What's new

Yew beauty

As I mentioned in a previous post, I have a 24mm Manchurian knot from Elite Razors and I'm having a handle made for it in yew wood by a local craftsman. He is yet to treat it with CA glue, but here it is so far.

20170925_154539_resized.jpg

That is a very nice shape. And with that grain, i cannot wait to see it finished. Are you having it stained, or just clear finish?

I've got a feeling that is going to really be gorgeous with just a plain clear finish. (it already is, even without the finish!)
I can't wait to see how it ends up.

Yew is such a beautiful wood when turned, and that piece is no exception. Your brush will look fantastic after it's finished (it already does), be sure to post pics.

Whenever I see yew wood mentioned, I can't help but think about the tales of Robin Hood and longbows made from yew. That gets a mention in "Tom Sawyer" too -- the boys don't know what it is, except that bows have to be made from it!

Here is the finished brush, which I think has come out pretty well. The Elite Razor Manchurian knot seems very nice indeed, with lots of backbone and very soft tips, but I haven't got the full measure of it yet.

DSC_0260.JPG

Top Bottom