What's new

Your 2016 Nib Resolutions!

I'm going to finish a bottle of ink this year. I am currently halfway through a bottle of de Atramentis Benjamin Franklin, and if I keep writing at my current pace, I have a decent shot to finish it by next January.

I'm new to the nib but but have been lurking. I don't know if this fits here, but I consider myself a bit of a woodworker, but have never turned a pen. In a few hours, I will be turning my first one, a slimline. I've got about a dozen wood blanks and a couple acrylic & 3 pen sets so the only thing left to do is decide which ones to use.

I also intend to turn a fountain pen and a dip pen in the coming weeks. I'm in a few shaving restraints so I will use my shaving budget for pen supplies to help keep me in the restraints. Sounds like cheating but any lawyer will tell you I'm just exposing a loophole :thumbup:

I think I'm a little burned out on ink sampling, so want to finish up the samples I have remaining and stick with the bottled ink I have.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I'm new to the nib but but have been lurking. I don't know if this fits here, but I consider myself a bit of a woodworker, but have never turned a pen. In a few hours, I will be turning my first one, a slimline. I've got about a dozen wood blanks and a couple acrylic & 3 pen sets so the only thing left to do is decide which ones to use.

I also intend to turn a fountain pen and a dip pen in the coming weeks. I'm in a few shaving restraints so I will use my shaving budget for pen supplies to help keep me in the restraints. Sounds like cheating but any lawyer will tell you I'm just exposing a loophole :thumbup:

Sounds like a fun project. Best of luck with it! If you feel like it, start a thread to keep us updated on your progress.

strop

Now half as wise

Be careful. Turning is addicting! My afternoon project tomorrow is to modify my sharpening station for the lathe!

My resolution is to be much more discriminating when looking for pens in antique stores. At this moment in time, if it isn't a full sized Parker 51 Aeromatic or a really nice Sheaffer Touchdown I plan on letting the thing stay in its spot.

SWMBO says this resolution will hold until I see something interesting... She's probably right!

My resolution is to be much more discriminating when looking for pens in antique stores. At this moment in time, if it isn't a full sized Parker 51 Aeromatic or a really nice Sheaffer Touchdown I plan on letting the thing stay in its spot.

SWMBO says this resolution will hold until I see something interesting... She's probably right!
I think mine will last until January 23. That's when I'm going to the Philadelphia Pen Show. :001_rolle

Goals for 2016;

Attend the Dallas Pen Show
Purchase 5 additional Esterbrooks
To purchase an Edison
To purchase a custom made pen
Of course more ink and paper

Lets see

1. Continue my sabbatical on TWSBI
2. Try to finish a bottle of ink
3. Buy no pens... in fact try to winnow my collection
4. Repair the 51 "51"'s I have in parts
5. Attend the Supershow in DC

Quite a few projects for this year,

1. Source decent nibs for a couple of Indian eye droppers
2. Finish a few bottles of ink
3. Buy a loupe
4. Figure out how to write well with a Sailor zoom nib that I don't use enough
5. Visit Deccan pens
6. Buy a Japanese pen, either Pilot or Platinum.

1. Write more letters and cards (so...more than one)
  2. Re-learn cursive/script
  3. Bait Snargle into posting a personalized writing sample :whistling:

Last edited:

strop

Now half as wise
I don't like making resolutions I know I probably can't keep, so there is no point in saying I'll use more restraint in buying pens this year!:laugh::lol:

What I will resolve is to

1) Get all of my pens into working order.
2) Write more in my journal.
3) Attend a pen show. I have DC already marked on the calendar!:thumbup:

1. Write more letters and cards (so...more than one)
  2. Re-learn cursive/script
  3. Bait Snargle into posting a personalized writing sample :whistling:

This is all you're getting from me, you young whippersnapper! :laugh:

$IMG_3084[1].jpg

I am seriously working on improving my cursive writing. I have been working on that project daily since the end of December and I already see big improvements. I would like to learn a bit of calligraphy, so I picked up some nibs and a holder and once I get to the point where my cursive is considered "good" I will work on learning to do calligraphy.

Improve my writing/print

Find another sub 50.00 vintage I like beyond Parker 45s and Easterbrooks, particularly flighters

Try to pass the love of FPs to one other person this year

Mine is to resist buying cheaper pens and to save up and buy better quality pens

This!

If I apply my experience from my journey into wet shaving to my journey ahead with fountain pens, then I need to stop impulse-buying cheap pens that I know deep down are not for me, and instead buy the pens that I have researched properly and if that means saving up, then do it - get some self restraint and save up.

Top Bottom