SOTD-1947-GT-Y_2022-01-19.jpg
:001_wub:

Brush: Shavemac "Kleiner Bayer" 14/42 Silvertip D01 2-Band
Soap: Vitos Red
Razor: 1947 Gillette Flat Bottom Tech GT
Blade: Willy's (1)
ASL: La Rive Cabana

An excellent shave. :biggrin:
The brand new (and brand new to me) Willy's blade certainly didn't disappoint. :001_cool:

Happy shaves guys. :cornut:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Willy's Wednesday SOTD
SOTD-1947-GT-Y_2022-01-19.jpg

Blade: Willy's (1)

An excellent shave. :biggrin:
The brand new (and brand new to me) Willy's blade certainly didn't disappoint. :001_cool:

Where did you find "Willy's" blades? 🤣

Where did you find "Willy's" blades? 🤣
I was reading a "Pearl Flexi Adjustable" thread. Ya mean ya didn't receive 110 of them free with your Flexi? :eek6:

It sounded like they were pretty damned good so I went looking for a tuck on eBay (UK). They were so cheap I ended up purchasing 110, thinking that I can always PIF them if they're not for me... but unless things go drastically downhill on future shaves, I'm keepin' 'em. :biggrin:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I was reading a "Pearl Flexi Adjustable" thread. Ya mean ya didn't receive 110 of them free with your Flexi? :eek6:

It sounded like they were pretty damned good so I went looking for a tuck on eBay (UK). They were so cheap I ended up purchasing 110, thinking that I can always PIF them if they're not for me... but unless things go drastically downhill on future shaves, I'm keepin' 'em. :biggrin:
Bought my Flexi used. I'll look in the box and see if there are Willy's Blades in there.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
And here I thought this thread was going to be one about mixing Williams with AS for use on Wednesdays!

Ooo... That could be a new thread!

I've seen and heard good things about this blade.... somewhere...on the 'bay?

Willy's Wednesday SOTD
SOTD-1947-GT-R_2022-01-26.jpg

Soap: Bignoli Neutro
Blade: Willy's (4)
ASL: Floïd Mentolado Vigoroso

A great shave. :biggrin:
All is well in ZenShaveLand. :sorcerer:

Willy's Wednesday SOTD
SOTD-1947-GT-Y_2022-02-02.jpg

Brush: Shavemac 20/46 Silvertip 2-Band
Blade: Willy's (2)

A good shave. :biggrin:

The Shavemac 20/46 Silvertip 2-Band (used today) is a great brush, but its 14/42 Silvertip D01 2-Band little brother (the Kleiner Bayer) is king.👑 Less is definitely more in this case.

The Razor Company has them.

Not anymore. Sold out:

Same at Maggard Razors, etc:

Curious thing, Maggard and others list Willy's as a Gillette product. It wasn't before. If I were of a suspicious nature, I would speculate that P&G purchased the name and closed it down to remove competition from a blade that was too good and too cheap. But P&G and Edgewell would never do such a thing, would they?

While I cannot find them for sale in the U.S. (or even in India), the UK eB BIN listing is still up.

The Willy's tuck says it is manufactured and marketed by Zircon Global Manufacturing, Bari Brahmana, Jammu, 181133.

Indiamart still has a page for purchasing Willy's wholesale in 8,000 blade lots. That would last you 22 years, at one blade per day. However, I suspect this site is not updated frequently:

The main page for Zircon LLP lists a lot of DE blades they make:

Another posting re Zircon led nowhere:

So the bottom line is: Are Willy's still made, and are they for sale?

If not, Does Zircon make an equivalent blade, and where can it be purchased?

Willy's is/was cheap enough in India at 30 rupees, or 40 cents USD, for a tuck of 11 blades.

It is a pleasant blade to use, smooth and efficient. Willy's shows that these days, with modern blade manufacturing equipment, it is no great feat to produce excellent blades, provided you are willing to put the money into honing the blades properly.

At the right price, I think Willy's (or Zircon) could be a hit in the U.S.

Anyone have any insights into the status of Willy's/Zircon, particularly our India correspondents?

As things stand, one day there will be no more Willy's Wednesdays, except perhaps for a few B&Brs who stocked up.

---

(Did I ever tell you about the time I was trying to find green coffee beans for sale online in India? Finally, after extensive searching I found a listing from a coffee seller. However the link only had a picture of green beans, as in string beans.)

Last edited:
Willy's Wednesday SOTD
SOTD-RFB-G_2022-02-09.jpg

Razor: Gillette NEW RFB 🇬🇧 GT
Blade: Willy's (9)

A fine shave. :biggrin:

Beaming you up @luv2shave, your comments would be appreciated. :001_smile

The Pigeons came back home with some news.

Apparently Willy's is now selling huge bulk only in excess of 8000 blades. Hence the usual retailers are not stocking up in India as it is too much quantity.

I have befriended an Online vendor in India in another town who sells wet shaving stuff via his online store. I had advised him how to go about setting up channels for international payments and shipping for international customers. He is a small time vendor who has started up some time back.

He shared the news above. He also added if there is a commitment of a kind of "Group Buy", he could be willing to add value if someone connects to him and gives a volume count as he is not willing to pick up 8000 blades and not have business around it

I am aware that there are rules for group buys at B&B, hence I will leave it at that. Unless someone wants to pick up via the right channels at B&B.

He has some tucks of the blade in stock however like many online retailers he might not restock considering the high volume he has to pickup. I guess this is the state with other small time retailers who sell online or offline here. Strange business policy of the brand !

Reactions: Cal
Top Bottom