What's new

Yet ANOTHER First HD Shave

Yup, gmc beat me too it by hours, but I just had to post anyway. It's a little long, or maybe just long-winded, but here's my first DE shave experience. Movie options available...

Part I - Not ideal circumstances

I really shouldn't be trying a new shaving technique with 4 days growth, but that's what I did. It was just a really busy weekend, and by Sunday evening, that's what I was left with. I thought about using the Trac II as always and waiting for a better day to try my sparkling new Merkur HD, but the draw was too much, I had to try.

Also, unfortunately, I never did get any shave cream, so I relied on my Alba lubricating lotion, not what I think would do the best job with the DE, but I jumped in anyway.

Part II - The shave

Well, after some good prep, I start with, admittedly, some trepidation. I was very concerned about getting the angle right, etc. So I start off slowly. The first stroke, the angle was slightly too acute, so there was some cutting, but not much. Going back, I found it was almost automatic to find the right angle. You can just FEEL when the angle is right, and the HD just slid over the skin, removing almost all of the 4-days' growth. More confident, I continue, but maybe a bit too quickly. I learn with a nick that the perfect angle must be respected. Enough said.

After about half my face, I'm feeling pretty good, but I now know for sure that the shaving lotion is only adequate, but no more. I resolve to get some Tom's on Monday.

I finish the first N-S round, and decide that I would go straight to the S-N - kind of just to get acquainted to the new machine. The angle is even more important now, I find out with a couple of weepers, and is much more difficult to maintain. But it doesn't take long for that comfortable little handle to help you feel what you need to do. I complete the S-N, and I'm done my first shave.

Part III - The results

Clearly, I'm going to have, at best, mixed results. First shave, too much growth, not the right cream, etc. Still, I was thinking it would be a much bloodier experience than it was. One or two small nicks, maybe the same number of weepers, no real bleeding or marks.

The shave was not as close as I know I can get, and maybe the four-pass will be the ticket. I will try that next shave. Even having said that, the shave was still amazingly close, and very easy to achieve. And the kicker, at least for me, was that my face did not feel like I had just shaved. My face always "felt shaved" with my Trac II, with my HD, I felt "shaven" and, even though it might be a subtle difference, it is significant.

Part IV - Conclusion.

There's just no going back. That single blade just felt good on the skin, and the whole process just seems more like an experience than a grooming duty. Although I thought the razor seemed a little small when I first took it out of the box, it feels really good in my hand, and I can see, even with one short shave, that I can get more shaving joy out of this little machine than out of my Trac II, and my Philishave electric torture device will find a new home in the landfill - what a waste.

Thanks to everyone on B&B who gave me such great advice.

Peace,

Pierre

Great job Pierre.

Welcome to the world of wet-shaving, a very rewarding, quite addictive, and extremely pleasurable past-time!

If you are new to a DE, I wouldn't get anywhere near a four pass for now. Concentrate on learning good prep, and a couple of N-S passes while your face adapts. Then add an across-grain pass, and then finally when you are really comfortable, go against the grain. I guarantee you if you go for the end game immediately, you are going to have issues.

Start by getting some good cream (and a brush...) and go from there. Ask questions as you go!

BTW, welcome!

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Glad to hear it. Just take it slow and easy for awhile, and it will become second nature. It just keeps getting better.

What blade did you use?

ouch said:
Glad to hear it. Just take it slow and easy for awhile, and it will become second nature. It just keeps getting better.

What blade did you use?

I bought the razor from Men Essentials and they only sell Merkur DE blades, so I purchased 10 of those, and that's what I'm using. I would like to try the Derby blades though, they seem like a good alternative. Unfortunately, whatever I buy I have to get shipped from the States, which can be a real pain in the butt.

I wish there was just a shaving store I could go to and talk to a human about this, but the world seems to think shaving revolves around how many crappy little blunt blades you can fit into a vibrating, rotating peice of coloured plastic.

Sad

I know there's also the Feather blades (a little scary maybe?), Isreali blades (no idea where to pick those up), Swedish Gillettes (again, where do I find these?) and the personna sp? blades (ditto).

Anyway, the Merkur blade seems to feel pretty good, so I'm not in a hurry to move on. Eventually I'll try a bunch, and probably in different razors too. I have the bug now you know.

Peace,

Pierre

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I'd be happy to send you a couple of Feathers and Derby Extras (See how I cheated? I really don't know how to write the plural of Derby.) to try out. Just PM me your address. When you find a blade that you love, you'll eventually buy them by the hundred (I'm currently planning for a nuclear winter). Same with creams. Ask around, and the guys in here will probably be able to accomodate almost any request.

Ah, another poor soul heading down the path of ruin......

ouch said:
I'd be happy to send you a couple of Feathers and Derby Extras (See how I cheated? I really don't know how to write the plural of Derby.) to try out. Just PM me your address. When you find a blade that you love, you'll eventually buy them by the hundred (I'm currently planning for a nuclear winter). Same with creams. Ask around, and the guys in here will probably be able to accomodate almost any request.

Looooooooooooool :biggrin: :biggrin:

Remember He is still at Stage one of Scotto 's path to addiction ! we can save his poor soullbut do we want to ? :tongue_sm :tongue_sm :tongue_sm

ouch said:

Genius, my man! The only thing better than being smart is tricking everyone into believing that you are smart.:lol: :lol: :lol:

Top Bottom