What's new

You Spoke: Worst Tier Modern DE Blades

The Dorco Prime Platinum STP-301 blades are actually pretty good (and very inexpensive). The ST-300s are a bit on the dull side so maybe you felt you had to apply more pressure to get a close shave with them.
No, I shaved as I normally would. I shave gently and make certain that I'm not using undue pressure. I bought them because they were inexpensive and I thought they would serve well in my Parker 96r.

* buuuzzzz* Wrong answer! (Thanks for playing)! I paid the price.

No, I shaved as I normally would. I shave gently and make certain that I'm not using undue pressure. I bought them because they were inexpensive and I thought they would serve well in my Parker 96r.

* buuuzzzz* Wrong answer! (Thanks for playing)! I paid the price.
You said that "they kept nicking you". B-z-z-z! Incorrect! YOU kept nicking you! I don't think the blades leapt out of the razor to attack you!

:scared: 😁

Probably why YMMV is so popular around here...

The biggest factor, IMO, in the YMMV factor is pairing up of blade to razor. Go try to shave with a Treet Black Beauty in a Gillette Tech or newer model razors - they absolutely suck. When I put that same blade in a Goodwill or Old Type, I get a smooth & close shave.
Opinion polls rating blades are completely useless, unless everyone uses the same razor. And in that case it only shows which blades work best in that particular razor.
Amen, with one codicil. Same razor, same blade, same technique, and same face. We’re all different.

Curly Out

I've amassed a good selection of blades, and had to dig deep to find any that were really bad. Top of the bad list is a Czech blade, but it's a Carbon Steel blades: Tiger Carbon steel is the only blade I've been unable to finish a shave with.

I've amassed a good selection of blades, and had to dig deep to find any that were really bad. Top of the bad list is a Czech blade, but it's a Carbon Steel blades: Tiger Carbon steel is the only blade I've been unable to finish a shave with.
I'd mail you my carbon Tatras, but you'd get the same experience if you shaved with an envelope flap instead.

God knows I tried the Dorco ST300 in my KCG. It still kept nicking me. "Made in Vietnam" didn't impress me either.

If anyone is interested in 90 Dorco blades, I'll PIF them.

They're just not for me.
Or possibly they're not for the KCG.
They worked beautifully in my Futur copy.

I'd mail you my carbon Tatras, but you'd get the same experience if you shaved with an envelope flap instead.
I've found that carbon blades seem to be more razor-sensitive than any of the stainless types. I get really mediocre shaves when using "newer" vintage razors, and suprisingly good results with razors such as Goodwill, New LC, Old Type.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
As I recall, the carbon Tiger was really surprisingly good. For me. Blades and Scents are neck and neck for the most "Your Mileage May Vary" variable...

I don't know what it is. Maybe it's because I'm so new (only been using DE razors for about 5 months), but I can't tell much difference (yet?) between different blades. They all seem to work pretty well for me. Maybe I'm just lucky?

Ah, I thought that when all I had was an adjustable razor. I adjusted it to suit the blade. If you stick to one non-adjustable razor you should notice a difference. Some are very sharp, some are smooth, some are aggressive and some mild. Some give you 2 decent shaves, some give you 12.
I've just started a thread about judging all blades by one razor, Razorock Teck II. An inexpensive but well-regarded razor, so a lot of people own one; they're cheap living where you do. $10.
Most of us own too many razors, and it gets in the way of assessing blades.
It's possible that you are unconsciously adjusting your technique to suit the equipment you are using. If so, well done.

I may have been hasty to put down Bolzano as one of the worst blades I have used. In my sampler pack, I have two Bolzano blades. The first one I used was indeed terrible and was one of the worst blades that I have used. But the second blade was 180 degrees better. I can only chalk it up to quality control issues. The blades did not state where they were made Germany or Egypt. Lesson learned is not to judge a blade based only on using one blade, it could be a dud!

Top Bottom