What's new

Yet another what grinder question.

I would advise him to try to make quality brewed coffee. Good espresso can not be done on that budget and without an equally good espresso machine. The Crossland is at the lower end of reproducible straight espresso production. Drown it with milk and its another story but the Crossland isn't a good steamer. NONE of the Baratza grinders I have seen are acceptable for consistent espresso. They are uniformly great for brewed coffee. The best suggestion I have seen above is the Lido but I am going from reading and not experience.

I think the Baratza Vario is excellent at espresso. A consistent fine grind that makes excellent espresso. I don't have it but my neighbor across the street does and I am at his house 3 to 4 times a week drinking his espresso from his Nuova Simonelli Musica. Some of the best espresso I have had anywhere.

I've had good luck with a Vario-W with ceramic burrs for espresso. Would not be my first choice but it was acceptable at the time

I've found that Baratza for espresso is a hit or miss thing. Their construction with plastic parts is unlike the tank-like builds from Compak, Mazer and the like. The ones I've played with do not hold their settings very well either. Great for brewed but not espresso. My Virtuoso went for 10 years and it was refurbished at a great price with new burrs. Great company but IMHO not for espresso. That drink is too finicky. Again, just an opinion. My Compak K10 (after a K3 starter) will last my lifetime.

I retired the W for two Forte-BG (Ditting burrs) and a super jolly that I heavily customized (titanium burrs, time dose, way too much to explain, there is a full thread on all the customizations on B&B from a number of years ago).

proxy.php

Had the inexpensive Caresso burr grinder (#559) and had constant problems with it. Replaced it with a lower priced Krups burr grinder. Haven't had any problems in six months.

Top Bottom