What's new

You can use shaving foam as an emergency substitute for shaving soaps.

I ran out of shaving soaps, but shaving soaps were still in transit.
Thus, I went to a nearby convenience store and bought a can of nivea men cool kick shaving foam.
Shaving foam is usually used with cartridge razors.

Although shaving foam doesn't lather nearly as well as shaving soaps, if I use it with a lather bowl and a shaving brush, it works well enough for a fine shave.

Buy a can of shaving foam or shaving gel at a nearby store if you run out of shaving soaps. It'll buy you a few weeks during which your new batch of shaving soaps will arrive.

Next time, I'll order shaving soaps long before I run out of them.

proxy.php

Not only for an emergency.
MILLIONS of men used shaving foam with DE and SE razors in the 50s,60s and 70s .
In fact shaving foam, invented in the late 40s,had 70% of the market by the mid 50s meaning that the VAST majority of men used shaving foam with DE and SE razors with zero problems for decades.

The suggestion that shaving foam can't give you great shaves with a traditional razor is classic internet BS .

I have been shaving with shaving foam and DEs since 1980 and getting daily BBS shaves,I only "discovered" that shaving foam is ...bad when I read it on the internet forums a few years back.:001_302:

So sometime in the mid 2000s I have tried the traditional brush/cream/soap shave....did it give me a better shave? Definitely not.The only thing it did was adding more minutes to my daily shaving ritual.So I decided "no thanks I will pass" (no shaving is not a hobby for me).:001_cool:

I used Edge Gel for decades until a couple years ago when I found double edge shaving and brushes and soaps and creams. Of course you can shave with canned foamin' goo. As Razorcan said, millions do.

In my experience, shaving factory shaving soap protects my skin better than nivea men cool kick shaving foam. But, the shaving foam still provides a good shaving experience.
I discovered that shaving foam is already lathered and doesn't lather any further.
However, I still use shaving brush and lather bowl with shaving foam because I have nowhere else to keep shaving foam other than my hands. If I retain shaving foam in my hand, my double edged safety razor slips in my hand, so I don't retain it in my hand.

Perhaps, better shaving foam will do a better job of protecting my skin.

I suspect shaving soap is cheaper in the long run.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
When using canned goo in the past and even if I use it in the future, I always applied and will apply the canned substance with a shaving brush. I did try to apply with my fingers but wasn't impressed with the application method. Then sometimes found the razor slippery.

I had to use airline-supplied shaving foam and a cartridge razor on some stop-overs on a recent long flight. It was bad. Not “Having-Root-Canal-Surgery-Without-Anaesthetic” bad, but still bad.

I have 2 shaving creams and a shaving foam which gets used sometimes. The shaving foam is nice to save time.

Actually, a good can of goop like Nivea is worthy to stand on its own merits,
not just as an emergency, ain't-got-no-other-choice substitution.

I went out and bought some Nivea Moisturizing Gel the other day,
just to keep some on hand.
For Quickie shaves and when I want to go unscented.
And its good for travel, too ... 90% of My Dopp Kit is Nivea brand.

This was in addition to the dozens of soaps and creams I already have to choose from.

I went out and bought some Nivea Moisturizing Gel the other day,
just to keep some on hand.
And darn it, I just discovered I already had some Original Barbasol in the drawer.

This was in addition to the dozens of soaps and creams I already have to choose from.
Oh, well ... I can always make room for more Quality kit.

In fairness, those cans were competing with Williams and Colgate.

Maybe in the USA,definitely not in Europe (although I am sure that many other brands of shaving cream or soaps existed in the US back than).

Of course I don't even know what was so bad with Williams and Colgate in the 50s :001_302:

Sure, you CAN use it but theres lots of things you technically could shave with. A coworker of mine shaves her legs with body wash. Does it work? I guess. Is it the best idea? Judging by the cuts on her legs, probably not.

Top Bottom