What's new

Yet Another Journal of Razors and Blades and Stuff

Henson AL13+++
Gillette Silver Blue (2)
AP Shave 24mm G5C
Chiseled Face Midnight Stag soap sample
Stirling unscented menthol ASB

First use of the Midnight Stag sample. If you want to smell like you've been working on that fixer-upper in the garage for the last 4 hours, this is the scent for you - motor oil, tar, smoke,... It reminds me of Southern Witchcraft's Valley of Ashes. That scent fits SW's vibe and I wanted to like it, but it was just too out there for me. Same with this one. I'll use it up, but wouldn't buy a tub.

Not quite as close a shave as Wednesday, particularly on my neck, but still plenty close that I'm happy with it. And @lasta will be pleased to know that GSB has qualified for the next edition of my Blade Power Rankings, based on having resulted in no weepers at least once. I'm not ready to put it above Nacet yet, but it's a quality blade for sure.

Result: DFS+ (8/10)
Nicks & weepers: none!

Henson AL13+++
Gillette Silver Blue (3)
AP Shave 24mm G5C
La Toja stick
Southern Witchcrafts Pomona splash

Grabbed a quick shave this evening.

Result: DFS+ (8.5/10)
Weepers: lotsa small ones - neck, jawlines, chin, mustache

The aggressive is capable of an exceptional shave, and I've gotten to where I can avoid drawing blood on a good day, but I really have to be very careful and attentive. The fast shaves just don't seem to go as well, and sometimes I just need to get it done quickly. It's counterintuitive, but the medium does better for me for a quick shave. It shaves almost as close, and with fewer weepers when I'm hurried. Maybe I should just do 1 pass with the +++ in this case and be ok with a DFS- or CCS+ to avoid weepers and irritation. Maybe next time I'll see how that goes. But for 2 quick passes, the ++ definitely does better for me.

Henson AL13+++
Gillette Silver Blue (4)
Wald A1
Southern Witchcrafts Gothorum Tonstrina

IMG_4166.jpeg

Not one to adhere to convention, even my own, I pulled out the Southern Witchcraft soap today instead of Wednesday. Great lather, awesome scent, and I wanted to use this brush, which I've been avoiding using with sample jars. I said after I bought this brush that the only thing that might make me consider another one was if Wald made something between the 29mm A1 and the 18mm mini. So I’ve been curious about the Wald Calyx (27mm) and waiting for someone to compare it to the A1. But I like the look of this A1 so much that I don't think it would matter. I'd probably prefer the size of the Calyx to the A1, but I don’t think I’d replace it for a marginally preferable size.

Closeness: DFS+ (7.5/10)
Weepers: several (chin, right jawline)

When I get everything right with my technique, there's no beating the +++. Problem is, it demands near-perfect technique, whereas the ++ is at least somewhat forgiving - not that you can be careless with any DE, but as forgiving as any DE I've tried anyway. Which is why I'm still leaning toward the ++. I'd rather a somewhat easier shave that's very good than a challenging shave that has the potential to be great. But maybe I'll change my mind over the next 3 weeks.

Halfway through round 2 with the +++ and it's underperforming round 1. I don't blame the GSB, it seems to be a fine blade, I think it's just day to day variability with a small data set. Still, I think I'll go back to Nacet next.

Last edited:
Excellent enablement, my brush aficionado friend! 😀

I’m a little curious but staying on the sidelines for now. I’m sure I’ll see some comparisons eventually, and an occasional Calyx on BST markets. Perhaps I’ll be more than just a little curious by then… 😏
Lol, I couldn't resist! Planned purchases are usually better than impulse purchases! I bet I spend about a month researching brushes before I pull the trigger. Well, except for the brush I used today 🤣. It was a Limited Edition so that was more of an impulse purchase and it worked out!

The Chubby 2 Super I have en route had been percolating for about a year!

Lol, I couldn't resist! Planned purchases are usually better than impulse purchases! I bet I spend about a month researching brushes before I pull the trigger. Well, except for the brush I used today 🤣. It was a Limited Edition so that was more of an impulse purchase and it worked out!

The Chubby 2 Super I have en route had been percolating for about a year!
What are we here for if not to enable each other just a little further down the rabbit hole? 😂😂

Top Bottom