What's new

you ever feel guilty with all the gear you have? razors, blades etc etc

Because I want to have that much shaving gear. I paid for all of it myself, and I do not feel the need to justify it to myself at all. :cool:

When I decide I do not want this much shaving gear, I will sell, trade, and/or PIF the stuff I no longer want. :)

Great, Never Stop Learning, you just blew up my big BST sale for the weekend, vintages, modern, & GEMS. Now my sale is down to a few razors and blades that are just duplicates or redundant styles. A large Den has never been a feeling of guilt but maybe just a question of why so many razors. Like you, I have enough razors that I could never justify keeping them based on use or need, (well not exactly like you with over 100 razors), but I get a kick in collecting a nice vintage razor or trying an attractive new modern razor. B&B does not help in that some purchases are driven by the great chat here at B&B.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
To make picking an aftershave a little more interesting you could always get some cork board with a list of them all on it and a dart. As for getting rid of ones you don’t want anymore I can understand because of the hassle especially considering a lot of AS has alcohol in it. Plus could you imagine trying to get rid of a custom blend along the lines of dragons-blood, cool water and Egyptian musk?

The dart board sounds like a good idea.

I am a seasonal kinda guy when it comes to soaps and AS. So it’s basically menthol and citrus in the summers and woody and smoky scents in the winter.

I really like Bay Rum, so it’s Bootlegger’s Original in cold weather and Bootlegger’s Lime and Perfecto’s in warm weather.

Fall and Springs is when I focus on trying to 3017’ing most of my vintage stuff. This year, I just finished off the last of my vintage Pinaud Clubman, vintage Aqua Velva, and have about a half a bottle of vintage Skin Bracer left.

I probably have too much vintage Avon to ever think about 3017’ing most of it and I’m sure I also have a lifetime supply of Shulton Old Spice.

I need to work on using, or figure out what to do with some vintage department store sets of AS and EdT’s I have from the 80’s.

Grey Flannel
Polo Green
Halston Z-14
Obsession
Pierre Cardin
Aramis
Drakkar
Giorgio
Jade East
And a few of the other vintage outliers I have stored away.

Can’t even begin thinking about using up all the modern stuff I have acquired .

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
If only you knew an expert on AS, who (with 200 more bottles) could give incredibly well-informed advice, and maybe even get inspiringly creative with blending. He might even get famous and have his own branding!

You could ship them all to that guy, and you would only have to pack and ship them once.

And we would all be grateful that you enabled such greatness.

Well, I don’t consider myself an expert or famous since it clearly appears that you are referring to me.

But I do and am, preferring my own blends over most of the other AS’s I have and those other AS’s have gotten to hoarder levels.

Hence are discussion here. :)

No, because I buy low, sell high, and keep high value items to pass down to my children. My collection is worth more than I paid for it and will make a terrific heirloom someday, both in monetary and familial value.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Great, Never Stop Learning, you just blew up my big BST sale for the weekend, vintages, modern, & GEMS. Now my sale is down to a few razors and blades that are just duplicates or redundant styles. A large Den has never been a feeling of guilt but maybe just a question of why so many razors. Like you, I have enough razors that I could never justify keeping them based on use or need, (well not exactly like you with over 100 razors), but I get a kick in collecting a nice vintage razor or trying an attractive new modern razor. B&B does not help in that some purchases are driven by the great chat here at B&B.

As with most things, being patient and taking things as they flow will naturally lead you to the razors (and other shaving stuff) you want to keep. ;)

From there, we all have to exercise the required discipline and determination to follow through and prune the Den. :cool:

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Nope, not one bit. I consider my shaving gear tools.

I can't begin to tell you how many sockets I have in my mechanic's toolbox, or how much I have spent on tools to work on my race-car. Then there is my old machinist's toolbox, full of indicators and micrometers that I needed for work, now retired, I still find time to use them.
In fact, I just noticed a new shaving soap I am thinking of getting, as my last order is sitting on the tarmac in Australia for who knows how long.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Nope, not one bit. I consider my shaving gear tools.

I can't begin to tell you how many sockets I have in my mechanic's toolbox, or how much I have spent on tools to work on my race-car. Then there is my old machinist's toolbox, full of indicators and micrometers that I needed for work, now retired, I still find time to use them.
In fact, I just noticed a new shaving soap I am thinking of getting, as my last order is sitting on the tarmac in Australia for who knows how long.

Cars - Another hobby that makes shaving stuff seem downright reasonable. ;) 🤣

Yes, I feel guilty about purchases. I bought everything my heart desired only to realize later that I would be happier with less. Now selling or giving things (at a loss) to bring down the load. I wanted variety but went too far. Too many options on the menu. Can't decide what to eat. On the other hand, the hobby brings a good bit of joy every day.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Yes, I feel guilty about purchases. I bought everything my heart desired only to realize later that I would be happier with less. Now selling or giving things (at a loss) to bring down the load. I wanted variety but went too far. Too many options on the menu. Can't decide what to eat. On the other hand, the hobby brings a good bit of joy every day.

No need to feel guilty. Without having bought them, you may not have realized so quickly that you're happier with less.
You have a good bit of joy every day because of who you are, and you are who you are because of everything that has happened up to this point.

"When I was a child of seven years old, my friends on a holiday, filled my pocket with coppers. I went directly to a shop where they sold toys for children and being charmed with the sound of a whistle that I met by the way in the hands of another boy, I voluntarily offered and gave all my money for one. I then came home and went whistling all over the house, much pleased with my whistle, but disturbing all the family. My brothers, sisters, and cousins, understanding the bargain I had made, told me I had given four times as much for it as it was worth; put me in mind what good things I might have bought with the rest of the money; and laughed at me so much for my folly, that I cried with vexation; and the reflection gave me more chagrin than the whistle gave me pleasure.

This, however, was afterward of use to me, the impression continuing on my mind; so that often, when I was tempted to buy some unnecessary thing, I said to myself,
"Don’t give too much for the whistle;" and I have saved my money.

As I grew up, came into the world, and observe the actions of men, I thought I met with many, very many, who gave too much for the whistle."

B. Franklin

And for your further consideration, a la Rod Serling, money and whistles mean nothing to Ben now. I've often thought, if he could go back, would he rather whistle more, or carry around bits of metal in his pocket more?

And for your further consideration, a la Rod Serling, money and whistles mean nothing to Ben now. I've often thought, if he could go back, would he rather whistle more, or carry around bits of metal in his pocket more?

Those Coppers are probably collectibles, I think he gives the whistle up.

Top Bottom