What's new

Yesterday's Junk Store Find With Questions

Bought this in an antique store yesterday. I know it is an old type, but I could not find this particular case on Mr. Razor's site. In my opinion, it is in really nice shape. Notice the blades correct to the set. There was also one in the razor. There is no crack in the handle.

Will it be ok to do the normal clean up? I use a hot water soak, Scrubbing Bubbles, and Maas. I know some of the gold razors have lacquer as the top coat, but does this one? Also, can the exterior of the case take the Maas polishing?

Thanks.

That's a nice one.

I'm getting jealous of all of you who can find these in your local stores :blushing:

I swear, California must have zero vintage razors. I've been to every antique store and thrift shop I can find with zero luck.

They're all in the mid-west and east coast.

I had a bid on one of those cases last night on ebay that I lost at the last minute. Good find. Normal clean up should be fine. Or Brasso.

It's definitely an ABC case. Interesting though that the bottom of the case doesn't have the patent dates and the King Gillette signature. Any ABC experts wanna chime in on that? Brian DiPalma, where are you?

It's definitely an ABC case. Interesting though that the bottom of the case doesn't have the patent dates and the King Gillette signature. Any ABC experts wanna chime in on that? Brian DiPalma, where are you?

Pardon my ignorance, but what qualifies it as an ABC?

Nice find! I wish the junk stores here had razors. I can't complain, though, I have found some nice stuff at antique shops~

actually, i think it's a gillette pocket edition, not an abc case- if you look at the logo it's imprinted onto the fabric- i believe the abc cases had a patch that was affixed to the lining.

I'm not sure of their relevance, but there were three different bottoms to the cases:

The ones with the Gillette signature and patent date;

The ones with a slightly concave, smooth bottom;

The ones with flat bottoms with three (or is it 2?) square indentations.

It could be different manufacturers or different years.

I nearly bid on the one on ebay last night too, went for like $11.00 - which is a pretty good deal, but I am really looking for more ABC razors, not cases.

After The American Button Company stopped making the razors, Gillette continued the style with the cases, not the fancy razors, as Pocket Edition. The basket weave, I think, is the most widely seen.

I like the style, I think boxes and cases really add a lot to the razors. An ordinary old type takes on a new level of sophistication when it comes with a nice case.

enjoy

I nearly bid on the one on ebay last night too, went for like $11.00 - which is a pretty good deal, but I am really looking for more ABC razors, not cases.

After The American Button Company stopped making the razors, Gillette continued the style with the cases, not the fancy razors, as Pocket Edition. The basket weave, I think, is the most widely seen.

I like the style, I think boxes and cases really add a lot to the razors. An ordinary old type takes on a new level of sophistication when it comes with a nice case.

enjoy

I too saw the case on Ebay last night, as I was trying to identify the razor. If you look at the picture, it has a broken hinge, and the razor is a Fat Handle Tech.

Top Bottom