What's new

Your absolute favorite quotation

I have several, but every time I hear the following quote I think of this thread.

“I believe what really happens in history is this: the old man is always wrong; and the young people are always wrong about what is wrong with him. The practical form it takes is this: that, while the old man may stand by some stupid custom, the young man always attacks it with some theory that turns out to be equally stupid.”

Lots of good quotes in this thread. Here are two of my favorites.

"Resentment is like drinking poison and waiting for the other person to die."
Carrie Fisher

"We will find a way or we will make a way"
Hannibal

I had to add this one too.

“You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.”

- Adrian Rogers

I don't know who said it but... Make sure that the light at the end of the tunnel isn't a train bearing down on you.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
Thomas Edison

"Every day you may make progress. Every step may be fruitful. Yet there will stretch out before you an ever-lengthening, ever-ascending, ever-improving path. you know you will never get to the end of the journey. But, this so far from discouraging, only adds to the joy and glory of the climb."
Winston Churchill

No tattoo, but my favorite quote is:
"That's one small step for man; one giant leap for mankind".
Neil Armstrong

"All contributions by corporations to any political committee or for any political purpose should be forbidden by law...."
Republican President Theodore Roosevelt, 1905 annual message to Congress.

I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.

Mark Twain

Was my favorite for a long long time, now it's just a quote I like. I really don't have a true favorite at the moment.

Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter.
-Hemingway

Certainly not a tattoo, but an inspirational quote from one of my heroes, a gentleman, an adventurer, a man's man:

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, and comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Top Bottom