What's new

Yay - my very first wild find ever (no Toggle but still)...!

Gents, apologize up front for spending a whole thread on this small wild find. It may obviously seem like small-fry to you US based guys who so often find Toggles and what not when you happen to stop at small roadside antique dealers.:001_rolle:302:

Today, at my favourite antiques/flea market (or "loppemarked" in Danish) I finally got lucky and found this 100% pristine Rotbart(?) razor for shaving under the nose and trimming beards. Complete with 7 new blades and an decent generic box at the price of 40 kroner, equal to less than 6 dollars.

Actually, this was a perfect find for me as I am getting full in my DE collection and do not need at helluva lot more razors (I think). And as I shave under my nose with my old Fusion (haven't found the trick yet of using my vintage Gillettes for this purpose), I had actually contemplated getting one of these old trimmers.

Anyone of you have any experience with using these things?

Now I can go all DE when shaving. And this afternoon I will try it out together with my beloved 58 Tech and my brand new Meissner Tremonia Salty Sea Sage soap and AS.

Happy days.

IMG_0393.JPG
IMG_0392.JPG

Last edited:
Great find! That looks like it could have just been made yesterday, it must not have ever been used.

Awesome find! Congrats!

...and don't sell yourself short. Not only is what you found super cool, and somewhat rare/hard to find, there is no more special find, than your first. It's what opens the door to RAD for you!!!

Welcome to the rabbit hole!

@Northstonehill
As a fellow European resident, I am eaten up with jealousy.. I've never found anything good at the few flea markets I've found in my area. I work most weekends so I cannot get out to search so the feeling that there are great treasures out there that I'm missing out on is gnawing at me...
Plus, that is a truly unique and virtually perfect find.
Congratulations....

Excellent find! It's a beauty!

Aaand, you're not alone, my friend, here in Spain my flea markets/antique shops harvest is... the void...

Thank you all for your nice comments. This was indeed a good find, I used it yesterday and it is really effective. And more importantly I trust that now the bad wild spell is broken for me, and I will soon find at least a 5-dial Toggle and a Darwin :clap::thumbup:;)

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
... I finally got lucky and found this 100% pristine Rotbart(?) razor for shaving under the nose and trimming beards. Complete with 7 new blades and an decent generic box at the price of 40 kroner, equal to less than 6 dollars ... Anyone of you have any experience with using these things?

Nice find ... now you have a corn razor (anticor). I pick those up for the fancy handles if they come apart like a DE three piece (sometimes handle is joined to the small base). They're not normally for shaving, but intended for slicing off corns or Hühneraugen, if you like to do home foot surgery. :tongue_sm But you got a sweet handle!! Congrats.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
^what he said. But I'm sure you could use it for the mustache and beard. It's a great looking probably NOS razor.

Nice find!

Nice find ... now you have a corn razor (anticor). I pick those up for the fancy handles if they come apart like a DE three piece (sometimes handle is joined to the small base). They're not normally for shaving, but intended for slicing off corns or Hühneraugen, if you like to do home foot surgery. :tongue_sm But you got a sweet handle!! Congrats.

LOL. Just goes to show how much I know. :001_rolle:idea:

I have seen them advertised as brow shavers, though, think Razoremporium has one online as we speak.

Think I'll continue using it as I intended. And you are right, the handle is quite awesome. Think I'll try it on my Tech tonight, just for fun and as I really like short handles, did not think of that!

Thanks for sharing your input, truly appreciated!

Just finished an awesome shave with the Tech head mounted on the new handle. Compared to my usual fat handle this beautiful handle is the same length but significantly heavier. Would say +60% (without a scale nearby). Perfect for me as I really like short but heavy handles. This handle turns the Tech feel into an AS-D2 feel almost.

Also, the handle has amazing grip even though the knurling is not very deep. I think the hexagonal shape really contributes to this. And the overall balance is no less than perfect.

All in all, I am now even more happy - My new 'Frankenrazor' is truly special, a perfect mild shaver and even has a personal story to it. @nemo: I am eternally grateful to you for guiding me to this solution, thank you :thumbup1:

PS - Do you happen to know the brand of the handle? - Is it a Rotbart or...?

PPS - Definitely going to try the handle with my AS-D2 head one of these days!

IMG_0401.JPG
IMG_0400.JPG
IMG_0397.JPG

Last edited:

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
@nemo: I am eternally grateful to you for guiding me to this solution, thank you :thumbup1:
PS - Do you happen to know the brand of the handle? - Is it a Rotbart or...?

I found this to be pretty peculiar -- when I was looking at a couple of my Anticor razors (inspired by this thread) I found the same one as yours, only in a different box. Definitely German but I really don't imagine it's a Rotbart. Check it out!
full

I've used this handle, it was worth the price of the razor for sure. :001_cool: Corn razors don't see much daylight I imagine.

I found this to be pretty peculiar -- when I was looking at a couple of my Anticor razors (inspired by this thread) I found the same one as yours, only in a different box. Definitely German but I really don't imagine it's a Rotbart. Check it out!
full

I've used this handle, it was worth the price of the razor for sure. :001_cool: Corn razors don't see much daylight I imagine.

Oh yes, this is definitely the same handle. As regards the difference in boxes I am pretty sure that mine is a generic jewellers box. I looks completely like other boxes with jewellery I've seen here during the years.

Thanks again for inspiring me to use the handle with my Tech. It truly is an even more awesome shaver now than it was before. And it looks totally cool.

@dangerousdon : Thanks, Don!

"It may obviously seem like small-fry to you US based guys who so often find Toggles and what not when you happen to stop at small roadside antique dealers."

I assure you - you find is in no way "small fry". Most of us would kill, okay give dirty looks, to find something like your Rotbart.

Top Bottom