What's new

...yet another new guy. An intro.

Hello everyone --

After lurking a few weeks on numerous shave sites, thought it time to 'join up' so to speak.

I live in a DC suburb, am 57 and have been shaving since the mid-60's. Unhappy with shave results, shavers, goo and such for the last 10 years, I set out to improve the process. I'm impressed with the scope of topics and depth of knowlege of everyone here; I've learned a great deal from you folks already and enjoy the site and participants.

Shaving has become quite enjoyable of late and the results are wonderful. I'll post from time to time, hop in on some of the threads, even tell some stories; I can be an entertaining storyteller. :001_smile

-- John Gehman

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Howdy, John.

You'll find a wealth of information here. Pull up a seat and hang on to your wallet.:001_rolle

Leisureguy said:
Welcome, John. What equipment are you using now for your daily shave?

Michael, all --

Still using the M3 for now. Started by buying a C&E badger, a couple tubes of C&E Sandalwood and Nomad. A tube of Proraso. A small but pretty fruitbowl we had for a mug (my wife had a fit). Bought a dozen washcloths and half a dozen facial towels for cheap at Target; they make quite a difference in face-washing. I've been using witchhazel (USP 86% wh, 14% alchohol) as an astringent --have continued this. Also generally use Clinique 'post shave healer' which is like some the 'skin foods' people talk about and really like it.

I have a bath countertop filled with EDT's and colonges I've acquired over the years. So I started actually using them. :blush:

The future: I've decided I'm going to learn to shave with a straight, but don't think that will replace a more modern razor. Frankly, face-washing, and wet-shaving with brush really improved the M3 shave dramatically. I'm open to DE's but really, I don't have fond memories of them from the 60's. We'll see where this goes.

I'm in no particular hurry and expect to have a lot of fun with this...

Thanks for the welcom.

-- John Gehman

Next get an alum bar. Adds a lot to the shave experience.

I know what you mean about the DE experience---I started with one in the 50s and still recall the bits of toilet paper stuck to my face. But we really didn't know the technique, and there was no resource through which to learn. I really am enjoying it now.

Leisureguy said:
Next get an alum bar. Adds a lot to the shave experience.

I know what you mean about the DE experience---I started with one in the 50s and still recall the bits of toilet paper stuck to my face. But we really didn't know the technique, and there was no resource through which to learn. I really am enjoying it now.

Thanks Michael. That'll be my next acquisition. Er,..can you point me at some info about the alum bar and its use?

I well recall the bleeding and the tp bits in those years.

Worse was field shaving while I was overseas in the service. Dull blade, GI soap, no mirror, tepid or cold and unsanitary (at best) water, etc. Yuck.

Y'know, life is pretty good today. :w00t:

-- John Gehman

When you finish your shave and rinse your face, first with hot water, then with cold, you then rub the alum bar over your still-wet face. It may sting a little, but it does a great job. One guy said:

I use an alum block every day regardless of whether I’ve nicked myself. The alum block is an antiseptic, reduces razor burn, stops minor bleeds, and tells you how well you’ve shaved: the more it stings the harsher your shave. My shave isn’t complete without one.​

Here's a discussion. And I talk about it on my blog.

And when you order the alum bar, to save on shipping costs, why not order a Merkur Vision and a pack of Feather blades? :001_smile (This is how shaving maniacs think: always on the lookout for how to save money on shipping.)

Leisureguy said:
And when you order the alum bar, to save on shipping costs, why not order a Merkur Vision and a pack of Feather blades? :001_smile (This is how shaving maniacs think: always on the lookout for how to save money on shipping.)

Hmm, save on shipping by adding a $90 razor to your order... seems more like a net loss (well aside from gaining the vision) :wink:

Top Bottom