What's new

Yet another first straight shave

So I waited all week to make sure that I had time. Showered and used a conditioner on my mug to prep things. Lathered up some Proraso, got out the rest of my shaving goods, and got out my new (to me) Wester Bros. straight. Pre-dialed 911 on my phone, said goodbye to my wife kids, and patted my dog on the head.

It was time.

Started on the left cheek. Carefully - oh so carefully - set the razor against my face. Raised the spine a skosh, and down my face it went. Just a bit of course.

Huh. Heard whiskers screaming in agony as they were catapulted off of my face, while my skin cackled in glee. Rinse, wipe on towel, repeat. Somewhere during this process, I realized that I had much of my neck and both cheeks done.

Nicks? Nope. Weepers? What are those? Decided discretion really was the better part of valor and saved the really tricky bits and second pass for a DE this time.

End result? First of all, manipulating the razor to maintain the right angle for my face, adjusting grip, and tugging skin to keep things taught was the main bit, but I already figured out a couple of things. There is a long way to go obviously, but what a great start. Didn't even have to sew my ear back on.

Perhaps more importantly, holy frijoles my face is happy! Way less irritation than even a DE shave with a brand new blade. Skin feels amazing.

Hello slope - mind if I roll down?

Outstanding!!!! And Welcome to the Rabbit Hole of No Return:thumbup: Now it is time to start your acquisitions to include Sheffield, Solingen, and of course the much Coveted Swedish and Spanish Blades. Do not forget to add to your list the numerous Strops, Tallow Based soap formulas, (They are the slickest of all) and lest we never forget the Value of a Huge Rock Quarry of various Natural and Synthetic Hones:thumbup:

A great first experience. Well done. I didn't have to prep much when I first shaved with a straight almost 20 years ago. I was covered with sweat from worrying I would cut my throat open and bleed to death!

Great job and great discretion on the harder bits. It gets easier with experience and what you should be feeling on feedback from the razor.

Mike

Quick update on the SR front. Shave this morning had me on the straight for the left half of my face and neck, much of my throat and chin, and a bit of my right cheek. I am VERY left hand dominant, so the learning curve to shave my right side - whether it be with my left hand or switching to my right - is a bit steeper. Still WAY more comfort with a straight than a DE, and a couple of trouble spots that leave wayward whiskers with a DE every time are easily hacked with my SR.

In short, I love it.

Couple of things that I've noticed:

Glide is more important for safe and comfy shaving with an SR. I am almost better off with a thicker/drier lather than a lighter and more airy one like I use with my DEs.

i absolutely need another razor for that dreaded day when I send my razor to hone. Not ready to tackle that chore myself yet. Plus, RAD. :)

Excellent! It just gets better and better!
Just remember to take your time and yes the more razors the better...lol...just like chips, you cant only have one...lol

So another night, another shave. I now have two WD strops and the prerequisite balsa strop. Taking it slow and easy there as well.

i finished the majority of my face today with the straight, with two passes on the left and my neck on for much of the rest. Just didn't do the bit right under my chin and a coupl spots on the righ/center of my neck.

My neck is where the shave really shines. Way less irritation and a LOT closer shave than with my DE.

Top Bottom