What's new

YatesM/H OR Tatara MASAMUNE ,which should I buy

I have stonewash and bead blast versions. Both are great, but I use the bead blast more often. I had a polished one and sold it. A bit slick to grip with wet, soapy hands.
1. Why do you prefer the bead blast?
2. Did you notice any difference in face drag between the 3 finishes (ignoring the slippy grip of the polished)?
3. What razors would you say shave similar to the Yates on the H plate, mainly in terms of feel?
4. How do you rate the efficiency?
5. How different are the M and H plates?

Many questions... :)

Last edited:
1. Why do you prefer the bead blast?
2. Did you notice any difference in face drag between the 3 finishes (ignoring the slippy grip of the polished)?
3. What razors would you say shave similar to the Yates on the H plate, mainly in terms of feel?
4. How do you rate the efficiency?
5. How different are the M and H plates?

Many questions... :)
These are great questions hduty. I will do my best to answer them the best I can.

1. I use the bead blast more because it's my newest one and my wife gave it to me for Christmas. I do switch out between the two variants at times and enjoy them both.

2. I don't really notice any difference in drag between my stonewash and bead blast, but my stonewash is the older original finsh that is different from the current stonewash so I don't know how they compare. The polished maybe had slightly less drag, but not enough to really matter.

3. This is a tough one. The closest razor I own that compares to the Yates (as far as shave experience and performance) is my Blackbird but it has more blade feel. They both bend the blade more than my other razor except maybe my Henson, but it feels completely different. Blade feel wise, the closest razor I have to the Yates would be my Rocca I guess....but still a little different. Maybe other razors out there that would be similar, I just dont have them......yet. :lol:

4. Yates H efficiency (and smoothness) are excellent and top all my razors....Blackbird is almost identical....loses out a tad in the smoothness category.

5. The only difference I can perceive between the M and the H plates is efficiency. The H just turns up the efficiency dial a couple of notches and for me takes the razor to "awesome" category. I used the M for well over a year (maybe 2) and got great shaves. On a whim decided to get the H plate and it turned out to be an excellent decision. It's my favorite razor. I also have the EH plate but it changes the feel a little too much for me and I only use it if I haven't shaved in a few days. I'm a daily shaver so the M and H work better for me.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
These are great questions hduty. I will do my best to answer them the best I can.

1. I use the bead blast more because it's my newest one and my wife gave it to me for Christmas. I do switch out between the two variants at times and enjoy them both.

2. I don't really notice any difference in drag between my stonewash and bead blast, but my stonewash is the older original finsh that is different from the current stonewash so I don't know how they compare. The polished maybe had slightly less drag, but not enough to really matter.

3. This is a tough one. The closest razor I own that compares to the Yates (as far as shave experience and performance) is my Blackbird but it has more blade feel. They both bend the blade more than my other razor except maybe my Henson, but it feels completely different. Blade feel wise, the closest razor I have to the Yates would be my Rocca I guess....but still a little different. Maybe other razors out there that would be similar, I just dont have them......yet. :lol:

4. Yates H efficiency (and smoothness) are excellent and top all my razors....Blackbird is almost identical....loses out a tad in the smoothness category.

5. The only difference I can perceive between the M and the H plates is efficiency. The H just turns up the efficiency dial a couple of notches and for me takes the razor to "awesome" category. I used the M for well over a year (maybe 2) and got great shaves. On a whim decided to get the H plate and it turned out to be an excellent decision. It's my favorite razor. I also have the EH plate but it changes the feel a little too much for me and I only use it if I haven't shaved in a few days. I'm a daily shaver so the M and H work better for me.

Hope this helps.
What version of Rocca are you trying? I had a V1, and went away because of an ATG blade chatter.

Hope this helps.
Very helpful, much obliged!

Hope this helps.
What type of beard do you have, dense and hard, bearded or not too dense beard

What type of beard do you have, dense and hard, bearded or not too dense beard
I'd say an average beard, but I have mostly grey whiskers so they may be a little tougher than in my younger days. My beard grows quick enough to need shaving daily, but it would take me several weeks to grow a proper beard. I keep a goatee so I don't shave my upper lip or chin areas.

I have used each of those razors this week. The V4 Rocca is a nice razor and shaves well but I don’t find it quite as efficient as the others you listed. The Rocca shaves similar to the Yates M plate, but I typically use the H plate which dials up the efficiency a little. The Outlaw and Blackbird definitely shave closer for me as well.

I would rank them in this order for closeness….Yates H, Blackbird/Outlaw, then Rocca. The Bird and Outlaw are a tie for me and just lag the Yates H by a thin hair.

For comfort I would rank them like this….Yates H/Outlaw, Rocca, Blackbird. All are daily user capable for me.

I have used each of those razors this week. The V4 Rocca is a nice razor and shaves well but I don’t find it quite as efficient as the others you listed. The Rocca shaves similar to the Yates M plate, but I typically use the H plate which dials up the efficiency a little. The Outlaw and Blackbird definitely shave closer for me as well.

I would rank them in this order for closeness….Yates H, Blackbird/Outlaw, then Rocca. The Bird and Outlaw are a tie for me and just lag the Yates H by a thin hair.

For comfort I would rank them like this….Yates H/Outlaw, Rocca, Blackbird. All are daily user capable for me.
Thanks for Your very helpful information.

Top Bottom