What's new

Yet another.....first time with the Grande

I received a most recent version Fatip Grande and finally got up the nerve to try it out on two days growth this morning. The result? Probably the best two pass BBS/near BBS (above chin/below chin) I've had....but, with irritation. OTOH, it wasn't nearly as scary as one might think and at no time did I feel like it would bite, no weepers, no nicks. But, I was paying pretty close attention. The shave was much more comfortable and close than the NEW deluxe that I picked up at the same time (that one will take a lot more work to both cut better and irritate less and requires even more close attention as the blade feel is greater).

I feel like this could become a pretty good option, particularly with two days growth. However, I'd really have to up my technique with this razor to make it a daily driver. I need something more aggressive than mild, but I pay for shaves that are too close. Nonetheless, it will be fun to try to improve my technique and work it into a regular rotation....and, hopefully get a lot less alum sting on the neck in the tender bits.

Soap was MWF and blade was a new Astra SP (which, alone, will likely lead to more comfortable shaves as it settles in).

I'm looking for the 'Like' button for all the above posts. I agree...love the Picollo (same head, different handle).
Fatip make a good razor which could be great if they sorted out their fit and finish of the products.
Mine is the Mk.2 head, and they do shave sweetly.

I bet you could make it a daily driver with the right technique and the right blade. I have the same problem with my Gillette New LC. Really close shaves but it tends to bite. I never quite figured out how to do daily shaves with it and so I tend not to use it very much.

Good luck with it.

I'm looking for the 'Like' button for all the above posts. I agree...love the Picollo (same head, different handle).
Fatip make a good razor which could be great if they sorted out their fit and finish of the products.
Mine is the Mk.2 head, and they do shave sweetly.

After reading about the finish, I purposely didn't inspect it too closely :). I can feel the knurling at the bottom of the handle is a bit too sharp, but did not investigate beyond that. Getting the blade aligned was pretty easy.

I've now done four shaves in five days with the Grande and it's working out pretty well. Still getting too much alum sting on the neck due to difficulty in maintaining the angle. On my face, I can get that "you don't think it's cutting, but it's cutting" feeling. OTOH, used regularly, attempting to avoid irritation, I'm not sure it's any better than a pre-war Tech.

It can take a couple weeks to master a new razor.

True...on to week two of trying to make it a daily shaver and it gets better everyday with less irritation. I'm using a super shallow angle. Now trying an IP as the Astra SP wasn't great in this razor. OTOH, the efficiency and closeness is pretty impressive.

Top Bottom