What's new

Your .22 Rimfire

I took a few .22's out to a rock pit yesterday and did some plinking.

Honestly I enjoy plinking with rimfires much more than shooting holes in paper targets.

I took my grandfather's .22 Wards fieldmaster. I guess it's a re-labeled Mossberg model 46.( if I remember correctly) This model was only made from 1938 to 1946. Holds 20rds in the tube and is a bolt action. Still shoots to the point of aim when you line the sights up and functions trouble free.

Ruger 10/22 that I bought used from a co worker for $100 back in 1994. It was hitting slightly low. Need to make an adjustment. Probably put more rounds through that Rifle than any of my other guns. My favorite plinker as it's light weight and will use a 25rd magazine. So I don't have to reload it as often as my other .22s.

Browning Buckmark that was my first .22 pistol. I shoot it more accurately than any handgun I own. I just about always bring it with me, when I go out shooting.

North American Arms single action 4" Earl revolver that is .22 and has an interchangeable cylinder that converts it to use .22 mag. It's a little light, so you have to hold it really steady when you aim and shoot. But if you do your part. It shoots to where you aim. Only holds 5rds and takes a little longer to reload as you have to remove the cylinder and knock out the spent casing and put in new cartridges.

Fired off about 225 rounds of American Eagle in just under 2hrs. Just wish the rock pit was closer to home and .22 ammo was easy and cheap to find now days. If it were, I'd be out there all the time.

I have a Ruger PR. Also a Ruger 10/22. Both are great guns. That 10/22 just works. Its one of my few guns that I really don't clean that much, and it just runs and runs like an old sewing machine.

When I need some serious varminting around my house, I pull out my Tikka T1x in .17 HMR. Thing is like a laser out to 150 yards, which is as far as I need it to be. Humane too - you hit a red squirrel with that and it damn near blows them in half. They die as if hit by lightning. Prob hydrostatic shock given the bullet velocity. If you want to eat your varmints, I don't recommend it, but if you are doing pest eradication ...

Got this as a Christmas gift from my Dad..50 years ago!, it still shoots great. It's a Remington Nylon 66.
IMG_1182.JPG

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I am working on a little project to upgrade my S&W SW22 Victory. I have had this pistol for about a year, and it shoot incredibly well. So I am not sure how much actual grouping improvement I will see from this. But its a fun project, and the gun look so much cooler than stock. TK Hive grips, mag release, mag extenders, hardened steel extractor, and Charging ring. Volquartsen Carbon Fiber barrel. AT3 Micro Red dot. The only thing I have left is to upgrade the trigger. The stock trigger on that gun is outstanding. But to have 2 pound hair trigger will be even better. I'll add a compensator to the new barrel when I move out of New Jersey. LOL. Plus I may change out the stock poly pic rail for something a bit more solid. I also got a new case, and made myself a little 22 pistol kit for grab and go range time. Got my old school Buckmark in there too.

2021-05-13 13.17.27.jpg

2021-05-14 17.59.19.jpg

View attachment 1040304
Ruger American 22lr, Boyd stock, ProStaff 3x9. Most accurate rimfire I have, will hold about 1/4 minute if I do my part.

View attachment 1040306
Henry Golden Boy 22lr. Funnest rimfire, can put every shot 1" behind a bunny running across the field...

View attachment 1040307
Marlin 7000. My best bunny gun, usually puts a few in the pot.

View attachment 1040308
Wester Field (Montgomery Wards) single shot I got for Christmas when I was around 8-9. Lots of bunnies, squirrels, birds put in the pot. Restored it a bit a few years ago, still a great shooter.
You need to get the aftermarket trigger for the Marlin. My kept on cracking. They run about $80 and are not hard to install. Worth every penny.

.22 Rimfire, I really like. 22 lr. pistols, rifles, and conversation. Right now, I have 6 or 7, had 20 or 30 (I don't always make good choices).

One of my favorite that I'll never part with is a Winchester model 74 that my Grandfather gave to me when I was 10. He bought it new in 1941 for about $18.50 which would probably be $300 to $400 today. I had never really thought about it until recently but that would have been a lot for him back then. Until he started working for Frisco in Tulsa back in the early 50's he was dirt poor. He told me stories about hunting squirrel, rabbit, even Quail with this rifle, only taking 3 or 4 rounds of ammo with him, just enough to bring food home to his family. He was an excellent shot. My father confirmed he had seen him more than a couple of times shoot a Quail running down a dirt road in the head.

This rifle is still in great condition with only handling wear. He used his firearms as tools to put food on the table and was almost OCD about about taking care of them. I learned a lot from him. He passed away about 25 years ago but I still miss him.

I recently did some research on this rifle and was surprised about some of what I learned. The Winchester model 74 was made from 1939 to 1955 with the exception of 1943 due to the war. About 400,000 were made. In 1942 some were sold to Great Britain as training rifles and some were outfitted with scopes and suppressors to be issued to the Coastal British Resistance Forces when it appeared that a German invasion was imminent. They were to be used for undercover, close range war from behind enemy lines, targeting enemy officers and sabotaging the German campaign. Some of the reasons this rifle was chosen was accuracy and quietness.

2021-06-27 21.19.30.jpg
Winchester sniper rifle model 74, bottom left.

2021-06-27 21.21.07.jpg

2021-06-27 23.49.47.jpg

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Wow! That is so beautiful! Obviously well loved my friend.
.22 Rimfire, I really like. 22 lr. pistols, rifles, and conversation. Right now, I have 6 or 7, had 20 or 30 (I don't always make good choices).

One of my favorite that I'll never part with is a Winchester model 74 that my Grandfather gave to me when I was 10. He bought it new in 1941 for about $18.50 which would probably be $300 to $400 today. I had never really thought about it until recently but that would have been a lot for him back then. Until he started working for Frisco in Tulsa back in the early 50's he was dirt poor. He told me stories about hunting squirrel, rabbit, even Quail with this rifle, only taking 3 or 4 rounds of ammo with him, just enough to bring food home to his family. He was an excellent shot. My father confirmed he had seen him more than a couple of times shoot a Quail running down a dirt road in the head.

This rifle is still in great condition with only handling wear. He used his firearms as tools to put food on the table and was almost OCD about about taking care of them. I learned a lot from him. He passed away about 25 years ago but I still miss him.

I recently did some research on this rifle and was surprised about some of what I learned. The Winchester model 74 was made from 1939 to 1955 with the exception of 1943 due to the war. About 400,000 were made. In 1942 some were sold to Great Britain as training rifles and some were outfitted with scopes and suppressors to be issued to the Coastal British Resistance Forces when it appeared that a German invasion was imminent. They were to be used for undercover, close range war from behind enemy lines, targeting enemy officers and sabotaging the German campaign. Some of the reasons this rifle was chosen was accuracy and quietness.

View attachment 1288393 Winchester sniper rifle model 74, bottom left.

View attachment 1288394

View attachment 1288395
That story reminds me of the only time my dad ever took this ADHD boy and his little brother hunting for wabbits.

I have two memories of being in our woods with my dad. That time, and another when I was probably 20 and we saw a huge red fox, and a huge ground hog.

Man, I sure wish I could just sit and listen to his stories one more time.

A CZ452 is one to hang on to. They have a threaded on barrel, compared to the slip fit barrel of the 455 and 457....If you stumble upon a 453 at a fair price snag it. They are basically a 452 with a set trigger. When new they cost about $100 over the price of a 452. The price gap in the used market is generally greater now.

A CZ452 is one to hang on to. They have a threaded on barrel, compared to the slip fit barrel of the 455 and 457....If you stumble upon a 453 at a fair price snag it. They are basically a 452 with a set trigger. When new they cost about $100 over the price of a 452. The price gap in the used market is generally greater now.

Shortly after I got the CZ I did not not like the trigger and at the time there was a guy selling trigger adjustment kits and I can’t remember who, it consisted of some various pieces of stainless tubing and springs and was fairly easy to do and did not require any permanent mod to the rifle, it reduced the trigger creep to almost none.

The rifle has had literally less than 200 rounds of Match ammo down the barrel and sits in my gun safe.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member

View attachment 1288393 Winchester sniper rifle model 74, bottom left.

View attachment 1288394

View attachment 1288395

I have my Grandfathers Remington Scoremaster. It is pretty awesome to have those keepsakes.

Shortly after I got the CZ I did not not like the trigger and at the time there was a guy selling trigger adjustment kits and I can’t remember who, it consisted of some various pieces of stainless tubing and springs and was fairly easy to do and did not require any permanent mod to the rifle, it reduced the trigger creep to almost none.

I have done trigger jobs on many CZ 452 and 455 rifles. I make my own shims from brass tubing. I have an assortment of springs, but often get the best results from cutting the factory trigger spring down.

The kit you used may have been the YoDave kit.

Last edited:

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
I have a YoDave spring in my CZ. It's nice but I am waiting for Brian (Triggers by Scar) to get to my name on the wait list for his new 2-stage unit. It can be set from 6 oz (3+3) to something like 32 ounces total. Add an almost flat trigger shoe and I was sold! Been eyeing a Begara B14R but CZ is starting to ship their 457 long range precision model. Don't care about the long range part (well, much) as much as the adjustability of the stock.
CZ-457-LRP.png

Top Bottom