What's new

YMMV Surprise: I prefer Shark Super Stainless over Astra Superior Platinum

I just finished my 15th shave ever with a DE blade. I use the Muhle R89, and I am currently using my sampler pack blades. I have had 5 shaves with the blade the Muhle razor came with, 5 with the Astra SP, and 5 with the Shark SS, in that order.

With all 5 of my shaves with the Astra SP I either cut, nicked, had razor bumps, had irritation, or a combination of all of these with every single shave I had. It gave me a very nice BSS with the blade, but with it came some warrior wounds with a good amount of nicks and cuts. My skin did not react well to the shaves either as I was also starting to break out a few days after the shaves.

With the Shark SS blades, I had 3 shaves with absolutely no nicks, cuts, or irritation at all, and only 2 with very minor nicks. Although I may not have gotten the closest BSS shave with these blades, these gave me a very nice shave during all 5 shaves, and these blades were very friendly to my skin as these blades were smooth and fairly gentle with my skin.

Given that I prefer a shave that gives you the least amount of irritation and cuts over having a BSS at all costs, I definitiely would say that the Shark Blades have been my favorite of the two from the sampler pack. Granted, I have only had 15 shaves so far with a DE safety razor and I am still a beginner and working on my technique, and I of course will not make a final decision over my favorite blade until I try each blade brand twice for 10 total shaves with each blade before I start to make a decision as to which is my favorite blade. But so far as a beginner, the Shark Super Stainless Blades have been better blades to me than the Astra Superior Platinum blades.

This may come as a surprise given that Astra SP generally gets high remarks on here, while the Shark blades typically get mostly average or even below average reviews mostly on this forum.

Does anybody else have a similar experience with a blade that may not have had the best reviews online but ended up being the best blades for you?

I just finished my 15th shave ever with a DE blade. I use the Muhle R89, and I am currently using my sampler pack blades. I have had 5 shaves with the blade the Muhle razor came with, 5 with the Astra SP, and 5 with the Shark SS, in that order.

With all 5 of my shaves with the Astra SP I either cut, nicked, had razor bumps, had irritation, or a combination of all of these with every single shave I had. It gave me a very nice BSS with the blade, but with it came some warrior wounds with a good amount of nicks and cuts. My skin did not react well to the shaves either as I was also starting to break out a few days after the shaves.

With the Shark SS blades, I had 3 shaves with absolutely no nicks, cuts, or irritation at all, and only 2 with very minor nicks. Although I may not have gotten the closest BSS shave with these blades, these gave me a very nice shave during all 5 shaves, and these blades were very friendly to my skin as these blades were smooth and fairly gentle with my skin.

Given that I prefer a shave that gives you the least amount of irritation and cuts over having a BSS at all costs, I definitiely would say that the Shark Blades have been my favorite of the two from the sampler pack. Granted, I have only had 15 shaves so far with a DE safety razor and I am still a beginner and working on my technique, and I of course will not make a final decision over my favorite blade until I try each blade brand twice for 10 total shaves with each blade before I start to make a decision as to which is my favorite blade. But so far as a beginner, the Shark Super Stainless Blades have been better blades to me than the Astra Superior Platinum blades.

This may come as a surprise given that Astra SP generally gets high remarks on here, while the Shark blades typically get mostly average or even below average reviews mostly on this forum.

Does anybody else have a similar experience with a blade that may not have had the best reviews online but ended up being the best blades for you?
I like the Shark SS blade. I've paired ur with my Edwin Jagger a number of times. To me, they are not as sharp as I'd like them to be, but makes up for it by being really smooth. I am able to get really nice close shaves with this blade, but I need to go over certain areas multiple times. But like you mentioned, no razor burns, irritation etc. I get only 3 shaves from one blade. My beard is very course.
My favourite blades are Astra SP and Personna Lab Blue. These are sharp and smooth and works best for me.

Sent from my CPH1969 using Tapatalk

Hello. Good luck on your shaving journey. I have been wet shaving for about a year and a half maybe almost 2 years now. I don’t quite remember. However, I have used a combination of DE blades and different razors. As you said, your mileage will vary. The blades I currently enjoy using include Gillette Wilkinson Sword from India, Vikings Blade mild razors, Personna Red, Crystal, Parker blades, and Bic Chrome. Different razors will work better with different blades. I’m currently trying these platinum blades from China. The blades are Gemene Platinum blades.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Good lesson!! Blades may be the most YMMV aspect of traditional wet shaving!

Your experience is what matters, not mine or anyone else’s. Some blades may work well in certain razors and not in others. Plus, your opinion may change with time and as your technique improves.

You should keep on sampling blades. If you like Shark, you would probably like Silver Star blades made by the same company. Try some of the better Russian blades, such as Perma-Sharp Super or Gillette Silver Blue. Also try several of the Personna blades.

Stick with the blades you now have, and try a slicker soap. I'd given poor ratings to a blade, only to revisit it later using a better soap & found entirely better results.
Shannon's, Stirling, ToBS and my Cremogena Blend turned a couple of losers into my favorite blades.

Practiced and perfected shaving technique and a good soap can lead you to discovering why Astra SP's are regarded as solid performers, loved by nearly everyone.

I suspect you did better because it was shave 11 to 15 so you had more experience. If its not the case, it's very nice that you found the blade that suits you and youre skin. Also remember that depending of which razor you choose, the best blade for you might vary. So try to keep that in mind if you try another razor before tossing it. Happy shaving!

I haven’t had a enough shaves with sharks to say they’re smoother than the Astra SP’s, but I will say for my ugly mug, the SP’s thus far are much smoother. Sharpness is about the same.

Reactions: NPK
I also preferred the Shark SS to any of the Astras, Gillette's and many other 'popular' blades.

I have used the Shark SS a few times. No doubt, these are very smooth blades. Not the sharpest out there. But definitely smooth. I've used the with my Edwin Jagger DE89 which is a rather mild razor. I'll pop a Shark in my Parker Variant and see how it goes.

The first shave I had with a de was using a Shark. I still have a few tucks in my den. Congratulations on being able to identify what you like, or don't like about blades. Enjoy your journey!

Shark SS are one of the first blades I tried, and I still like them. Shark Platinum are also good for me, but I don't like Shark Chrome. I have quite a few brands I like now, but I still use the Shark SS and Shark Platinum regularly.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk

I bought 2 different blades when I started my DE journey back in 2016, Astra SP and Shark SS... The Sharks won out and was all I used regularly for over a year until I tried a Shark SC and that has been my go to since!! I have tried several other's and some have lived up to the hype while others haven't!! I am also fond of Silver Star's and Nacet's to name a couple. On the other side of they fence, I've had my worst shaves with the like's of Feather, Kai, and GSB's which most seem to love. It's truly a YMMV part of shaving to say the least!!

As long as you like the blade, then who cares what I or anyone else thinks :)
I will say this though, from my 5-6 years od experience (which is not something to brag about lol) I find that irritation nicks etc. comes down to skill.
I can shave blindfolded and get a BBS wit pretty much any DE blade now, could I have done that when I started? Hell no.
DE shaving has gotten too easy and boring for me, which is why I jumped to SR shaving, which I do 90% of the time now.

Funny enough, the "budget" starter kit I got from Maggard back in 2014 included tucks of SPs and Sharks. I ended up getting 100 pack of SPs and haven't revisited Sharks since then. Might have to try one again.

I enjoy Astra SP Better than Shark SS but I like them both. Shark SS is an interesting blade; for me, they have a bit more roughness to them and it pairs well with mild razors. For example, my Tech with Shark SS is a great combination that I enjoy. Tech doesn't have much feel but the Shark SS puts a bit more blade feel which makes for a nice balance.

Astra SP is my go to blade along with the Personna Lab Blue.
The Shark doesn't work for me when paired with my Edwin Jagger DE89. But works really well when paired with my Parker Variant Adjustable especially on the more aggressive settings.
Sharks are not the sharpest, but very smooth. I'll continue to use them with my Variant. Great results.
proxy.php
proxy.php

Top Bottom