What's new

Yet another DE noob

Hi, all!

I just started using a DE razor about 3-4 weeks ago, inspired by Rick Harrison's commercial for the Micro One Touch. After lurking here and gathering info, I found good resources at http://www.maggardrazors.com/ , http://sharpologist.com/ , and Becker's site http://www.rabfeatsofclay.com/page1.php .

After 42 years of cartridge shaving, I got tired of paying the high tribute for Fusion blades. I have been using good badger brushes and Col. Conk glycerin shave soaps for about 20 years; I had NO IDEA how to make a decent lather until checking around here, youtube, etc. I used to just heat the brush under hot water, load up the soap, and face lather. What a difference a warm bowl and a better technique can make!

At any rate, here's my starter kit I got at Maggard's:

Parker 92R TTO (perhaps slightly on the "too mild" side, waiting on an EJ DE89L )
Simpson Case 1 best badger (what an improvement on my much more ex$pen$ive Mason Pearson pure badger!)
Maggard's glycerin pre-shave (orange...nice!)
TOBS Almond shave cream (love the Almond scent!)
Col. Conk's pucks (Used them for years, and like it so much better when it's creamy and not "soapy sloppy")
Bic Metal detail razor (for below-the-nose-and-above-the 'stache...someone on B&B posted about these, nice!)

Blades I've tried:

Red Personna, Crystal, German Wilkinson, 7 O'clock yellow pack (so far, my fave)
I've sent in some to the blade exchange here so I can try Feathers and Personna "Lab Blues" .
I see the Blade Exchange as a super way to test drive a few blades before settling in on a type to buy in bulk. I can't believe how darn many choices are out there!

Stuff I'm waiting on:

Becker set of 008 scuttle, 007 puck holder, and 006 wet shaver caddy combo. Pics when I get them. I love hot lather, and really can't wait to check out this large scuttle. Also, the aforementioned EJ DE89L. Hoping to get a lil closer and get better feedback.

I really didn't slice myself up too badly the first couple of shaves. A little practice and patience, and I was getting pretty good results until the shave bumps started showing up :thumbdown . I never had this problem before, but LO! some good tips have been found here. Face Mapping?? REALLY??? Yeah, I guess, huh? I found my sideburn grain grows towards my nose...both sides..weird! The border of my neck hair grows towards my Adam's apple, and the rest of it grows North to South. Who knew? SO, I'm working on it...too much "tech" and not enough "nique" at present.

I really didn't know when I started this journey, that I was really getting into a new "hobby".

Thanks, guys!

Welcome! I am very fortunate to have Maggard's only an hour away from me. So when I order, I always get it next day. Some of the nicest people out there!

Welcome! I am very fortunate to have Maggard's only an hour away from me. So when I order, I always get it next day. Some of the nicest people out there!
Oh yes they are! Cassie and Brad are WAY good folks to deal with; great feedback to questions and very helpful. I usually order something 1 day, and 2 days later it shows up in the Dallas area for me.

Oh yes they are! Cassie and Brad are WAY good folks to deal with; great feedback to questions and very helpful. I usually order something 1 day, and 2 days later it shows up in the Dallas area for me.

Shipping that fast can be a bad thing......lol

I have a feeling I may end up putting their first born through college.

Shipping that fast can be a bad thing......lol

I have a feeling I may end up putting their first born through college.
Yeah...as I said this has developed into a hobby. I hope it's not as expensive as my shooting sports and fishing. With the price of ammo these days :2guns:...and the fishing gear is more designed to catch fishermen :facep:.
BUT, what the heck! It has turned a chore into a somewhat challenging and enjoyable way to start the day.

Cheers!

Welcome!

It's nice to see people find their way here from mass media outlets, such as the Pawn Star guy.

There's a good thread here and review from Mantic (perhaps he's how you found us in the first place) on the Micro One Touch.

Best of luck!

ST,

Ya, I imagine lots of folks started thinking about switching to DE's just watching that commercial as I did. Frickin' Fusions are out of hand expensive...PLUS DE shaving is kinda fun! I knew I wasn't going to buy a Micro One Touch, but it started the wheels a-turnin'.

I did find mantic's site on this forum BTW, and used his "Top DE Razors" review to pick the Parker 92R. Seems a little mild after about 3-4 weeks with it, though...hopefully the EJ DE89L is a tad more aggressive (now that the training wheels are off).

Cheers!

Welcome. As a noobie on here as well, I have found the wealth of knowledge truly valuable when making the leap into wet shaving. I envy your already great den collection!

ST,

Ya, I imagine lots of folks started thinking about switching to DE's just watching that commercial as I did. Frickin' Fusions are out of hand expensive...PLUS DE shaving is kinda fun! I knew I wasn't going to buy a Micro One Touch, but it started the wheels a-turnin'.

I did find mantic's site on this forum BTW, and used his "Top DE Razors" review to pick the Parker 92R. Seems a little mild after about 3-4 weeks with it, though...hopefully the EJ DE89L is a tad more aggressive (now that the training wheels are off).

Cheers!

I personally find the DE89L to be mid-range on the aggressiveness scale, but have never touched a Parker. Strangely enough, I get good shaves from Techs (very mild) and Fatips (quite aggressive), but haven't dialed in the DE89L yet. I've only tried mine a handful of times in fairness.

Top Bottom