I try to stay with a caffeinated-decaf blend from the same region when possible. That helps to pare down the options in the caffeinated part as the range of decaf beans is more limited, so Peruvian with Peruvian, Colombian with Colombian, etc. But often, that isn't possible. In late July I blended a "Peru Bello Horizonte Andres Burga" with an "Ethiopia Gera-Coma SUP Decaf" roasting both to around Full City, and the result turned out pretty tasty.

Another factor for me is that I percolate my morning coffee and add heated milk. These also affect the end-result to some extant. Straight Italian moka (again half-caffeinated and half-decaf) for a pick-me-up in the afternoon, which is another matter entirely.

My morning percolated coffee is usually 3 cups. My afternoon moka is normally 2 cups. If blending it half-and-half with decaffeinated beans cuts the caffeine level in half, that's around 2-1/2 cups.

Last edited:

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
For those that roast decaf, how does it hold up over time as compared to a similar bean that is caffeinated? Also, does it typically need more or less rest?

I've never roasted decaf, but I've been considering it (mostly in the context of making a reduced-caf blend).

For those that roast decaf, how does it hold up over time as compared to a similar bean that is caffeinated? Also, does it typically need more or less rest?

I've never roasted decaf, but I've been considering it (mostly in the context of making a reduced-caf blend).
You know, it holds up surprisingly well if stored properly! I had previously roasted too much and was still drinking it on day 14. You could tell it was done, but I still drank it. I usually try not to go over 10 days. My last batch was split in half with half put in the freezer for a week. I still consider roast level the primary determinant of longevity and this was just barely medium. I have had darker decafs barely drinkable on day 7, yuck!

I also brewed a decaf straight out of the roaster the last time without any consequences. I try to leave it 2 days, but that is just my convention. I don’t taste much improvement.

I haven’t been roasting long enough to give a good answer. The two decafs I have done were pretty darn good. Didn’t really have them for any length of time

Just ordered 5 pounds of Ethiopian to go along with the caffeinated beans to make a 50/50.

Getting ready to road a pound of Peruvian decaf.

I have been thinking about whether decaf needs resting for the last several days. My last Ethiopian definitely improved after two days, but I think three is sweet spot for this one. I also no longer think my medium roast dampened any of the origin characteristics, there is plenty of acidity left too. This roast level seems to be the sweet spot for all the decaf I have done so far.

If you haven't already, you should try an EA process Colombian. I will have a look at other suggestions...

...Sweet Maria's has their Decaf Moka Java blend(Ethiopia, Sumatra). They also have a Rwanda, I still have some from last year of that. Probably a different origin than mine, probably could find it elsewhere.

Last edited:
I did find this Columbian, sent a message about the processing

These guys have a lot of options including the Colombian, this one should be unique:

That Colombian doesn't say decaf anywhere, the only one they have that I could find is the Mexico that you have used in the past.

Last edited:
Top Bottom