What's new

Yesterday's Activities

Yesterday I re-knotted two handles and gave up on a third.

I posted yesterday about the failed attempt and here is the picture showing the lump of filler that is too hard to cut.

Next is the re-knotted travel brush. Originally a 16 mm knot in a handle that is the same size that is often used on 20 mm and 22 mm brushes. The original knot was set at about 40 mm loft, and just never really lived up to its potential, especially with such a large handle. I re-knotted it with a Virginia Sheng 18 mm silvertip knot, with the handle drilled to end up with a 45 mm loft. The inspiration for this was an Omega 599 with similar knot dimensions. The handle is taller than the Omega, but it is still reasonable with the larger knot. The original knot is alongside for comparison.

Here is the re-knotted brush next to the one I made myself with a 16 mm silvertip set at 44 mm (as much as I could get out of it). Also pictured is one of my travel "mini-mugs" for use with travel brushes.

Next is a Liojuny brush that I felt the handle was too large for the original 21 mm knot. I had already re-knotted an identical brush that I gave to my nephew. This is the follow-up of doing the same for my own brush. The knot is a 24 mm Virginia Sheng Finest set with two quarters under the knot for a total loft of 57 mm. It is pictured with the original knot. I had hoped to use that knot on the failed white handle pictured above.

Lastly, here is the re-knotted Liojuny with an Old Spice mug for perspective. The mug is loaded with DR Harris Lavender. The brush worked great with this hard soap, easily creating a nice lather, which I used to shave with this morning. Beautiful brush. Looks great and works great. I have a fondness for horn handles, real or, as is this one, faux.

Last edited:
Two very successful reknot projects.
I read your other post about the hard filler problem. It just occurred to me that you might try a bit made for drilling concrete. I'd probably try a 1/4" bit at a slow speed. It may be worth a try rather than pitching it.

Two very successful reknot projects.
I read your other post about the hard filler problem. It just occurred to me that you might try a bit made for drilling concrete. I'd probably try a 1/4" bit at a slow speed. It may be worth a try rather than pitching it.

I haven't pitched it yet and I have an 1/8" concrete bit so I may try it just to see if it works. If it does, I can buy a larger bit. Thank you for the suggestion.

I'm traveling again, and I brought along the re-knotted black handled travel brush with the "mini mug" pictured with it above. It performed as expected. The size and loft are a much better match than with the 16 mm knot it came with.

Top Bottom