What's new

Yet another Merkur 34C thread.

Sir, I suppose the 1904 you are talking about is the 42C? If so yes, the head design is the same and blade exposure is the same, too (this is my experience with my razors). At the same time, the 34C is heavier and could behave a little more aggressively if you use some more pressure. For a quality shave with the 34C use the weight of the razor only during passes.
Thanks Marco! I appreciate your opinion on the subject as I know you have used them and loved them for quite some time now!

I've a Merkur 20c, when i change the handle with a short heavy one from G&F it becames my travel razor optimal for one/two days beard. Not aggressive quit efficient a good razor indeed

I have both the 1909 and the 34C. For some reason, I too, find the 1909 slightly less aggressive than the 34C. It may be the weight differential since the 1909 is lighter. However, I also read in a different thread that the heads are slightly different.

I just ordered a second 34G as a backup to the first one I bought in 2017. I have Gillette Old Types, NEWs (LC and SC), Techs and Super Speeds as well as an earlier MK1 Fatip and a Feather ASD2. So there's a fair representation of razor effectiveness there. I was amazed at the 34 when I used it for the first time. If someone.....anyone, could/would make that exact razor in a more durable material I think it would sell very well. Merkur handles are already made of brass, so if they could manufacture the base plate and top cap from brass as well one would think they could price it accordingly and recoup the initial outlay. Especially when there are customers on waiting lists for $500+ razors.

alishock

I wrap my lips around a lovely pipe
After moving on to the R41 I definitely appreciate the 34C. I love them both but the smooth nature of the merkur is wonderful

My wife bought me a 33C about 6 years ago after a friend shared how much he saves over cartridge shaving. Well she should have known better with my addictive personality. Now years later and several thousand dollars spent, I determined I will not break even with cartridge shaving for another 9.7 years if I don't buy anything else. Hah! After using the 33C for awhile ( a great learning 3 piece razor ), I added a heavier Bulldog handle and essentially now have a 34C HD. I love the razor. Its mild, and forgiving. However, I wanted a little more aggressive razor as I went on my everyday BBS quest and went to a Weber PH for several years, then a Rockwell plate 6, Razorock Gamechanger .84, Karve plate F, and finally a Timeless SS .95. I still like the 34C a lot and probably could have stayed with it exclusively but I really like all these razors. The Merkur is a great value and still looks brand new. Every time I use it, I think sentimentally how my wife actually introduced me to wet shaving. Its all her fault.

Top Bottom