What's new

You had a bad shave. What soap do you use on your next shave?

It's funny, Tabac is a quick make right for many here. Tabac was often the shave I flayed my skin with as it was too... too good!
So, for me, it often meant I'd pick up whatever was my next Barrister & Mann, even way back when it was the white label. (no, not any of that Reserve stuff - took me until this year to break down and learn to stuff a brush for face lathering & go back for more as needed!) If it was B&M, had tallow, it worked extremely well and was an easy easily reproducible shave.

Depends on how bad, but one if it's really bad, skip a day. Not quite that bad? Pacific Shaving's Natural. The first ingredient is aloe. Only mildly irritating? WMS, MWF, B&M, Stirling.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
That doesn't happen often, but if I was ready to shave again the next morning, I would consider Barrister and Mann Terror. Good slickness and clings well and it has a cooling effect.

If I have a bad shave, I don’t necessarily change up the soap so much as paying attention to the post shave products I will use after the shave or for the next shave or two.

In general I may look to use my soaps that have better slickness and post shave feel (CBL, SV, Zingari, etc). More so I’ll reach for an extra helping of my witch hazel/aloe blend and either Lucky Tiger, Speick, or SV aftershaves...those have really good skin soothing/helping properties I feel.

I'll have to go with using the same soap I did when I got the bad shave since only use the soap that I make for myself.

By now I usually know which soaps or creams work best for me, but whenever I try a new one and my skin disagrees after a few shaves I most likely won't use it again, you only got one skin and it deserves the best possible right

I'd get back on the horse. No change.

This is how I respond. If I have a bad shave, I do it again with all the same components to get it right. I have bought soaps that needed more water than I'm used to and got a rough shave. The next day I do it all over again until I get it dialed in. My effort is always rewarded with a great shave once I learn my lesson.

PAA ck6 soap, doesn't matter the scent. Id use one of their star jelly aftershaves instead of a splash, that would get me fixed up in no time.

I'd get back on the horse. No change.

This is how I respond. If I have a bad shave, I do it again with all the same components to get it right. I have bought soaps that needed more water than I'm used to and got a rough shave. The next day I do it all over again until I get it dialed in. My effort is always rewarded with a great shave once I learn my lesson. I never assume that the gear (hardware or software) is the problem.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
If the soap was at fault, I'd switch back to my primary, which is Mitchell's. That's not the same as saying "if the lather was at fault", as that might be my error. If the soap wasn't at fault, I'd most likely stick with whatever I was using before.

My go-to "fix all wrongs" soap is Proraso Green.

PS I salute all you hardy souls who repeat the shave in order to chase down the problem. I'm too much of a whimp 🙂

Top Bottom