What's new

Year-one Noob

Greetings from a "mature," WA noob. Another Tech recommendation for vintage, or a Yates/WSC The Winning Razor (new no longer available) for a modern mild miracle.

You'll really enjoy it here. Shave on!

It is now.

Went to a couple antique shops in Snohomish today and found a really nice J (1964) Slim in great condition. Comes with original case which is also in great shape. I’ll pick it up on Thursday when my shaving hobby money is replenished, so she’s holding it for me til then. They had a couple Techs as well, but I feel like I can find one in better condition than what they had. It was nice actually holding and operating a Slim before just buying one online. I like how they feel and in my hand, and it was good to be able to hear the audible adjustment clicks and see the TTO mechanism work.

Congratulations! You found your slim on your first outing!

It was obviously meant to be yours :). Don't be like me and try your first Slim shave on 8. Ouch! 2-3 will replicate a a mild Gillette razor like a tech or superspeed.

Congratulations! You found your slim on your first outing!

It was obviously meant to be yours :). Don't be like me and try your first Slim shave on 8. Ouch! 2-3 will replicate a a mild Gillette razor like a tech or superspeed.

good to know, thanks!

whats the best way to clean up a vintage razor? I hear dawn detergent, no vinegar, easy on the polish. Sound about right?

good to know, thanks!

whats the best way to clean up a vintage razor? I hear dawn detergent, no vinegar, easy on the polish. Sound about right?

Oh, you'll get a lot of advice about that from experts on the subject. The Wiki has a great section, as a place to start.

I just cleaned a SuperSpeed up using advice I've gotten here. I filled a mug with really warm, but not crazy hot water, slathered the razor in dawn and let it soak for 5-6 hours. Then I hit it with a old toothbrush.

I repeated that cycle a three or four times over a few days, worked ok. Got 95% of the grime off.

Last edited:
Welcome to B&B.
Soap and an old toothbrush are all you need. Sometimes a little tooth paste scrub is needed for heavy deposits. Generally avoid polish as the finishes can be delicate, especially gold and silver.

Welcome! I’m fairly new as well. The Gillette Tech is a great mild razor, I got a like new one off eBay for less than $20 shipped. I had to try one as it’s so highly recommended. It is more aggressive than the Henson mild more like their medium, but still not aggressive. I float between a muhle R41, the R41 with Razorock SLOC top cap, just the SLOC, and a Henson aggressive V2. Once I mastered the aggressive razors the super close BBS is hard to beat!!

Top Bottom