What's new

Yet another comment on SIG Sauer's sad decline in quality

Another lost gov't contract due to reliability problems.

The Dutch Minister of Justice and Security has today announced the dissolution of the contract awarded to SIG-Sauer for the supply of the new Dutch police service pistol. After the contract was awarded to SIG-Sauer, there were still tests to be run on the new police cartridge (see here for reference) The production ready pistols failed three initial tests. SIG-Sauer was notified it was not fulfilling requirements. After the fourth and final test the Minister found that SIG-Sauer could not deliver the requisite quality in a mass production setting.

Quite harsh words were offered by the Minister on SIG-Sauer: "On the basis of the results of these tests I no longer find it responsible to continue with this pistol. There is no longer enough confidence in the quality of the pistol, nor in the capacity of the manufacturer to improve the quality or safeguard it. All this brings a risk to the safety of officers on the street.

Last edited:
The Dutch did admit to change in ammunition but neglected to mention the problems with the RFID transponders and the fact that Heckler & Koch and Walther, who lost out on the contract have announced their intention to take the Dutch government to court over the decision. I think it is funny that the Hong Kong police have NO issues with the stock 250 but they do not have deal with the irrational specifications that no other could provide or the Euro Union politics.

The Dutch did admit to change in ammunition but neglected to mention the problems with the RFID transponders and the fact that Heckler & Koch and Walther, who lost out on the contract have announced their intention to take the Dutch government to court over the decision. I think it is funny that the Hong Kong police have NO issues with the stock 250 but they do not have deal with the irrational specifications that no other could provide or the Euro Union politics.

The US BATFE dropped SIG out of their latest pistol procurement competition due to reliability issues. The US Federal Air Mashalls just grounded all of their issue SIG P250s due to reliability issues and went back to their DAK P229s and P226s. See a trend here?

I updated my blog to reflect these facts.

SO very frustrating to see a quality manufacturer let their product deteriorate. I have a late 80's stainless 226 and it is a fine gun and has been very reliable. I looked at a new 226 a couple months ago and it looked a bit rough by comparison to my old one.

This is sad news. I had a Sig P226 that I bought when I traded a Beretta 92S, which was a mistake in and of itself, as it was an Italian made Beretta, very high quality. Anyway, traded for the Sig because it felt better in my hand, this was sometime in the mid-80's. The Sig was a high quality piece, beautifully made, very accurate, and totally reliable, even using old, old military surplus 9mm. I wonder if these companies realize how important their reputation is, especially in the day of the internet, where bad news travels oh-so-fast.

This is sad news. I had a Sig P226 that I bought when I traded a Beretta 92S, which was a mistake in and of itself, as it was an Italian made Beretta, very high quality.

I have both, both are older models. Both are very high quality. Both brands have made changes recently I do not like. I wouldn't trade either of them away but if I HAD to I would regret seeing the Beretta go more. It is my favorite hangun bar none. Yes one does wonder very much how manufacturers seem less concerned with their rep, especially with the internet being such a big part of how the gun owning community shares their collected experiences.

Last edited:
Top Bottom