What's new

Yet Another Wholly Kaw Review

I started traditional wet shaving in 2008. I went completely crazy with SAD, and bought up pretty much every soap and cream that was available back then. Then the voice of reason (also known as "my wife") spoke up. I settled on one product: Tabac shave stick, and I used it exclusively for just over ten years.

I figure ten years was enough, so I'm back to buying soaps like crazy again. It's been great to see how the wet shaving market has grown, especially when it comes to soap making artisans. But of the few brands that I've tried, I've only felt that one was truly something special.

And that brand is Wholly Kaw.

It started with samples of "Jamestown Gentleman" and "King of Oud". Then I ended up purchasing a full tub of "Pasha's Pride".

Let's start with the scents. I had the exact same reaction the first time I sniffed each one of them. That being, "wow, I *really* don't like that at all!" Yet over time, I've gotten to the point that I simply love every one of them. I've never had scents grow on me like that; even after ten years, I can just barely stand the smell of Tabac. Yet there is just something about WK's scents that become more and more enticing every time you give one a whiff. The initial nasal drama of King of Oud almost kept me from trying it entirely.

If you should happen to pick up a sample of WK, don't let the first sniff be your determining factor. Give it time. Let it grow on you. Use it for a few shaves. Then make your decision. You might very well find that something you initially hated rapidly becomes one of your favorite scents. Keep in mind that WK soaps are very highly scented. They do also offer one unscented soap if you just can't seem to find a scent that you like.

Let's move on to performance. I break down performance into two categories: 1. Lather experience 2. Lubrication

One of the most relaxing parts of wet shaving for me is the lather. The feel of the brush and that luxuriously thick lather is just... wonderful. Yet the whole lather experience can be completely ruined if that lather doesn't give you the lubrication needed to give you a great shaving experience. And unfortunately, just because a soap produces wonderfully feeling lather doesn't necessarily mean it's going to be particularly good at lubricating.

WK's lather (in both of the bases I've tried) is nothing short of spectacular. It has this unique feel to it that I've never felt in a cream or a soap before. It's *thick* and it's soft, and it's just a-mazing.

I shave with straight razors more often than I *don't* shave with straight razors. Most straight razor shavers will agree that most soaps need to be hydrated well beyond the point of being photographic in order to produce the best lubrication. Well beyond.

This is where WK's lather really, really shines. If you're shaving with a straight, you don't have to deprive yourself of that thick, luxurious lather as you would normally have to do in order to get max lubrication.

Yes, WK's lather does get more slippery the more you hydrate it, but it hits max lubrication before the lather starts to break down.

Work yourself up a nice glossy yogurt, pull out the straight, and get to work. No need to over-wet this stuff; you'll get all the lubrication you need for one of the best straight shaves you've ever had.

Lubrication was the one reason I stuck to Tabac for so long. If you over hydrate it to the point that the lather starts to break down, it becomes one of (if not *the*) most slippery soaps out there. Until now, that is. There's a new King in slippery, and it's Wholly Kaw.

Even drier WK lathers will give you more lubrication than you need, at least for DE shaving.

Prior to using WK, I just couldn't imagine that you could really get a product that would be far, far superior than the majority of the good soaps out there. But WK is one of those products that resulted in an epiphany moment of, "Wow... this is the best soap I have ever used." At least it did for me, but then again, I haven't tried many of the truly high end artisan soaps out there... yet. This was my first toe-dip in these waters.

I became accustomed to the rather dry post shave feel of Tabac over ten years. I don't use any post shave products, so I just accepted the dry face. The post shave face feel of WK was another one of those "wow" moments for me. No dryness, no irritation. Wonderful.

For those guys that are out there wondering what high-end artisan soap they should try, pick yourself up a few WK samples. The chances are very good that you won't be disappointed.

I have three samples I traded into and had used en entire sample previously. I agree that it is an extremely great soap, but I think A&E is just every bit as good and they have a far better scent selection (if that is important to you the buyer). I rank DG Icarus base the same as A&E. I will again state my subjective opinion that there is very little difference in how all these top tier soaps actually shave. I think the road "forks" at scent choice and to a lesser degree skin conditioning effect.

I will again state my subjective opinion that there is very little difference in how all these top tier soaps actually shave
I can't wait to find out! I'm going to order my first Grooming Department soap at 11:00 PDT tomorrow morning when Mo releases his newest soap.

The plan is to gradually acquire all of these wonderful, top tier artisan soaps. I really couldn't understand all the hubbub until I actually tried WK.

I started traditional wet shaving in 2008. I went completely crazy with SAD, and bought up pretty much every soap and cream that was available back then. Then the voice of reason (also known as "my wife") spoke up. I settled on one product: Tabac shave stick, and I used it exclusively for just over ten years.

I figure ten years was enough, so I'm back to buying soaps like crazy again. It's been great to see how the wet shaving market has grown, especially when it comes to soap making artisans. But of the few brands that I've tried, I've only felt that one was truly something special.

And that brand is Wholly Kaw.

It started with samples of "Jamestown Gentleman" and "King of Oud". Then I ended up purchasing a full tub of "Pasha's Pride".

Let's start with the scents. I had the exact same reaction the first time I sniffed each one of them. That being, "wow, I *really* don't like that at all!" Yet over time, I've gotten to the point that I simply love every one of them. I've never had scents grow on me like that; even after ten years, I can just barely stand the smell of Tabac. Yet there is just something about WK's scents that become more and more enticing every time you give one a whiff. The initial nasal drama of King of Oud almost kept me from trying it entirely.

If you should happen to pick up a sample of WK, don't let the first sniff be your determining factor. Give it time. Let it grow on you. Use it for a few shaves. Then make your decision. You might very well find that something you initially hated rapidly becomes one of your favorite scents. Keep in mind that WK soaps are very highly scented. They do also offer one unscented soap if you just can't seem to find a scent that you like.

Let's move on to performance. I break down performance into two categories: 1. Lather experience 2. Lubrication

One of the most relaxing parts of wet shaving for me is the lather. The feel of the brush and that luxuriously thick lather is just... wonderful. Yet the whole lather experience can be completely ruined if that lather doesn't give you the lubrication needed to give you a great shaving experience. And unfortunately, just because a soap produces wonderfully feeling lather doesn't necessarily mean it's going to be particularly good at lubricating.

WK's lather (in both of the bases I've tried) is nothing short of spectacular. It has this unique feel to it that I've never felt in a cream or a soap before. It's *thick* and it's soft, and it's just a-mazing.

I shave with straight razors more often than I *don't* shave with straight razors. Most straight razor shavers will agree that most soaps need to be hydrated well beyond the point of being photographic in order to produce the best lubrication. Well beyond.

This is where WK's lather really, really shines. If you're shaving with a straight, you don't have to deprive yourself of that thick, luxurious lather as you would normally have to do in order to get max lubrication.

Yes, WK's lather does get more slippery the more you hydrate it, but it hits max lubrication before the lather starts to break down.

Work yourself up a nice glossy yogurt, pull out the straight, and get to work. No need to over-wet this stuff; you'll get all the lubrication you need for one of the best straight shaves you've ever had.

Lubrication was the one reason I stuck to Tabac for so long. If you over hydrate it to the point that the lather starts to break down, it becomes one of (if not *the*) most slippery soaps out there. Until now, that is. There's a new King in slippery, and it's Wholly Kaw.

Even drier WK lathers will give you more lubrication than you need, at least for DE shaving.

Prior to using WK, I just couldn't imagine that you could really get a product that would be far, far superior than the majority of the good soaps out there. But WK is one of those products that resulted in an epiphany moment of, "Wow... this is the best soap I have ever used." At least it did for me, but then again, I haven't tried many of the truly high end artisan soaps out there... yet. This was my first toe-dip in these waters.

I became accustomed to the rather dry post shave feel of Tabac over ten years. I don't use any post shave products, so I just accepted the dry face. The post shave face feel of WK was another one of those "wow" moments for me. No dryness, no irritation. Wonderful.

For those guys that are out there wondering what high-end artisan soap they should try, pick yourself up a few WK samples. The chances are very good that you won't be disappointed.

Ah ‘the voice of reason’ (I have one also)!!

Nice to have you back in the hunt!! Looks like an excellent product!! Thanks for the review.

FP...I'm not comfortable with the acquisitional precedent you're setting ;)

Side note, reading this has me rethinking a bit how I create lather, thanks for that.

Ah ‘the voice of reason’ (I have one also)!!
And it's surprising how much volume can come from such a tiny little thing when she's being exceptionally "reasonable". ;)

FP...I'm not comfortable with the acquisitional precedent you're setting ;)
Neither is my wife! I have to buy her a pair of shoes for every soap I buy :(
Side note, reading this has me rethinking a bit how I create lather, thanks for that.
You're welcome. :) I've gotten into the habit of testing the slickness of lathers starting from when they just barely have enough water in them to create lather, then adding very small amounts of water, testing again, and repeating all the way up til when the lather starts to break down. It's surprising how much more slick a well hydrated lather is vs drier, thicker lathers. With some soaps it's a very dramatic difference. Others, not so much.

Last edited:
I’ve been using Wholly Kaw the entire month of March for the fixed four. I thought it would be hard but it’s been absolutely wonderful using this Fougère Bouquet every day!

using this Fougère Bouquet every day
That's one of the scents that's in the running for my next WK purchase. I initially didn't like Jamestown Gentleman, but again, it's one of those scents that really grows on you.

But Fougere Bouqet sure gets a lot of praise for the scent. You're not growing tired of the fragrance?

I keep going back and forth between those two...

That's one of the scents that's in the running for my next WK purchase. I initially didn't like Jamestown Gentleman, but again, it's one of those scents that really grows on you.

But Fougere Bouqet sure gets a lot of praise for the scent. You're not growing tired of the fragrance?

I keep going back and forth between those two...

These WK scents really grow on me as well. So far hasn’t been one to tire on me.

I am horrible with scent descriptions but would describe this as an earthy, manly, non-floral Fougere. The scent is on the mild side in juxtaposition to the other scents from WK that I find stronger. I have smelled quite a few of them. The Fougere seems to be a “safe” scent. Enjoy and let us know what you think of it!

I have a sample of Cuero Oscuro, I know its polarizing, and a very 'different' scent, but its seriously growing on me.

I have samples of Italian Holiday and Spice Vitae on the way. I don't really care for Pasha's Pride or King of Bourbon.

I'm convinced... Fougere Bouqet will be the next one. After all, I've tried Jamestown Gentleman now, so might as well try a different one of their scents.

Thanks for the suggestions, gents.

i just used some of this soap, and maybe i did it wrong ( bowl lather) but it seemed weak. i got very little lather compared to the AMC cream i used previously, with roughly the same amount. had to wipe it off and finish off with ADP barbersol type cream. i will experiment with the wholly kaw more and compare it to martin de candre that i have on the way.

Love Holy Kaw soaps and after shaves but ran into the first that I just can't like... the Merchant of Tobacco has such a strong chocolate scent that it over powers any tobacco. The descriptions sounded so appealing (tobacco, bourbon, oud) but all you smell is chocolate. At the same time I also Tempest... a very different soap and AS, this one best described as "fresh cut grass and the sea". I like the menthol in the AS so much I put up with the scent but SWMBO doesn't so I only use it during the work week.

Yeahp...I have enjoyed every Wholly Kaw soap I have used...went with Merchant of Tobacco shave soap today. Plain Jane base from a few years ago...spectacular performance!

Vr

Matt

17477A97-0907-4F6B-831E-E27E14114CBC.jpeg
C18DA2A6-B000-48C0-94EE-B947E7CD6A27.jpeg
BF250D01-A5A5-4E43-A8DE-7DC05487378D.jpeg
3D105C57-FF94-4527-AF8E-74460A9089A5.jpeg

Top Bottom