What's new

You Can't Make This Stuff Up

I rarely pass a HHT, but can routinely pass a forearm treetop test with at least one hair on the blade (when I have forearm hairs remaining, I also test my knife sharpening by shaving arm hair so there often isn't much there). Concur that the shave test is all that really matters. Also concur that if I can't pop at least one arm hair on a treetop test the shave usually isn't as good as I believe it could be.
this has been my experience too.

My less than two cents is sharp enough is sharp enough. The various tests only serve as an indication the edge is properly prepped for a shave. A super sharp edge can shave horribly, whereas sharp enough can deliver buttery smooth Zen shaves. Super sharp can also translate to more nicks, a grabby edge, and an unforgiving shave. In fact, I routinely tune back the grabby sharpness by finishing on ceramic instead of stone before stropping. Who hasn’t accidentally touched an edge unexpectedly against their face…a super sharp edge has a higher chance of nicking. I stopped going for scary sharp edges years ago and my youthful face is much better for the change. 😁

So, @SparkyLB did you manage to remove the jimping or did you just leave it? Would be a unique kind of shaving accident if you had gone so far as to set a bevel where the jimping had been. Almost worth doing it for the story, but only almost.

Top Bottom