• one of these Stirling Synthetics, mostly because I like the handle:
    proxy.php
  • TOBS Sandalwood cream
  • B&M Seville soap
  • a Futur clone
  • another tube of Cremo, just as a superlather ingredient
  • more Proraso Red AS
  • more Mennen Skin Bracer
  • 2 bottles Reuzel aftershave (probably will not wait until 2019)
  • Caprina Fresh Goats Milk Soap w. Shea Butter (recently determined to be my favourite bar soap).
  • maybe a shavette. If it does not suit me for shaving, it will make a great knife for arts & crafts projects.
  • Large Moss scuttle, in that nice blueish-purple glaze like the pedestal bowl on the right:
    proxy.php
    I live about a 90 minute drive from her studio.

Last edited:
Hopefully, nothing other than ASB which will run out during the year. Could be talked into 30-50 blades from a brand I like, but do not have (Astra SP, Polsilver). Otherwise, only screaming bargains need apply.

@Noodles I may be able to help you out with the Astra SP's. I bought a 100 pack when I first got into this and they don't work that well for me. I'm moving on to Nacet's. I'll have to check and see how many I have left (they were fall backs as I worked through various 5 packs)...all you'll need to do is covering shipping, if you're interested.

In the last month I've amassed a ridiculous amount of soaps and AS, straight razors (10 to be exact), 5 handles that need knots, and DE blades.

My needs:
- Atoma 400
- Atoma 1200
- Chosera 1, 3, 5K
- Lapping Plate

What I will buy:
- Any A&E Grooming (The Club) LE soaps/AS
- Other LE Soaps (APR, Noble Otter, B&M, etc.)
- Knots for my handles

Wants:
- Shell Cordovan Strop
- More Wholly Kaw soaps w/ matching AS (4 come to mind)
- a JNAT
- A couple more DE handles (still trying to find the right one)
- A Portland Razor Co. custom SR
- An Ali's Blade SR
- I'm sure there's more, it's just not coming to me right now, LOL

As well, my daughters boyfriend just left for Marine Corps boot camp and I'm going to get him setup and teach him how to wet shave. Therefore, I'll need to buy a nice dopp bag and I'll give him everything else to get started.

I may buy some of what I am looking for yet this year, depending on what I can find during the holiday sales and what I need to add $$$ wise to get to free shipping for any possible online orders.....

1) after I zero in on another blade that works for my face, I will probably get 100 of whatever blade that is
2) Razorock .84 GC Razor
3) Semogue 620 Brush
4) Razorock Bruce Brush (definitely do not need, but it is a want)
5) various soaps
6) always looking for a unique/vintage blade bank - hopefully I can find one I want to purchase

Last edited:
Asked Mrs Claus for a Georgetown Pottery G12 scuttle and a travel lather bowl

I want to get back into straight razor shaving so I’ll prob end up purchasing a straight razor and strop at some point as well as a few EDT or EDCs (never really got in to colognes). I’d like to sell or use up my heavily scented soaps and aftershaves and stick with more barbershop/neutral soaps and splashes and use edt sprays for scent, if that makes sense.

This isn't a real budget or restraint, but more of an educated guess based on current practice and predicted needs:
  • 1 stick of Tabac soap to replace the one I'm on now
  • 50-pack of Polsilver SI blades
  • Replacement bottle of A/S, whichever one runs out – probably Tabac
So, maybe $40 worth of goods at most.

Thanks @albsat for the great idea! Having failed the 2017 and 2018 Restraints, this is probably more my speed. Like the OP, I don't need anything, but want many things! However, money doesn't grow on trees. And similar to albsat, many of my purchases were impulses and at least half didn't work out! This year so far has seen seven impulse purchases (excluding blades), and 4 were no good for me, and the last hasn't been tried yet!

So my list of wants:
  • No new razors, but Karve open comb plate if one ever appears. Stainless Steel version of the razor is interesting but not needed.
  • SynBad in 26mm knot
  • A tried soap if one of the new ones is sub-par.
  • No bulk blade purchases, but tucks only if something looks intriguing.
Too many exceptions for the Restraint, but giving myself permission for only a few things might be the key to keeping this traditional shaving thing more economical!

I might bit the bullet and score a tub of artisan soap otherwise I go on a limited budget so I just get what I need, use it up, then move on to something else.

If I have to guess, I'd say under $40 for the year.

I'm new to this whole thing, so I'm in buy and try mode for a while. Here is my want list (that I know of) for next year:
  1. A boar brush to compare with the two badger brushes I already own.
  2. A few more soaps and creams, bought on site while in London next May. I'm hoping they'll let me take a whiff of their fragrance before buying. Right now all I have is Proraso white soap, and Trumper Lime cream. I also have a sampler pack from Wholly Kaw coming in the mail.
  3. I'm keeping my eyes out for a gold-tone Gillette Aristocrat in good shape. Over the holidays, I'll visit a few antique shops and thrift stores in various places where we'll be traveling. Also keeping an eye on eBay, but they seem to be going for very high prices there.
  4. Maybe a pottery lather bowl if I see one I really like. I've been collecting a piece of pottery from most of my occasional international trips for the last couple of decades, so I already have a few pieces I might try out. I just don't want them to slip out of wet hands...they hold some good memories for me.
Greg

Outside of Old Spice aftershave, I have no plans to purchase anything, unless I use up all my shaving cream supply. I have approximately 50 each of Astra SPs, and Personna Reds--averaging 8 to 10 shaves per blade.

I don't need anything but:
  • Plan to purchase a puck or two of Williams. I am curious about this most polarizing of soaps. I don't expect greatness but hoping it will at least work as a all-in-one camping soap.
  • Likely purchase Captain's Choice 45th Parallel. I liked the scent and performance of a sample.
  • Wish is to purchase a PantaRei ceramic soap dish with soap. International shipping has kept me from purchasing.

1. Birth razor, or interesting SR
Hopefully don't find them both at the same time, I'm on the purchasing sabbatical as well :)

I literally have enough shaving supplies for maybe 1.5 years of shaving. Soap/Shampoo bars, on the other hand, is where my budget is. Still in the process of finding out which scents I like most, and I tend to gravitate to cologne and citrus varieties.

I'm all set for 2019, Only thing I might "need"
1. SE blades, I might have enough not sure.
2. Thayers medicated/nivea sensitive for after shave and balm. Have enough for at least 6 months.

Things I will save for and see if I still want them around next black Friday 2019
1. Rex ambassador
2. Blackland blackbird or maby a new blackland offering by then.
3. Unkown/Somthing else on black Friday :302:

Other than that I'm set for years on DE blades and have enough brushes and soaps. The soaps is the hardest thing for me to control, always finding deals or scents I want to try. This thread was nice made me re evaluate and set a goal. No more soaps til 2020 will be my goal :) god help us all :thumbup:

I don't really need anything. I've been at wetshaving for ~9 months now, and bit hard with the AD's. I only forsee myself buying a couple of items in thecoming year (go away soap, you're embarassing me!).

Yaqi fantip brush
Maybe deepen my stock of Nacet blades in case of apocalypse

If I make any other purchases, hopefullly it's for SWMBO, who I'm trying to get into DE. We'll see...first step is the brush and soap on the way. Also, I got my dad into wetshaving, and he might need help converting his friend.

I don't plan things - I'm almost wholly spontaneous. Well, I was a jazz musician for a long time and improvisation was how I earned my money!

So...... haven't got a clue. I'd hope to sell more than I buy. Hugely overspent in 2018.

Hello there,

As God gives us days to enjoy on the earth, I like to make a plan of what I will buy next year. So far this year I bought 3-4 items out of impulse, which didn't turn as I hoped for.

I thought to create a list for my future shaving items. Everyone who finds it useful can create a list of his wishes so he can control his spending budget.

Anyone wants to join, please feel free to post.

So here is my future list :

1. Zenith manchurian brush
2. A two band brush
3. Omega 48 and 98 boar brush
4. A horse brush
5. 2 - 4 aftershave balms or liquids
6. No De blades
7. No creams or soaps
8. An E2 Injector
9. A MMOC razor

Number 1, 4 and 5 are my priority.

What is your plan for 2019? Will you make one?

So far I have bought an aftershave and 20 de blades. I think I have broken point 6, but costs has been under 5 usd.

I think I will remove point 8 ( I might get a budget de Razor instead) and point 4 also (I am enjoying my synthetic brushes a lot and probably will skip the horse brush.) But let's see.

How is it going the 2019 budget plan for you guys? Everything under control?

This year I have purchased a Schick type G injector and .84 base plate Game Changer. I also want to get a Starling.

I bought the GC .84 right at the end of last year.
So thus far, there’s been zero purchases made. I’m ok with that actually. Hopefully I’ll make my first one around March.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Top Bottom