What's new

Your .22 Rimfire

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
4E8992E7-F555-433D-8F19-EF8D604C1B15.jpeg
3EFBD56A-C6E0-49FF-B4F4-6BB1E084BEE1.jpeg

Top picture, Ruger Super Single Six with .22LR cylinder in place, .22 WMR cylinder in the box.
Bottom picture; Ruger 22/45 with some Tandemcross enhancements. Usually wears a suppressor at home. Took it to the range, but the Burris FastFire III battery died.

Last edited:
My first was a Lakefield-Mossberg bolt...early seventies, I would have been under 10 years old. I had a pic of me in pyjamas, with it in front of the Christmas tree. I've got a couple others; a Savage, a Cooey single shot, but that's still my favourite.

Browning Buckmark Hunter for me. Its a great little gun for plinking. The only downside is that its kind of a pain to clean because you cant really field strip it like you can with most guns. All that you can really do is lock the slide back and run a bore snake though it. To disassemble it, you have to remove a bunch of screws that are held in with Loc-Tite and it tells you in the owners manual not to do that very often because it can reduce the lifespan of a gun.
For that reason, I sometimes think maybe I should have bought a Browning 1911-.22 instead but field stripping a 1911 can be a pain too.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Browning Buckmark Hunter for me. Its a great little gun for plinking. The only downside is that its kind of a pain to clean because you cant really field strip it like you can with most guns. All that you can really do is lock the slide back and run a bore snake though it. To disassemble it, you have to remove a bunch of screws that are held in with Loc-Tite and it tells you in the owners manual not to do that very often because it can reduce the lifespan of a gun.
For that reason, I sometimes think maybe I should have bought a Browning 1911-.22 instead but field stripping a 1911 can be a pain too.
Ha! And now you have discovered my dirty little secret:

This is the reason for my love affair with revolvers.

I am lazy!

Not where I can take pictures, but I have several .22s:
  • Ruger Single-Six in stainless steel
  • Ruger MK-II, also in stainless
  • Browning BL-22 - probably my favorite. The trigger isn't light, but I don't think it's the 7 lbs. someone else mentioned. Feels more like about a 4-5 pound trigger. I put a peep sight on it, and it's quite accurate at reasonable .22 distances.
  • Remington Fieldmaster pump .22. Belonged to my Dad, and was the first gun I ever shot - when I was 8, off to the side of I-80 in Wyoming shortly after Dad bought it. We lived in NJ at the time, and he felt the need for some home protection. I think that trip home from Utah was the only time he ever shot it, but he surely made it dance. He didn't like guns much, but after he passed, I dug into his old travel chest where he kept all his military records from WWII, and learned that he was expert with just about anything that went boom.

FarmerTan

True. Theres times Ive wished that I would have bought a revolver. Not only are the easy to clean but they are super cool.
Cool is in the eye of the beholder I suppose, but I will say it makes me a better trigger puller. The take up on a DA revolver is a good training tool.

Now if I could just hit the broad side of that proverbial barn I'd be all set!

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Cool is in the eye of the beholder I suppose, but I will say it makes me a better trigger puller. The take up on a DA revolver is a good training tool.

Now if I could just hit the broad side of that proverbial barn I'd be all set!

Went and did a qualification course at the range today. Scored a 92. First time I have scored that low since I was in the academy at 23 years of age. I couldn’t tell if I felt angry or just felt like crying, even though I was aware of the blurry vision at distance and could visibly tell my hands and my sight picture is becoming less steady.

I was shooting next to a bunch of up and comer’s who were out shooting me without even trying. No experience, just youth. It’s definitely a young man’s game, but still a hard pill to swallow.

Went and did a qualification course at the range today. Scored a 92. First time I have scored that low since I was in the academy at 23 years of age. I couldn’t tell if I felt angry or just felt like crying, even though I was aware of the blurry vision at distance and could visibly tell my hands and my sight picture is becoming less steady.

I was shooting next to a bunch of up and comer’s who were out shooting me without even trying. No experience, just youth. It’s definitely a young man’s game, but still a hard pill to swallow.
Some days... some days you just don't feel it. I recall a particularly nasty day not that long ago I went (excitedly) to the range with my brand new G48. I was rushing, I was drinking coffee, I was in a foul mood, but I sighted in my new pistol.

Man, the next time I took out the pistol, I was miles off target! I looked at my rear sights only to notice the rear was pushed so far to the right, they might as well have fallen off lol!

Some days... It just happens some times. Don't get too down on yourself old-timer :)

FarmerTan

Youth is wasted on the young.

I SURELY didn't appreciate mine my friend.

Side note: enjoying your samples, like a con-a-soo-er! Promise a detailed ?description review soonish. Life, lol.

My 10/22. Shilen barrel, Kidd trigger, Ruger 'deluxe' walnut stock, Leupold 3-9x33 A.O.

View attachment 1041250
Nice, I have one I put together some years back, all stainless, 24" Green Mountain barrel, Kidd trigger in a TI CNC milled trigger housing, Fajan stock with checkered steel Neider buttplate and pistol grip cap, inletted sling swivels, and shadowline cheekpiece. The barrel and stock I lucked into on sale at Midway

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
Here's a few of mine. I have more, but these are the ones that get the most use.

#1: Stevens Favorite Model 1915. I know why this is called the Favorite. Wonderful gun. Light, easy-handling, and accurate.

PhotoGrid_1575605562651.jpg

#2: Romanian M1969. This was my go-to until I got the Stevens. I'd be hard-pressed to say which is more intrinsically accurate, but I tend to shoot a bit better with the Favorite.

PhotoGrid_1575605662067.jpg

#3: Ruger 10/22 carbine. I haven't spent a lot of time with this one. I have no complaints. It's accurate and reliable, but it's also new, and doesn't have the character of my old guns.

PhotoGrid_1575605739081.jpg

#4: Rossi G22. This one's kind of in the same boat as the 10/22. It's not as accurate (or I don't shoot it as well), but it's reliable, and it's got a bit of character, being an old design.

PhotoGrid_1575605831468.jpg

FarmerTan

@Kilroy6644 : please forgive my ignorance, but is that "Favorite" still in production?

My Romanian ain't nearly as pretty as yours, but dang, it makes me look like a heck of a shot!

Top Bottom