What's new

You might not believe this, but Old Spice...

Not that Im quite the younger generation at age 37 but I wear it all the time and my wife loves it. Every now and then, some random woman will comment to me that I smell good and theyre always surprised when I tell them its Old Spice (I use their aftershave, deodorant, body wash, etc).

Ok. Thanks to all you enablers. Here's a question. Is the scent or formula different between these two bottles or versions?

proxy.php

proxy.php
Really?.... The debate continues?

I have been using the deodorant for like the past 20 years or so (pure sport). My son started out using Axe, then he switched over to Old Spice Swagger. When I asked him why the switch, he said 'to carry on the tradition'. He tried the Pure Sport once, but it made his skin irritated/red.

And the reason I started using Old Spice... yup, because that's what my pops would use.

Really?.... The debate continues?

I didn't know there was an ongoing debate. If I did I wouldn't have asked the question. It sounds as though you know the answer but aren't telling. I'd like to buy one of them and if there is a difference between the two that will weigh in my decision. Anyone else?

We all go through the phase at some point. College age guys would naturally get whatever is available at the local drugstore. I used their aftershave, deodorant, and body wash for a bit in school until I dated a girl who hated it.

I didn't know there was an ongoing debate. If I did I wouldn't have asked the question. It sounds as though you know the answer but aren't telling. I'd like to buy one of them and if there is a difference between the two that will weigh in my decision. Anyone else?

Well from the good work of the members here this is the thread with all the information you need to make a decision. It has come down to science to determine the answer.

Will the real "Old Spice" please stand up

.....is (according to my eldest) very popular with the younger generation.

"Loads of lads wear it at uni"

Apparently.

Lol, I'm a millenial, and I have a stick of Old Spice classic deodorant. Proctor and Gamble have great marketing. Their tagine is: "If your grandfather didn't wear it, you wouldn't exist!" Lol. I think that's how they erased the stigma and got people to give it a chance again. I think I prefer some of the newer Old Spice scents like After Hours, but the classic isn't too bad.

And yes, I never think of the classic bottle when I think of Old Spice. I think of the Isaiah Mustafa commercials thanks to the marketing, particularly that horse commercial.

Lol, I'm a millenial, and I have a stick of Old Spice classic deodorant. Proctor and Gamble have great marketing. Their tagine is: "If your grandfather didn't wear it, you wouldn't exist!" Lol. I think that's how they erased the stigma and got people to give it a chance again. I think I prefer some of the newer Old Spice scents like After Hours, but the classic isn't too bad.

And yes, I never think of the classic bottle when I think of Old Spice. I think of the Isaiah Mustafa commercials thanks to the marketing, particularly that horse commercial.

In my case the "if your grandfather didn't wear it, You wouldn't exist" is quite true for me :). He wore it daily one of my fond memories of childhood circa 1997. I like most of the new Old Spice scents, Fiji is my favourite out of the bunch.

.....is (according to my eldest) very popular with the younger generation.

"Loads of lads wear it at uni"
If only this had been true where I was an undergraduate in the 80s. Instead we had roving bands of frat boys ready for a night on the town, trailing a thick cloud of Polo. :07:

Simple answer is the original ( Vintage ) and the Shulton Old Spice made in India are more like each other and the new version ( what you buy in the drug store ) are not one. I personally have two Vintage bottles of the original and I'm very familiar with the scent as my Dad wore it for as long as he was alive. The new version is a lot more synthetic and the old version was using more natural ingredients. It makes sense cost wise. If you go to your local Macy's and go to the cologne counter 98% of those colognes are all synthetic and most sell for under $100 and many for a lot less than that. Try to buy a cologne that uses real ingredients and prices start at about $150 and go up rapidly to over $400 + per bottle. What's cool about a lot of vintage colognes is a lot of them back then used real ingredients and of course sold for a lot less than current niche brands. So finding a vintage bottle of a cologne like YSL M7 for example is a real find. Sorry for the long response. I'm a little bit of a fragrance nut and I'm also in the industry as a product developer and work with many fragrance and raw material company's so it's an everyday part of my life.

My wife (she's 37, by the way) actually prefers P&G Old Spice to the real thing. I have plenty of both, of course.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Simple answer is the original ( Vintage ) and the Shulton Old Spice made in India are more like each other and the new version ( what you buy in the drug store ) are not one. I personally have two Vintage bottles of the original and I'm very familiar with the scent as my Dad wore it for as long as he was alive. The new version is a lot more synthetic and the old version was using more natural ingredients. It makes sense cost wise. If you go to your local Macy's and go to the cologne counter 98% of those colognes are all synthetic and most sell for under $100 and many for a lot less than that. Try to buy a cologne that uses real ingredients and prices start at about $150 and go up rapidly to over $400 + per bottle. What's cool about a lot of vintage colognes is a lot of them back then used real ingredients and of course sold for a lot less than current niche brands. So finding a vintage bottle of a cologne like YSL M7 for example is a real find. Sorry for the long response. I'm a little bit of a fragrance nut and I'm also in the industry as a product developer and work with many fragrance and raw material company's so it's an everyday part of my life.

Thanks for the response. What is your opinion of "Vintage" Edc's or AS going bad? I've been curious about the older Old Spice after shave found on eBay but I am cautious about getting a bad batch. Another concern I have is, what's to stop someone from putting new stuff in an old bottle?

Last edited:

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
what's to stop someone from putting new stuff in an old bottle?

Other than the honor code, nothing. But I would question an open used vintage bottle on ebay first, before one that I found at say, an antique shop? I have several lifetimes of vintage OS in supply, that I have acquired thru B&M and ebay. I try to go NOS on ebay, and trust my nose from the sample I place on my wrist at B&M's.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Other than the honor code, nothing. But I would question an open used vintage bottle on ebay first, before one that I found at say, an antique shop? I have several lifetimes of vintage OS in supply, that I have acquired thru B&M and ebay. I try to go NOS on ebay, and trust my nose from the sample I place on my wrist at B&M's.

Yeah, I always try to give the benefit of the doubt but....

Any way one can determine if an NOS OS bottle has been opened? AFAIK, there's no seal of any sort

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Yeah, I always try to give the benefit of the doubt but....

Any way one can determine if an NOS OS bottle has been opened? AFAIK, there's no seal of any sort

If they advertise NOS and you find it isn't, then you have a grievance you can look into with ebay and PayPal.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
If they advertise NOS and you find it isn't, then you have a grievance you can look into with ebay and PayPal.

How would one know if it is or isn't? Not sure how you can tell if a bottle has been opened if there's no seal to break giving a telltale sign...

Top Bottom