What's new

You had a bad shave. What soap do you use on your next shave?

Wickham Soap Co 1912 soaps. I find it difficult to use other soaps and creams since I started using it. First of all I find that I get much less irritation when using this soap. Secondly this soap has excellent ingredients that makes my skin feel like I used lotion on it. After the shave feel of my skin is the best, my skin feels soft and moisturized. Here is the ingredient list:

Aloe Vera Extract – Aloe Barbadensis
A skin-soothing wonder product, Aloe Vera flourishes in warm and dry climates, closing its pores to stay moist and maintain its healing properties. Traditionally, Aloe Vera has been used to treat all manner of skin conditions including cuts, burns and eczema. A staple of natural skin care, the plant can help relieve irritated or inflamed skin as well as demonstrating toning and healing properties. In particular, Aloe Vera is beneficial to dry skin, especially around the eyes and on sensitive facial skin.

Allantoin
Derived naturally from Comfrey root, Allantoin is a non-irritating compound used as a skin-conditioning agent. It creates smooth and healthy skin by locking in all-important moisture as well as acting as a natural protectant. Allantoin contains healing properties that promote cell regeneration to reduce acne scars and nurture a more balanced skin tone.

Argan Oil – Argania Spinosa
Produced in Morocco, Argan oil is known in the celebrity world as the liquid gold youth serum. Pure Argan oil is easily absorbed and regulates the pH balance of the skin, which protects against sun exposure and other damage. It reduces skin inflammation and scarring and helps to control and combat skin conditions such as eczema and psoriasis. Because of its impressive, naturally occurring ingredients, Argan oil regulates sebum production to maintain the skin’s natural oils at a healthy level making it ideal for all skin types.

Avocado Oil – Persea Gratissima
Avocado oil is a rich and nourishing skin emollient valued in natural skin care for its regenerative and highly moisturising properties. One of the few vegetable oils not derived from seeds, this oil is pressed straight from the dehydrated, sliced fruit surrounding the pit. Avocado oil is vitamin-enriched and easily absorbed into the skin. Its emollient properties lock in essential moisture and deliver softness, making it excellent for mature or problematic skin.

Cocoa Butter – Theobroma Cacao
Cocoa butter is produced from the solid fat found in cocoa beans and contains heaps of natural skin antioxidants. The smooth texture, tempting fragrance and impressive natural moisturising properties of Cocoa butter lend it to healing damaged skin.

Coconut Oil – Cocos Nucifera
Well-recognised for its antioxidant properties, saponified Coconut oil delivers unbeatable cleansing results. Coconut oil remains solid at room temperature but melts into the skin upon use to yield a white, deliciously scented and deeply moisturising oil. Rich in emollient fat, the oil is commonly used to bind and emulsify natural skin care formulations. Coconut oil helps to protect skin from the elements by forming a thin, defensive film which is not absorbed.

Jojoba Oil – Simmondsia Chinensis
Jojoba oil is composed almost entirely (97%) of wax esters that are similar to the oils we produce naturally in our bodies, and is therefore easily absorbed and moisturising. The oil can aid in soothing problematic skin due to its non-greasy, naturally antiseptic and anti-bacterial properties. Jojoba oil has anti-inflammatory qualities that help to reduce the swelling and redness that accompanies skin abrasions and irritations.

Mango Butter – Mangifera Indica
Cold pressed from the seed kernel of the Indian Mango fruit, this highly prized butter creates a rich and creamy feeling soap. It is similar in colour and texture to Cocoa butter and melts on skin contact to moisturise and soften very dry skin. Mango butter contains naturally occurring Vitamin E and can effectively protect against ageing.

Palm Oil* – Elaies Guineensis
Sustainably certified palm oil produces a sumptuous, long-lasting soap with a thick, creamy lather. Gentle on all skin types, palm oil is loaded with Vitamin E and delivers exceptional moisturising and conditioning results.

Palm Kernel Oil* – Elaies Guineensis
Not to be confused with palm oil, Palm kernel oil derives from the same plant but boasts different beneficial properties. Similar to coconut oil, palm kernel oil is a lauric type which means that it aids moisture absorption and produces a hard, easily lathered soap.

Shea Butter – Butyrospermum Parkii
Great as both an emollient and an emulsifier, Shea butter protects against dry skin and accelerates healing of wounds and skin irritation. Its photoprotective qualities defend against sun damage while its abundant unsaturated fatty acids and Vitamins A, E and F provide heaps of moisture. Shea butter is known to improve skin softness and elasticity and act as an anti-irritant.

Stearic Acid
A compound of a variety of natural animal and vegetable oils, my Stearic acid is derived from Palm kernel oil with other fatty acids removed. Stearic acid adds hardness to the soaps and creates an exceptionally creamy, rich lather.

Vegetable Glycerine
A by-product of soap making, Glycerine is an emollient and humectant, meaning that it softens and deeply moisturises skin. It is exceptionally soothing and delicate, so can be used on even the most sensitive of skin.

White Kaolin Clay
The high mineral content of White kaolin clay rejuvenates and replenishes the skin as well as gives great slip and texture to my soaps. The clay I use is produced in the UK and is of a high cosmetic grade.

With a bad or irritated shave, I always try to skip a shave and then follow up with a fatted soap. My go-to default is Murphy and McNeil for my shaves (nice but not over-fatted, and my skin loves it), but I think any nourishing soap would work. If I thought it might be a reaction to fragrance oils, I would trot out my Stirling Sheep.

Wickham Soap Co 1912 soaps. I find it difficult to use other soaps and creams since I started using it. First of all I find that I get much less irritation when using this soap. Secondly this soap has excellent ingredients that makes my skin feel like I used lotion on it. After the shave feel of my skin is the best, my skin feels soft and moisturized. Here is the ingredient list:

Aloe Vera Extract – Aloe Barbadensis
A skin-soothing wonder product, Aloe Vera flourishes in warm and dry climates, closing its pores to stay moist and maintain its healing properties. Traditionally, Aloe Vera has been used to treat all manner of skin conditions including cuts, burns and eczema. A staple of natural skin care, the plant can help relieve irritated or inflamed skin as well as demonstrating toning and healing properties. In particular, Aloe Vera is beneficial to dry skin, especially around the eyes and on sensitive facial skin.

Allantoin
Derived naturally from Comfrey root, Allantoin is a non-irritating compound used as a skin-conditioning agent. It creates smooth and healthy skin by locking in all-important moisture as well as acting as a natural protectant. Allantoin contains healing properties that promote cell regeneration to reduce acne scars and nurture a more balanced skin tone.

Argan Oil – Argania Spinosa
Produced in Morocco, Argan oil is known in the celebrity world as the liquid gold youth serum. Pure Argan oil is easily absorbed and regulates the pH balance of the skin, which protects against sun exposure and other damage. It reduces skin inflammation and scarring and helps to control and combat skin conditions such as eczema and psoriasis. Because of its impressive, naturally occurring ingredients, Argan oil regulates sebum production to maintain the skin’s natural oils at a healthy level making it ideal for all skin types.

Avocado Oil – Persea Gratissima
Avocado oil is a rich and nourishing skin emollient valued in natural skin care for its regenerative and highly moisturising properties. One of the few vegetable oils not derived from seeds, this oil is pressed straight from the dehydrated, sliced fruit surrounding the pit. Avocado oil is vitamin-enriched and easily absorbed into the skin. Its emollient properties lock in essential moisture and deliver softness, making it excellent for mature or problematic skin.

Cocoa Butter – Theobroma Cacao
Cocoa butter is produced from the solid fat found in cocoa beans and contains heaps of natural skin antioxidants. The smooth texture, tempting fragrance and impressive natural moisturising properties of Cocoa butter lend it to healing damaged skin.

Coconut Oil – Cocos Nucifera
Well-recognised for its antioxidant properties, saponified Coconut oil delivers unbeatable cleansing results. Coconut oil remains solid at room temperature but melts into the skin upon use to yield a white, deliciously scented and deeply moisturising oil. Rich in emollient fat, the oil is commonly used to bind and emulsify natural skin care formulations. Coconut oil helps to protect skin from the elements by forming a thin, defensive film which is not absorbed.

Jojoba Oil – Simmondsia Chinensis
Jojoba oil is composed almost entirely (97%) of wax esters that are similar to the oils we produce naturally in our bodies, and is therefore easily absorbed and moisturising. The oil can aid in soothing problematic skin due to its non-greasy, naturally antiseptic and anti-bacterial properties. Jojoba oil has anti-inflammatory qualities that help to reduce the swelling and redness that accompanies skin abrasions and irritations.

Mango Butter – Mangifera Indica
Cold pressed from the seed kernel of the Indian Mango fruit, this highly prized butter creates a rich and creamy feeling soap. It is similar in colour and texture to Cocoa butter and melts on skin contact to moisturise and soften very dry skin. Mango butter contains naturally occurring Vitamin E and can effectively protect against ageing.

Palm Oil* – Elaies Guineensis
Sustainably certified palm oil produces a sumptuous, long-lasting soap with a thick, creamy lather. Gentle on all skin types, palm oil is loaded with Vitamin E and delivers exceptional moisturising and conditioning results.

Palm Kernel Oil* – Elaies Guineensis
Not to be confused with palm oil, Palm kernel oil derives from the same plant but boasts different beneficial properties. Similar to coconut oil, palm kernel oil is a lauric type which means that it aids moisture absorption and produces a hard, easily lathered soap.

Shea Butter – Butyrospermum Parkii
Great as both an emollient and an emulsifier, Shea butter protects against dry skin and accelerates healing of wounds and skin irritation. Its photoprotective qualities defend against sun damage while its abundant unsaturated fatty acids and Vitamins A, E and F provide heaps of moisture. Shea butter is known to improve skin softness and elasticity and act as an anti-irritant.

Stearic Acid
A compound of a variety of natural animal and vegetable oils, my Stearic acid is derived from Palm kernel oil with other fatty acids removed. Stearic acid adds hardness to the soaps and creates an exceptionally creamy, rich lather.

Vegetable Glycerine
A by-product of soap making, Glycerine is an emollient and humectant, meaning that it softens and deeply moisturises skin. It is exceptionally soothing and delicate, so can be used on even the most sensitive of skin.

White Kaolin Clay
The high mineral content of White kaolin clay rejuvenates and replenishes the skin as well as gives great slip and texture to my soaps. The clay I use is produced in the UK and is of a high cosmetic grade.
I love Wickham's scents! Magnum is my favourite scent of any soap, ever. Unfortunately, every one of their soaps {even the unscented one) gives me a tingle/burn. It's never painful but it is uncomfortable.

I suspect my skin doesn't tolerate really "fatty" soaps because I have the same issue with most artisan soaps and lanolin based soaps.

Ironically I never get this problem with Proraso Green or White. Just one of those things I guess :out:

I love Wickham's scents! Magnum is my favourite scent of any soap, ever. Unfortunately, every one of their soaps {even the unscented one) gives me a tingle/burn. It's never painful but it is uncomfortable.

I suspect my skin doesn't tolerate really "fatty" soaps because I have the same issue with most artisan soaps and lanolin based soaps.

Ironically I never get this problem with Proraso Green or White. Just one of those things I guess :out:
That is unfortunate. Have you tried Mike’s Natural Soaps?

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
If I had a bad shave and there was lots of irritation then I would probably use Proraso White soap as it is a great soap for sensitive skin. IMHO.

Top Bottom