What's new

You must try this...

I'm still new to most of this, but one thing I have learned is that as a group, we are always on the lookout for something new. Now, there are the established brands, the three T's, Proraso, etc. What I'm wondering is, what have you found, whether on ebay, surfing the web, or on a local basis, basically a "no name" item that makes you want to say, "You must try this!"?

Randy

Waikiki "Comfortcaine" instant relief pure aloe gel (94% concentration) with cooling lidocaine. Hands down cannot be touched by any other product I have used in terms of soothing/healing/and combating razor burn.

Howard,

Which shave soaps did you try?

Randy

Randy,

I think I ended up trying most all of them (except maybe the unscented). I asked for a "sampler" and explained to her that I was new to using a brush with soap, etc. She was very helpful and explained how her soaps contain a type of clay that makes them slippery, etc. She also suggested some (her husband and sons favorites), although I don't remember which they were.

Granted, it's been a while and I've tried and have a TON of soaps and creams, etc. Maybe they weren't as good as I remember (her service certianly will be) compared to Charles, etc. However - they also worked GREAT in the shower!! Really gentle (but slippery) and an EXCELLENT gentle scent.

joel said:
Waikiki "Comfortcaine" instant relief pure aloe gel (94% concentration) with cooling lidocaine. Hands down cannot be touched by any other product I have used in terms of soothing/healing/and combating razor burn.

Where can you buy this? Price?

Darkwolf,

Generally, you can melt glycerine soaps in the microwave, and these look like they should be fine. If you want to experiment with a soap, cut off a small piece and give it a zap.

Randy

Wow, that's an old zombie someone resurrected!

There's a lot to see if you look at some of the more current threads. When this was first posted the Three T's (GFT, TOBS, and T&H), Proraso, Cella, Williams, MWF and Tabac were probably the only soaps that were easily available. There weren't even much if any, artisan soaps available.

Is there anything available in your area? Good starting soaps and creams would be something like TOBS (Taylor of Old Bond Streat) and Proraso because they are widely available and easy to lather for a beginner. I would avoid MWF (Mitchel's Wool Fat) and Williams because they are difficult to lather.

Other than that, try looking at some of the threads here and in the cream forum to see what people like. Some of the artisan soaps are harder for beginners but something like B&M (Barrister and Mann) and Sterlings should be easy to use, easy to find and aren't too expensive.

Wow, time flies. Wish it was 2005 again. Sincerely.

As for recommendations, the usual, Tabac, MWF, Haslinger, Proraso, Saponificio Varesino.

There are also plenty of artisanal soaps you could look into. B&M, Wholly Kaw, Sterling, A&E etc.

Top Bottom