Votes: 7 7.2%
  • Occam Oren

Votes: 7 7.2%
  • Paradigm SE

Votes: 9 9.3%
  • Razorock Hawk

Votes: 13 13.4%

• Total voters
I am not certain a "poll" can really tell you much since most of us have only used a small portion of the contenders. Personally, I have experience with the Occam, Colonial General in aluminum, and the Paradigm. All were pretty good for me. The General was a great performer and had a great price. The Paradigm also performs great and is a joy to look at.

I have come to realize that not everyone has the skills to use certain vintage GEM and Schick razor blade holders. That said, there is simply no better razor made than the MMOC or Schick Type E for those that can. Both are readily available for less than $20 for the pair. My first generation MMOC cost me 99 cents.
I have an MMOC and don't have any problems with it except for the small diameter of the handle. With arthritic fingers it is often a challenge to handle it. Unfortunately you can't easily change the handle.

Have owned ATT SE1, Vector, Feather shavette, and OREN.

Then picked up an old v1 Claymore. Swapped out the handle for a Razor-Grip.

Sold the prior AC lineup.

(Apologies for messing up your survey.)

A06ADBCF-1487-4154-833E-34809CA23F39.jpeg

I have owned a Cobra, Mongoose, ATT SE1 General in Brass, General in Alumn, and a Hawk. The ATT SE1 was my favorite for a long time but now I prefer the General in Alumn. Lately I have been leaning toward milder razors.
But let me be clear on one thing, I liked them all. They were all good razors and I could be happy with any one of them.

View attachment 1004543
Cool! I've never seen those rubber handles before. Web page doesn't indicate thread size. RAZOR-GRIP but I assume it's a standard size that will fit most modern razors.

I have a toss-up for most favorite SE, namely, Gem Micromatic Clog Pruf Peerless and Schick E2 with Proline blades. Near tangent blade angles are the key technique for consistant results with both razors. Smooth and close shaves, no drama, easy price point. My original model MMOC, no bump, is a close contender. If I want to go towards a luxury razor, Think I'd choose Blackland Sabre, both base plates.

Oopsie, I replied thinking SE not AC. Sorry, no suggestion for AC, I have a RazoRock Blackhawk, I don't like the wide blade format. Again sorry to go off topic, except to say get a Hawk to test the wide blade format with a 30 dollar razor not a 200 dollar in a new format.

Last edited:
D

dangerousrazor

View attachment 1004543

No. Regardeless of the survey, you've offered me a great comparion review, which is very helpful to me. Thanks!

D

dangerousrazor

I have owned a Cobra, Mongoose, ATT SE1 General in Brass, General in Alumn, and a Hawk. The ATT SE1 was my favorite for a long time but now I prefer the General in Alumn. Lately I have been leaning toward milder razors.
But let me be clear on one thing, I liked them all. They were all good razors and I could be happy with any one of them.

Thanks for letting me know your preference. It is really helpful, adding some more details to the poll.

D

dangerousrazor

I'm curious to see the outcome of this survey.

Yes. I've seen some SE, DE surveys but never found one exclusive for AC razors. So I created one. Hope many experienced users participate in the survey.

I had a ATT SE1 for which I used Proline blades. I found the increased width was harder to manoeuvre under my chin and the blade wasn't quite as sharp as the GEM PTFEs in my MMOC and MMCP. So no reason to continue and I sold up the AC option and stuck to GEMs. But frankly I use my R41 and Karve OC E plate more since I prefer the ergonomics and I like Nacet and GSB blades. I keep the MMOC but rarely use it. I've had my SE fling, and the injectors were the first to go.

I have a toss-up for most favorite SE, namely, Gem Micromatic Clog Pruf Peerless and Schick E2 with Proline blades. Near tangent blade angles are the key technique for consistant results with both razors. Smooth and close shaves, no drama, easy price point. My original model MMOC, no bump, is a close contender. If I want to go towards a luxury razor, Think I'd choose Blackland Sabre, both base plates.

Oopsie, I replied thinking SE not AC. Sorry, no suggestion for AC, I have a RazoRock Blackhawk, I don't like the wide blade format. Again sorry to go off topic, except to say get a Hawk to test the wide blade format with a 30 dollar razor not a 200 dollar in a new format.
Is the blackhawk the same as the hawk? Does the BH use AC blades? I have wanted to try one of those if it does. Where to get one?

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Is the blackhawk the same as the hawk? Does the BH use AC blades? I have wanted to try one of those if it does. Where to get one?
Yes, they make several colors and name them. For example the green one is the hulk hawk. You can get them at the Italian baraber website. I have one, they are decent. Still think the Feather Artist Club razor is the way to go with AC blades.

D

dangerousrazor

Hasn't been updated since last Sunday. This thread need more opinions!!

Hasn't been updated since last Sunday. This thread need more opinions!!
One that is missing from the list is the Executive Shaving Claymore made in Scotland. Also with AC blades it is a short step to the superb shavettes, both folding and straight, such as the Feather DX kamisori (my current challenge).

Top Bottom