What's new

Yet another "newbie"

Hiya all!

Newbie to this forum, but not exactly a newbie to wetshaving (2-3 years or so). I have learned so much on this forum, so thank you! However, I think it is about time I put my 5 cents into some shaving discussions, which is why I've created this account.

I've started with DE shaving to cut on some costs, and like so many, fell into the trap of spending more money than initially intended. But it has been a blast, and I still consider myself a moderate/low-spender. I'm currently in the UK, so some of the products I use are maybe more standard here than elsewhere. The first kit I bought was King C Gillette with Astra superior platinum, Omega 10049 and Arko stick. It worked, and it pulled me into it. I've never used anything else than Astra blades, never felt the need to experiment. Special shout also for King C Gillette. It's a great razor! Yes, on the milder side, but if you are in a hurry (who isn't), don't have time to soften your hair, or your skin is still cold from the outside temperatures, you can always rely on King C to get a decent shave with no nicks. I always keep it in my rotation. Arko is also my favourite design of any soap out there, but yes there are better soaps that I wanted to try (with more pleasant scent), so I slowly put it out of the rotation. Omega Bristles are my fav, feel great on the face, but the 10049 is too big for everyday use.

general: sensitive skin, bowl lathering, daily shave in the evenings.

Razors:

I now own also Parker semi-slant and Yaqi Mellon head. No good word about Parker I'm afraid. Inferior quality control, not great shaving experience. I might give it another go, but I think It is not for me. Mellon head is great, and I think it is slightly more aggressive than King C Gillette. It is my current daily driver. But to be fair, both are kind of the same.

Soaps and cremes:
Proraso green
, what a performance! and I love the scent. I buy it in TK Maxx if it is discounted. Red is not my type of scent. But does the trick. Mitchell's Wool Fat. Man, I really wanted to love this soap because it's local for me, and i like the fact that it is not scented. I work outdoors so not really office/professional environment where anyone would notice "special" scents. So I thought it would be a perfect daily soap. It took me a while to get it slick (basically, you need to use pleeeentyyy of water). Before that, it was drying my skin way too much. I now tolerate it, but it is a hassle compared to others. After i finish the current puck, I doubt I will repurchase it. I also have a bunch of Stirling soap testers. They all work amazingly well. Much better lather slickness than MWF, but to be honest, all the scents of the soaps are the same no matter the name? Not sure if that is because i keep them in the same box. Taylor of Old Bond Street -Cedarwood creme: Amazing scent and lather. I save it for special occasions because it is a bit too expensive for me. I've also tried Palmolive creme. Yea, it works. Nothing special.

Brushes:
Another omega 50014 for travelling. Great stuff. Yaqi bristle brush (I don't know the model): Yea, it's not great. I was surprised about the praise on this forum. Shedding is a real problem in that brush, and the breaking-in doesn't happen. Bristles are still too harsh after more than a month of daily use. Simpson Trafalgar 2, a great quality brush and I love the design, but the synthetics are too springy for my lathering technique. Usually, i use it if i don't have time to properly dry my brush. (aka for travels)

Accessories:
I use one of those cheap silicon dog bowls for bowl lathering. It's perfect, works, great for travel... But I do admit it is not a great look. Whatever! I store my soap pucks in a charity shop in small ceramic baking containers, and those are perfect. Beautiful and useful.

Aftershave: Something for sensitive skin. Usually, buy something that's discounted in stores. Currently using Fuzzy Duck sensitive from charity shop - 1 GBP. Does the trick. For special occasions, though... Stella Alpina. Man, I love that smell; it also lasts for a few hours. Perfect for a date night or something. Too expensive for daily use.

Shaving is a great daily routine for me. I must fight consumerism to finish my current supply before buying anything new. Supply should probably last me for at least a year or two even. Stop!
Anyways, see you around the forums.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Welcome. Seems like you'll fit right in. Great introduction and looking forward to hearing more.

Goatrope

Eccentric and destitute of reason
Hiya all!

Newbie to this forum, but not exactly a newbie to wetshaving (2-3 years or so). I have learned so much on this forum, so thank you! However, I think it is about time I put my 5 cents into some shaving discussions, which is why I've created this account.

I've started with DE shaving to cut on some costs, and like so many, fell into the trap of spending more money than initially intended. But it has been a blast, and I still consider myself a moderate/low-spender. I'm currently in the UK, so some of the products I use are maybe more standard here than elsewhere. The first kit I bought was King C Gillette with Astra superior platinum, Omega 10049 and Arko stick. It worked, and it pulled me into it. I've never used anything else than Astra blades, never felt the need to experiment. Special shout also for King C Gillette. It's a great razor! Yes, on the milder side, but if you are in a hurry (who isn't), don't have time to soften your hair, or your skin is still cold from the outside temperatures, you can always rely on King C to get a decent shave with no nicks. I always keep it in my rotation. Arko is also my favourite design of any soap out there, but yes there are better soaps that I wanted to try (with more pleasant scent), so I slowly put it out of the rotation. Omega Bristles are my fav, feel great on the face, but the 10049 is too big for everyday use.

general: sensitive skin, bowl lathering, daily shave in the evenings.

Razors:

I now own also Parker semi-slant and Yaqi Mellon head. No good word about Parker I'm afraid. Inferior quality control, not great shaving experience. I might give it another go, but I think It is not for me. Mellon head is great, and I think it is slightly more aggressive than King C Gillette. It is my current daily driver. But to be fair, both are kind of the same.

Soaps and cremes:
Proraso green
, what a performance! and I love the scent. I buy it in TK Maxx if it is discounted. Red is not my type of scent. But does the trick. Mitchell's Wool Fat. Man, I really wanted to love this soap because it's local for me, and i like the fact that it is not scented. I work outdoors so not really office/professional environment where anyone would notice "special" scents. So I thought it would be a perfect daily soap. It took me a while to get it slick (basically, you need to use pleeeentyyy of water). Before that, it was drying my skin way too much. I now tolerate it, but it is a hassle compared to others. After i finish the current puck, I doubt I will repurchase it. I also have a bunch of Stirling soap testers. They all work amazingly well. Much better lather slickness than MWF, but to be honest, all the scents of the soaps are the same no matter the name? Not sure if that is because i keep them in the same box. Taylor of Old Bond Street -Cedarwood creme: Amazing scent and lather. I save it for special occasions because it is a bit too expensive for me. I've also tried Palmolive creme. Yea, it works. Nothing special.

Brushes:
Another omega 50014 for travelling. Great stuff. Yaqi bristle brush (I don't know the model): Yea, it's not great. I was surprised about the praise on this forum. Shedding is a real problem in that brush, and the breaking-in doesn't happen. Bristles are still too harsh after more than a month of daily use. Simpson Trafalgar 2, a great quality brush and I love the design, but the synthetics are too springy for my lathering technique. Usually, i use it if i don't have time to properly dry my brush. (aka for travels)

Accessories:
I use one of those cheap silicon dog bowls for bowl lathering. It's perfect, works, great for travel... But I do admit it is not a great look. Whatever! I store my soap pucks in a charity shop in small ceramic baking containers, and those are perfect. Beautiful and useful.

Aftershave: Something for sensitive skin. Usually, buy something that's discounted in stores. Currently using Fuzzy Duck sensitive from charity shop - 1 GBP. Does the trick. For special occasions, though... Stella Alpina. Man, I love that smell; it also lasts for a few hours. Perfect for a date night or something. Too expensive for daily use.

Shaving is a great daily routine for me. I must fight consumerism to finish my current supply before buying anything new. Supply should probably last me for at least a year or two even. Stop!
Anyways, see you around the forums.
Welcome to B&B!

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Welcome to the forum from Australia. Thanks for the great introductory post. I like reading these detailed introductions.

Welcome!

You said Mitchell's wool fat was local implying you are UK based.

So If that's true, I have to ask, where did you get the Stirling samples from?

Top Bottom