What's new

"Younger" fragrances (the smell of your personality)

There's a lot of descriptions of "old man" smell... which always seem to be the very woodsy, musky, and smokier scents. I had tried on the original Kenneth cole scent the other day, and my girlfriend said I could only pull that off if I was 10 years older and had on a coat and tie.

This made me think that the scent you wear really can be dictated by your age, and to some extent, your personality. Being a 26 year old Scuba Diving instructor, I obviously cannot pull off original Kenneth Cole. Changing locations and atmospheres quite frequently, I have a rotation that I fit four different fragrances into.

1. On the boat (at work): Polo Sport seems like the perfect scent when I'm in a bathing suit and tee-shirt. It's fresh, light, and aquatic
2. Off the boat (casual): Burberry touch is perfect... clean, warm, inviting
3. Off the boat (formal): Canali... warmer and more mature, but subtle enoungh that I can pull it off
4. Out on the town (the attention grabber): This is where I'll get quite a few laughs and guffaws, but Sean John Unforgivable is a huge head turner. It's supposed to be similar to Creed Millesime Imperial, but the scent is so different and distinct. This one easily gets the most attention from the ladies, and the good kind.

Anybody else have similar experiences?

Sam, I'm your age and I also notice that some colognes are for me, someday but not now. On the other hand, my girlfriend tends to prefer the "older" fragrances. I had a bottle of Creed Millesime Imperial that I loved and would wear out, I got a lot of compliments on it, but eventually sold it off, because she hated it so much, I never got to wear it.

I don't wear cologne on a daily basis, so I don't have a basic choice. But some of the Younger ones in my arsenal are Floris Santal and Penhaligons Endymion. For more Evening wear, I like to pull out Penhaligons LP #9 and for formal I go with Floris Sandalwood or Opus 1870. L'Occitane also has some great less formal good "Fall" scents, I really enjoy.

I enjoy wearing Floris Santal and JF, Pen's Endymion, CK One, and Higher Energy by Christian Dior, which are all scents that I'd consider the smell of my personality and also "younger."

I know you didn't ask, but the old man in me :wink: likes wearing heavier fragrances like Cerruti Image, Pen's Blenheim Bouquet, and Floris Vetiver.

I have three younger scents that I use, however they have not seen much daylight since I started my Penhaligon's collection.

1. Envy by Gucci
2. Le Male by Jean Paul Gaultier
3. Don't laugh... Tommy by Tommy Hilfiger.

Through college I wore Givenchy pour homme Blue Label for occasions requiring decorum and Azzaro Chrome as a daily fragrance. Now, as a professional, I feel like I have a lot more flexibility to wear more "mature" fragrances. At 26 I would hardly call myself old, but after 10 years of aquatic/citrus scents I really welcome the opportunity to branch out without feeling as if I'm walking across campus or behind the bar posing as someone more successful and mature.

Fair point, but I dunno.

What one person thinks smells old, another may not. I'm sure somebody think Blenheim smells old, but I really don't. I quite like wearing the stuff, too. Either for work, or it also smells kind of fresh and outdoorsy too, so I will wear it more casually. (That said, when I am actually going to be out in the woods, I want to smell the woods, not some woodsy smelling cologne.)

I also really like Green Irish Tweed, which I have not idea whether anyone would think of as old or young.

There are some that smell I bit older to me. Those I will wear only for work, usually only when a suit is called for, when I want to project (to myself as much as anyone else) a little less of the younger man image. Brooks Brothers 1818 comes to mind. Also Knize 10, if pulling out all the stops. Opus 1870.

Oh, I really like Tam Dao too. Can't decide whether it smells older, younger, or neither, but I love it too much to care, or to restrict it to suit wearing times.

For a date, I definitely don't want to smell "old" but am likely to go with Floris Vetiver (or Penhaligons Endymion, if really playing for keeps).... I guess that's another that I don't think smells old, but where I'm not sure I would get consensus.

-Mo

You can add T&H 1805 to your aquatic scents. I think it's timeless as far as it's user base goes. Great for young and old. Very potent and a little goes a long way. One of my favorites.

M

modern man

I am a young guy (the big 27) but I don't load on the cologne much.

I think the dudes my age put on some fowl stuff and wayyyyyyyyy too much of it.

I do put it on for an evening out.

Tabac
Knize Ten
Polo Black (wife's choice)
Drakkar Nior
Brooks Brothers 1818

For the rest of the time, aftershave works just fine (nothing wrong with Aqua Velva).

Right now, I'm really a big fan (and not just me, hehe :biggrin: ) of :

- Armani Code

- XS Black (smells a bit girly compared to the original XS, but somehow it really works)

I think that my favourite of the 'Younger Fragrances' has to be Trumper's GFT and followed closely by T&H 1805. They are both made with quality ingredients and smell classier than department store colognes but still are quite modern.

A young cologne to me is Drakkar Noir, but only because I remember wearing it back in 5th and 6th grade. Too much of it.

I'm 29 and have actually grown to really enjoy Knize 10. It's not 'old man' smell to me - more of a 'gentleman's' cologne. I also like how it doesn't smell like anything 90% of everyone else my age wears. It's good to be unique.

As far as an 'old man' scent - Old Spice and English Leather come to mind. The former I kinda like, the latter not so much.

A young cologne to me is Drakkar Noir, but only because I remember wearing it back in 5th and 6th grade. Too much of it.

I'm 29 and have actually grown to really enjoy Knize 10. It's not 'old man' smell to me - more of a 'gentleman's' cologne. I also like how it doesn't smell like anything 90% of everyone else my age wears. It's good to be unique.

As far as an 'old man' scent - Old Spice and English Leather come to mind. The former I kinda like, the latter not so much.

At 29, you are not old

I normally wear Racquets when I'm at work (i.e. school, since I'm a teacher). I'm not sure you could call it a young cologne. My wife likes the ones that "smell like oldies" and she finds that one to be powdery on me.

And I wouldn't consider Green Irish Tweed to be young or old. According to Google, both Prince Charles and Matt Damon wear GIT on occasion.

Top Bottom