What's new

Yates Razor

I used the brass hybrid plate this morning. Nice, smooth, mild and easy shave. Almost like a day off compared to my other regular users. Looking forward to trying the H plate, and will keep an eye out for the "extra efficient" plate that Jacob is talking about. BTW, his heads work really well on Charcoal Goods handles. Resizer_16065817070670.jpg

Just a heads up @Leverspro and others: Jake has some razors up, H plates and Hybrid plates.

I sold a wolf and Diamondback because this razor is that good. Go get one.

edit: just to expand, I don’t care about shiny. I want a tool that works well for my skin and beard. Good value helps too.

Selling a wolf and a diamondback is high praise indeed. I‘ve never used the Yates razor, but I like the look of the new top cap - it kind of reminds me of the Blackbird top cap the way its angled.

Do you have the H plate or the M plate?

Selling a wolf and a diamondback is high praise indeed. I‘ve never used the Yates razor, but I like the look of the new top cap - it kind of reminds me of the Blackbird top cap the way its angled.

Do you have the H plate or the M plate?

I use the Hybrid which is Identical to the M but with one side OC. First pass with OC, second and third sometimes with the SB. Found the smoothness and efficiency similar to my 1.25 WR2. For me, the clamping of the blade further back gives a better result on the neck than the clamping of the blade close to the edge on the wr2.

Very nice! Are those corners on the bottom plate rounded up? They look different from my M plate (H is on the way!).

I've seen the same rounding in Yates new razor for the WSC ('Merica). The original doesn't bother me during shaving but on touch you can feel slight sharpness of the corner. Rounding those looks like an improvement! Happy to see Jake improving the design in various ways.
proxy.php

First shave with this h plate was very good. I really like that razor components can be purchased individually, although I waited about six months for Jacob to stock this. The shave was "Blackbird" efficient and very smooth yet not without blade feel. No issues. Of all the razors that I have bought with various materials, I have never felt as big of a difference between them as I feel with this stonewashed. It's quite unique. I think I like it. It doesn't glide and slows the strokes down. The face feel is very intentional and gives a good sense of how you're using the razor. I see he's offering a lot of polished razors starting today. I don't have any desire for more shiny razors. It may be the stonewash that keeps this going for me.
Resizer_16077915336402.jpg
It won't be causing me to sell anything, but I'll certainly be including it in rotation. Today I used a Gillette Permasharp on its fourth day, so I look forward to trying different blades as well.

Also picked up the new H plate.

viber_image_2020-12-13_14-13-13.jpg

The looks-material-finish seems to be exactly the same as for the WSC Merica razor which was great.

viber_image_2020-12-13_14-22-33.jpg

This batch has all the design improvements of the WSC Merica razor such as rounded guard corners and smoother corners all across the plate.

viber_image_2020-12-13_14-22-02.jpg

Only one shave so far but I'm very impressed with it. I was afraid it'd be too aggressive compared to the M plate, but tuns out it's just as smooth while slightly up in efficiency/aggressiveness and retains the same comfort of the M plate. The added aggressiveness come from a bigger gap while overall height is identical.
What is great it's the same smoothness and blade reveal on all angles be it shallow steep or in-between. Many razor have more blade feel "in between", but not the 921-M plate. I'm glad that the H plate retains this excellent property which keeps the razor smooth and comfortable.

Overall a great BBS shave, excited to see if it lasts longer than from the M plate. It's going to be fun comparing the plates because I like them both!

For those of you fellows who have both Yates and Karve razors. Does a Karve top cap fit a Yates base plate? Would they hold a blade properly? Much obliged.

I'm considering a Yates Ti with M plate, but I can't decide between scalloped and OC. The OC teeth look straight and sharp, like the teeth on my Tatara Masamune OC plate, which I don't like, and unlike the rounded teeth on my FOCS, which I do like. Does that matter with the Yates? Please don't recommend a hybrid or buying both. That's too easy.

Thanks.

I'm considering a Yates Ti with M plate, but I can't decide between scalloped and OC. The OC teeth look straight and sharp, like the teeth on my Tatara Masamune OC plate, which I don't like, and unlike the rounded teeth on my FOCS, which I do like. Does that matter with the Yates? Please don't recommend a hybrid or buying both. That's too easy.

Thanks.
Sorry haven’t used their OC but do use their scalloped baseplate on all my Yates razors. It works great. I think @LRod has the OC M plate. Maybe he’ll chime in.

Sorry haven’t used their OC but do use their scalloped baseplate on all my Yates razors. It works great. I think @LRod has the OC M plate. Maybe he’ll chime in.
OK I'll chime in, this is for @Chaucer
If you're looking for an open comb that has the smooth rounded teeth like the FOCS, you're only gonna get it with a Timeless open comb. I'm not aware of any other razors that have those super rounded teeth. The Timeless has the smoothest roundest teeth possible. So much so that it feels like you're shaving with a safety bar razor.
Right now I've been using more and more OC's and liking them more than most SB's. I don't know you're shaving angle but that makes a difference. I'm a shallow shaver which means that I'm not affected by the teeth design.
Regardless, I am aware that some are smoother than others. But again, it doesn't bother me!
From the OC's I currently have and use, from smoothest "teeth" to least, this is my list. Remember, this is my list and you're tastes might be totally different (this is strictly judging the teeth and not the performance of the razors):

#1 Timeless Open Comb (rounded teeth)
#2 Fatip FOCS (rounded teeth)
#3 Karve Open Comb (squared off teeth)
#4 Yates Open Comb (sort of rounded teeth)
#5 Pearl Flexi adjustable Open Comb (sort of rounded teeth)
#6 Tatara Open Comb (pointy teeth)
#7 Above the Tie Windsor Open Comb (pointy teeth)
#8 Ikon Short Comb (pointy teeth)

Hope this helps!

Top Bottom