What's new

Your addiction: Hardware or Software?

What's your addiction?

• Software

• Hardware

• Both

• No addictions at the moment

Results are only viewable after voting.
I'm nearly 4 months into DE wet shaving, and while I started off with the noble goal of saving money (ha ha) I soon developed an addiction to creams. My rotation is currently Proraso Red and Green, Trumpers Coconut, T&H 1805 and the TOBS sample pack.

I'm yet to get hooked on 'hardware' though like many others here. Eg different types of razors, brushes etc. I'm perfectly content with my Merkur 1904, Feather blades and Vulflix Pure Badger brush. For now I've limited my experimentation to creams.So I was curious how many people here were like me, or the opposite (mainly into hardware), obsessed with both, or somehow managed to avoid addiction completely.

Last edited:
For me it's both, but leaning toward software.

Have all the razors I need, but could easily own 1000 creams / soaps / aftershaves.

Soaps and creams are my addiction right now. Only been at it a little over a month and have Proraso, TOBS, Trumpers, Tabac and bunch of samples of creams. Just ordered some soap from Mike's natural soaps and some from Jabonman. The addiction needs to stop. Like you I did this to save money, its not working out that way.:lol:

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
no addictions for me right now. i'm just enjoying the beard. but i was wrapped up good in both hardware and software before the beard.

Initially it was software, but then I recently bought 7 razors, another brush, and a lather bowl. Of course shortly after that I bought some more blades, soap, and aftershave, sigh.... :out:

Bay rum fragrances, I'll have to admit. But more than that, I'll have to second derjoachim, that people's opinions, experiences and information general seems to be my main addiction, as for now. I guess it has something to do with hitting 30 last summer etc.

I went through the cream, soap, and hardware collecting stage. I now have settled on razors and have almost completed my collection.It has taken several years,and I sold razors that I wish I would not have. I now have a policy of not getting rid of any razor for at least a year as they have become too hard and expensive to find.

I would say I am almost set with my razors (I run a Fatboy, A 39C Slant and a 1912) except that I want to add an R41.

My acquisitions are all on the software front now and I have just about got myself under control there (I'm not going to beat myself up about spending 20 euros every few weeks to try out a new cream/soap).

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
Definitely hardware. Specifically, razors. I've got three brushes, and no desire to get anymore at the moment. Creams and soaps I pretty much use one at a time, and maybe try something new when one runs out. I had a minor case of ASAD, but that's almost done (just need to see if I'm Chosen). But razors.... I've got 5 DE Gillettes (with another on the way, and I'm hitting some antique shops today looking for more), two Gem SEs, and a Rolls that isn't shave-ready. The odd thing about my RAD is that it includes cart razors. I like to see how they compare to each other, and to my vintage razors. The more razors in my harem, the happier I am.

Haven't been bitten by the hardware bug yet. Love artisan soaps, and blades, though. Love them so much that I am observing the Sabbatical, albeit from the sidelines.

Just buying creams for now. There are so many to try and I have already found 2 or 3 good blades which work for me. I am searching for that perfect soap / cream. When I get there, it'll be like shampoo, mouthwash and toothpaste. forget about it until it's gone.

Quick bursts of hardware. Bought three brushes and four straights (shavettes) in January, hadn't bought any hardware since August. Packages with soaps, creams and aftershave has arrived regularly since I started a year ago, and from the looks of it that will continue.

Well, hardware got me into DE shaving, and it was my passion, but once I bought most of the razors I wanted to try it became software. Software is just as exciting now, and I just enjoy shaving!

For me it's both, but I lean towards hardware. I'm perfectly happy with my EJ DE89, but I love to experiment with different blades, and this tends to be the bulk of my AD. I think I'd be more into soaps, but I'm so happy with Cella that the urge to experiment has drastically diminished. In non shaving AD's I've moved into the world of Fountain Pens, thanks to the enablers over at the Nib.

Top Bottom