What's new

Year for this Gem Jr. Lather Catcher? (Pic Heavy)

I stumbled upon this wonderful Gem Jr. Lather Catcher with box and directions. No brassing that I can see. The blades in the box are Star blades, so I am not sure whether they were original to the box. It takes regular SE blades and shaves terrifically -- a bit more aggressive than the Gem 1912 model, but not as aggressive as those open comb Micromatics.

This is probably one I will let go, as I have another lather catcher with a much more ornate back engraving, and I am more into straights these days anyway.

But still, I'd like a sense of what year razor I have here.

Here are the pix:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

According to Wait's Safety Razor Compendium, 1911. If you want to make the set totally original, it should have seven Gem Damaskeene blades, not Star.

Very nice set, BTW. Awesome condition, the case too, for 99 years old.

Last edited:

Legion

Staff member
They look so cool. I love the shave of the 1912. I haven't tried a lather catcher yet but it is one I hope to add to the collection one day.

What a lovely beast. Compare the 'G' initial with the Weber or Goodfella. That, my modern friends, is how you do it.

I gotta say that the star razor also has a nice look name across the head....but I do like the scrollie looking cutouts on the Gem alot.

Last edited:
Top Bottom