What's new

Yet another Ever Ready 'Sun Ray' ... and something clicked into place

The Ever Ready 'Sun Ray' is indeed a fine razor, the late British model known to be a damn good shave embellished with retro-Deco patterns ... but what do we know about it?

It was a special set from the 1950s, sold as a double-set with a stropper and strop in a square bakelite case. I've also seen the razor alone in a highly polished nickel case similar to the Streamline/Jewel but not exactly the same.

When I saw that, it opened my mind up to the idea that these razor could well have been sold in other cases ...

One such candidate was the same style case as the 'Sun Ray' but half the size and without the stropper. These sets were often sold out with regular British Made Ever Ready 1912s and that was that ... or so I thought. I had pondered upon the handle of that razor which is abruptly terminated; dramatically flat, as if filed for a case it didn't quite fit. Hold that thought.

My latest acquisition is a 'Sun Ray' in such a case ... and now, it all clicks into place ...

proxy.php

Notice how the razor sits absolutely flat in this case, which bears all the hallmarks of the larger (square) case/set that we more readily associate the 'Sun Ray' with:

proxy.php

Compare that to these dramatically flat ended regular 1912s that we more often see in these cases:

proxy.php

... sits on a slope.

proxy.php

I postulate that these cases were indeed designed for the 'Sun Ray' razors, a limited run which didn't quite add up to the number of cases that they had ... or they changed their mind early into the project and decided to sell them out as a double-set with stropper.

Either way, that surplus of half-sized cases was available and the regular 1912 got filed down to fit.

Interestingly, there were other colours ...

proxy.php

... perhaps intended for the 'Sun Ray'?

The Ever Ready 'Sun Ray' is indeed a fine razor, the late British model known to be a damn good shave embellished with retro-Deco patterns ... but what do we know about it?

It was a special set from the 1950s, sold as a double-set with a stropper and strop in a square bakelite case. I've also seen the razor alone in a highly polished nickel case similar to the Streamline/Jewel but not exactly the same.

When I saw that, it opened my mind up to the idea that these razor could well have been sold in other cases ...

One such candidate was the same style case as the 'Sun Ray' but half the size and without the stropper. These sets were often sold out with regular British Made Ever Ready 1912s and that was that ... or so I thought. I had pondered upon the handle of that razor which is abruptly terminated; dramatically flat, as if filed for a case it didn't quite fit. Hold that thought.

My latest acquisition is a 'Sun Ray' in such a case ... and now, it all clicks into place ...

proxy.php

Notice how the razor sits absolutely flat in this case, which bears all the hallmarks of the larger (square) case/set that we more readily associate the 'Sun Ray' with:

proxy.php

Compare that to these dramatically flat ended regular 1912s that we more often see in these cases:

proxy.php

... sits on a slope.

proxy.php

I postulate that these cases were indeed designed for the 'Sun Ray' razors, a limited run which didn't quite add up to the number of cases that they had ... or they changed their mind early into the project and decided to sell them out as a double-set with stropper.

Either way, that surplus of half-sized cases was available and the regular 1912 got filed down to fit.

Interestingly, there were other colours ...

proxy.php

... perhaps intended for the 'Sun Ray'?
Congratulations on your latest find. Some guys have all the luck! I've been actively looking for over a year. I found one BIN on the UK eBay last year and immediately hit the button only to have it come back saying it was no longer available. Grrr.

Why do they sit differently, aren't they the same basic razor?

Yes, they are indeed basically the same razor ... the difference is, the regular 1912 handle end is the same diameter as the main part of the shaft; the 'Sun Ray' has a sculpted end with the very end filed down to a narrower diameter.

It is that very specific shape which fits so perfectly into these smaller cases that really does have me thinking they must have been specifically designed for the 'Sun Ray' ... this latest one came in that case and while I might have just dismissed it as a mismatched set, it got me thinking.

Here's the 'Sun Ray' handle end ...

proxy.php

Congratulations on your latest find. Some guys have all the luck! I've been actively looking for over a year. I found one BIN on the UK eBay last year and immediately hit the button only to have it come back saying it was no longer available. Grrr.

Keep hunting! The perfect one will come along ...

When I first started collecting vintage razors maybe three years ago, I saw one of these and dismissed it as the price was a little more than I expected to pay. I thought there'd be a regular throughput ... but 18 months on, I saw another and chased it regardless of price. Another year 'til I saw another, passed up on that one (an absolutely mint example and priced accordingly) which I was subsequently offered shortly afterwards by the buyer (who I knew), passed on it again ... to have it offered by the next owner. I bought it at that point. Providence.

This latest one really did just look like a mis-matched set and I guess a lot of folks just overlooked it ...

I really do think these smaller cases were indeed designed for these 'Sun Ray' razors. The internals are the same as the larger case.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Those are beautiful! And thanks for your insight.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Top Bottom