What's new

You want how much for how many blades?

Mr. Crafty and I were in our local grocery store on Friday. At the check-out, we spotted something new on the little end cap that is typically full of sugary drinks and little bottles of Tylenol.

DE blades.

Great, you think. But wait! There's more!

The blades are the store brand. Not necessarily a bad thing, but not a great thing either. And then, we see the number and price.

Ready? 10 blades. $11.

You may now laugh. Then discuss.

Yes, I've also found ridiculously high prices at CVS and Walgreens. I'll subit to them when I travel, but they're making a killing off those blades.

I cannot remember the exact price but at Shoppers Drug Mart here in town 10 Wilkinson are somewhere around $15. Cheapest I've stumbled on are Rexall brand (I think they are actually Personna) at $4.50 for 5 blades.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Down under, every supermarket and pharmacy have the Brazilian Wilkinson Sword DE blades. $12.95 AUD for 1 pack of 10 blades...

They are as good as Merkur...

Hereabouts (Atlanta Georgia) the CVS chain has nearly annihilated other drugstore species. I've looked frequently out of curiosity and amongst the very extensive selection of every current cartridge in all the types of packaging, the only DE they carry is their own brand...think it amounted to about 60 cents per blade. It's in a hard-to-find space on the racks, when they have any left.

The Kroger supermarkets used to carry them but now it seems they have absolutely nothing but cartridges. Completely discontinued stocking them. Haven't checked Publix yet.

Recall that when some people see a DE razor, they ask "can you even get blades for those things anymore?"

- Bill

Mr. Crafty and I were in our local grocery store on Friday. At the check-out, we spotted something new on the little end cap that is typically full of sugary drinks and little bottles of Tylenol.

DE blades.

Great, you think. But wait! There's more!

The blades are the store brand. Not necessarily a bad thing, but not a great thing either. And then, we see the number and price.

Ready? 10 blades. $11.

You may now laugh. Then discuss.

They are obviously pricing them at similar level to cartridge blades.

Down under, every supermarket and pharmacy have the Brazilian Wilkinson Sword DE blades. $12.95 AUD for 1 pack of 10 blades...

IMHO....... that is not saying much. Even around here, quite a few places (chemists, dept stores etc) stock DE blades and if you were desperate you might actually purchase them. In any case, they are considerably cheaper than cartridges but buying blades in bulk over the internet is the way to go.

Huh. Must not have an established price store to store.

One of the Publix stores near me was charging $6 - the same as CVS which was next store. Another Publix only a block away was charging $2.50. I asked the first Publix store manager why the difference in price, i.e., I asked him if he was engaging in area pricing (a retail term for charging more because that is what your competition is doing thereby increasing your gross profit margins). I did not get an answer other than he would look into it. Since I never buy DE blades at Publix I did not pursue it.

I got some wilkonson sword blades at walmart today for $1.59/10

We were just in Walmart yesterday. We almost never go there but were after something only they carry. But as usual, I digress. We looked for de blades while there and found absolutely zip.

I really like Merkur. They are my favorite out of maybe 10 or so brands that I tried. But of course, YMMV.

And I agree that buying them online in bulk ends up being cheaper, even for the more expensive brands. I wasn't about to pay that much for a generic blade that I haven't tried. Nosir.

We were just in Walmart yesterday. We almost never go there but were after something only they carry. But as usual, I digress. We looked for de blades while there and found absolutely zip.

Here we have 3 or 4 Walmarts around. I've seen the DE blades at only one of them. The others didn't have them, but had a lot of empty slots for blades / cartridges.

The main thing that occurs to me when I see this kind of pricing is what it must be like for an old fixed-income retiree still using DE without internet access.

I have noticed the same thing. You can find DE blades locally, but the are typically ~$7/ 10 pack. The only way I can see buying something like this would be in a pinch when traveling. Even still, if I fly without checking luggage, I usually break down and use a cartridge razor for the day or two I'm gone from home.

Top Bottom