What's new

Yet another straight-curious post

Wait - that didn't sound right....

But you get the point (hah!). I've been wet having with a DE safety razor for about three years now and love it. Thinking about the next logical step, but I wonder about some issues with my hands. Uncle Sam gifted me with some nerve damage in my hands that messes with my sense of feel, although mostly related to sensing temperature and touch. I also have a pretty gnarly case of trigger finger syndrome in my dominant hand's pinky.

Insurmountable, or just more of a learning curve? My fine motor control is fine - I play guitar fine except for the pinky getting in the way sometimes.

I'd say more learning curve. I have arthritis, plus I get bad cramps in my hands and don't have many problems. If you're playing a musical instrument you shouldn't have many problems either. =)

Agreed. Just give it a try. No pressure is the secret of a perfect shave once you have in hands a perfectly honed razor.
We want you here ...!

I have some issues with my hands due to Multiple Sclerosis. I use a DE only a couple times a year. Normally I shave with a shavette or a straight without issue. The most helpful suggestion I got when I wanted to use a straight was to use a butter knife to practice. Use a butter knife, or shavette without a blade, to practice shaving. I started slow and was shaving exclusively with a straight in no time.

I lathered up after a DE shave and practiced with the back of a butter knife a couple of times. Then I moved on to doing the first pass with a straight and cleaning up with a DE. After about a half dozen shaves I was using a straight once a week.

Thank you for your service.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
You can try lathering up and taking a butter knife to your face. Try to just skim the lather off your face with a low angle vs scraping it off your face. That will at least give you a rudimentary feel for it.

Something not often noted, but that works well for me, is that you can move your face instead of your hand for some tricky places on your face. You get super solid, steady, controlled movement. Not bad things, IMO.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I have some issues with my hands due to Multiple Sclerosis. I use a DE only a couple times a year. Normally I shave with a shavette or a straight without issue. The most helpful suggestion I got when I wanted to use a straight was to use a butter knife to practice. Use a butter knife, or shavette without a blade, to practice shaving. I started slow and was shaving exclusively with a straight in no time.

I lathered up after a DE shave and practiced with the back of a butter knife a couple of times. Then I moved on to doing the first pass with a straight and cleaning up with a DE. After about a half dozen shaves I was using a straight once a week.

Thank you for your service.

I should read before posting!! Great minds think alike...

If you can play guitar you'll be fine...plus you only need to control the blade within your fingers and thumb not grip it like a handle bar. I have had bad carpal tunnel injuries to my hands and my finger have bear no sensitivity to the tips but I manage fine....i just have issues with stropping so I am forced to rotate my wrist instead of holding it in my fingers, no biggy just takes a bit more to do.

Give it a go....just remember that the shave is very addictive when do right...lol

Top Bottom