What's new

Year-one Noob

Hello everyone. I’ve been skulking around here for about a year now and I finally decided to jump in. I’ve scrubbed this forum many times over my first year of wet shaving, and it’s been a major help. The majority of my adult life was spent using electric razors for a couple reasons:

1. Its quick and easy, which was very convenient for the 20 years I spent in the navy. Not a lot of time to mess around. Get up, get dressed, knock the whiskers off, get to work.
2. My face is very sensitive, especially on the neck area, and cartridge blades turned me into ground beef.

I discovered wet shaving a couple years ago, tried it out, and didn’t do very well. So I quit. Turns out I bought an aggressive razor, a cheap thing from Fred Meyer, which I didn’t really know how to use. Combined with my lack of lathering skills, I didn’t stand a chance.

I decided after a while to give it another shot, this time doing a lot of homework. I’ve since fallen in love with it and it has become not only a hobby, but something I truly Enjoy. It’s an art. And no more electric razor for me, ever.

I use A Merkur 38C, a Henson AL13 mild, a Parker Variant, and a Rockwell 6S. I’d love to find some vintage razors that are on the mild side also, so suggestions are always appreciated. My favorite soaps so far are Wholly Kaw “Valentynka” and Noble Otter “Rawr.” I have a few PA soaps as well and like them also.

Anyway, I’m looking forward to learning more and jumping in to the discussions where I can!

Welcome! For vintage, I think the Gillette Slim is a must-have. Reasonably priced and adjustable.
Thanks for the suggestion. I was actually looking at one of the slims, a ‘64 on Etsy. Excellent condition for its age…65 bucks. There are some really nice ones with the original cases and blades still sealed for just over a hundred.

Thanks for the suggestion. I was actually looking at one of the slims, a ‘64 on Etsy. Excellent condition for its age…65 bucks. There are some really nice ones with the original cases and blades still sealed for just over a hundred.

I've seen vintage Gilllettes at better prices here in the BST forum. Check in there a couple times a day so you don't miss a good deal. Also the annual Saint Sue auction is coming up, might be some good deals there as well.

Welcome and glad things are working out. Gillette Tech is a classic, cheap, mild and definitely should be in every shaver's den.

Welcome aboard! The PNW is a great place to lather up, soft water really helps.

As bonded as I am to Fred Meyer, it is not my go-to spot for shaving gear.

If you enjoy hunting in the wild, vintage stores/malls are great spots to find vintage razors. I just passed along a $10 Slim I found a few weeks back. The Slim I'm keeping cost me $30. Both are very good user grade.

While I imagine Everett has some good vintage stores, from recent personal experience I can recommend Snohomish for vintage razor hunting. I left a few bucks there in July.

Welcome aboard! The PNW is a great place to lather up, soft water really helps.

As bonded as I am to Fred Meyer, it is not my go-to spot for shaving gear.

If you enjoy hunting in the wild, vintage stores/malls are great spots to find vintage razors. I just passed along a $10 Slim I found a few weeks back. The Slim I'm keeping cost me $30. Both are very good user grade.

While I imagine Everett has some good vintage stores, from recent personal experience I can recommend Snohomish for vintage razor hunting. I left a few bucks there in July.

I imagine you’re talking about bout the shops off 1st street in old downtown Snohomish? My wife loves those stores so will tag along with her the next time she goes. Thanks for the tip!

I pretty much gave up on shaving stuff at department stores… unless it’s a new Nick Stick or pre-shave I’m looking for (though, happily I need the nick stick much less these days). I much prefer artisan soaps and balms. And Fred’s doesn’t sell any blades except Van der Hagen that I’ve seen. I tried them once and no thank you.

Sounds like you have a good start! I too was lurking for so long, I was so reluctant to make that first post. I also used electric since I hit puberty, but never used a cartridge. Welcome to B&B.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Welcome to B&B, have some great shaves!
Vintage razor with some class, I would suggest a Gem Junior bar lather catcher with a new Gem Personna SS PTFE blade. It will l be a little learning curve but the razor is a upper mild to tame mid range IMO.
GEM  Junior bar 1907-11 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Top Bottom