What's new

yet another Penhaligon's question

I have wanted to visit Saks to sample the Penhaligon's scents before buying some of the soap, but I can never seem to find the time. Eventually, my fear of missing out on the pre-reformulation soap may call for quick action, so I want to ask you guys whether you think the BB or the English Fern soap has a more unique scent. I'll probably buy only one of them, and I'm thinking now (subject to change six times before the purchase) that I'd prefer the one that is most unlike other products that might be out there. Any thoughts? Thanks.

The scents of both are quite unique. They are unlike other soaps currently available. Let your nose decide what to buy.

I can't speak for the soaps, but the fragrances are both quite different from each other, and most other modern fragrances. BB is a variation on the traditional citrus cologne with added pepper and pine, while EF is pure barbershop nostalgia (SWMBO says "Shockingly soapy!").

Hope that helps! :biggrin:

EF has the more distinct scent. Honestly, I would buy one of each and keep the one you like best. You can always sell the other unwanted puck to me. Seriously.

Jim @ Vintage blades has the EF in a bowl and the BB pucks. Both with tallow.

EF has the more distinct scent. Honestly, I would buy one of each and keep the one you like best. You can always sell the other unwanted puck to me. Seriously.

Jim @ Vintage blades has the EF in a bowl and the BB pucks. Both with tallow.

How funny..I was going to say BB has teh more distinct scent.

I think BB has the most distinctive scent - but you really really need them both.

You do.

and - as pointed out above - you'd be able to sell one or both in right here, in a heartbeat.

This doesn't help at all, does it? To summarize - both BB and EF are equally unlike other soaps so you won't be right or wrong choosing just one. I don't think you'll get a more solid recommendation!

Send Penhaligons a request for EdT samples for both BB and EF--they'll usually send them out for free. If one of them is significantly more appealing to you than the other, there you go!

I can tell you that I'm really happy that I did this before purchasing a BB puck. The pine note just jumps up and smacks me so hard that I can hardly imagine shaving with it.

Send Penhaligons a request for EdT samples for both BB and EF--they'll usually send them out for free. If one of them is significantly more appealing to you than the other, there you go!

I can tell you that I'm really happy that I did this before purchasing a BB puck. The pine note just jumps up and smacks me so hard that I can hardly imagine shaving with it.

Samples ordered - thanks for the good idea (and for being the one non-enabler out here :biggrin:).

You bastards! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Clarification: "Bastards" is meant in the colloquial sense. This post should not be taken to mean that (a) any of you are the children of unwed parents, or (b) that there is anything wrong with being the child of unwed parents.

Last edited:
Well, I had an abrupt change of plans once I discovered that Vintage Blades only had one refill puck of BB left. Now they have none. After all this, I'm not missing out. (On the off chance I hate the smell, it seems pretty obvious that one of you guys will take it off my hands.)

I really found the EF to be more creamy and very nice. The Blenheim was a let down for me. I really expected to like Blemheim more. If I had to choose, EF, every time.

Fwiw, I think the BB is a much closer ringer for it's respective EdT than the EF is. That said, the BB soap has a softer scent that is more subdued than the EdT. No need to be worried about getting smacked in the face.

Glad you found one, Obsessed!

I think the BB in the bowl is still being sold on the vintage blades site on the same page as the EF in bowl. I'm trying to decide which I want as well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom