What's new

Yet another hone ID thread

Bought this the other day a finally got around to lapping it today.

It's not a Vermont slate but it looks kinda like one. I've had one of those and this is thicker than they are and much harder.

Measures - 6"x2"x7/8"

The slurry is almost black off my DMT, the slurry in the picture was made with a trans arkie and I believe it added to the slurry and lightened it. Tried using the hybrid side of a Les lat to slurry it and really got nothing out of it.

It's hard but not super hard when lapping.

No smell of oil at all.

Cloudy pattern with spots here and there. The side shows layering.

Haven't had a chance to hone on it yet but after smoothing it out with the hybrid slurry stone it has a nice reflection going.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407982808.873101.jpg
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407982822.390466.jpg
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407982839.844546.jpg
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407982854.736622.jpg
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407982864.943948.jpg

Last edited:
It's not a Vermont slate but it looks kinda like one. I've had one of those and this is thicker than they are and much harder.

What's up with the recent Vermont slate hype? Never seen one like what you've posted, never had one that actually delivered, and I've been waiting for a promised piece of "15k" Kentucky slate to arrive that looks a lot more like the stone that's shown here.

Last edited:
I'm not sure. I had one a few years ago and it was soft. This is no where near soft. This is what it has done to my Les lat hybrid slurry stone from me trying to slurry it.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407988702.637714.jpg

The stone seems like it might have some inclusions in it. I did 100 laps on water with a razor that was finished on a y/g thuri and it really polished it in some areas and left scratches in others. I might lap the back of it flat if they don't come out pretty quick. Really don't want to do that and lose the original "skin" on it though.

Interesting Stone....do you own any Vintage Yellow Lakes unlabelled or from Salmens (not the newer ones sold from AJ) ? My feeling was that they have a certain hardness, i mean its not so easy to raise slurry...but the slurry isnt black...

The only stone comparable from the ones i own could be this....does this layering look like this ?

proxy.php

Yeah kinda. Not that dramatic. More subtle. You can see the layering in the second and fourth pics.

I don't own any yellow lakes, this thing is damn near impossible to raise a slurry unless you use a DMT.

Yeah kinda. Not that dramatic. More subtle. You can see the layering in the second and fourth pics.

I dont own any comparable one, though the guessing on slate type stones is quite difficult....

The one i showed was a type of Brazillian Slate, dont know if it the layering might be an indicator on these...however the layers look....

Keep us updated on the results when honing works properly...

What's up with the recent Vermont slate hype? Never seen one like what you've posted, never had one that actually delivered, and I've been waiting for a promised piece of "15k" Kentucky slate to arrive that looks a lot more like the stone that's shown here.

Alan, Is that one from Dennis?

Top Bottom