What's new

Yates 921-M First Impressions

I got shipping notification last night. Hopefully, I’ll have this in hand for my Saturday shave.

Oops. Didn’t realize that screenshot had my order number. That’s what I get for posting when I’m only 23% caffeinated.

Yates 921:

Brass top cap
Brass H plate
Bead blasted 4” handle
(I wanted the 3.25” brass handle, but ALL the shorter handles were out of stock.)
I'm sensing some excellent shaves in your near future.

I'm so pleased with many wetshavers enjoying the Yates razor - people have been seriously sleeping on it!

I have the Yates for over 2 years now and it has been my go-to razor. I try other razors too, but for me none compares to the Yates 921 M-plate. I also have the H plate but never really use it, since the M plate provides a close enough shave for me already.

Ordered brass cap and HYB plate over the weekend, so also am shopping for a brass handle.
I already had a first batch Yates (darker finish, less roundings, documented in thread here Yates Razor - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/yates-razor.575717/post-11032925). I owned a regular stonewashed. I Owned a HYB plate, and now own a polished M. I don't need the brass 921-M, but I'm still getting it.
Congrats to all new and old owners of Yates - you're in for a treat!

I'm so pleased with many wetshavers enjoying the Yates razor - people have been seriously sleeping on it!
I don't think we're all sleeping on it. One of the issues is stock! I've wanted one but with an H plate and short handle. I've tried piecing one together and everytime some of the parts have been out of stock. And also, I was told by Yates that they would have a "Build your own" option and it's yet to happen. Hopefully I'll be able to own one when they have full stock of what I need without having to buy what I don't need.

Last edited:
I just don't get the Wow Factor with the Yates that I get from some of my other razors. I like shaving with my Blackbird or Timeless more, but they are more expensive, but I also prefer shaving with my Game Changer or Lupo more and they cost far less.

No doubt it's that YMMV thing, you can't please everyone. Thus I have listed mine on the BST with the hope that someone won't mind slightly used but still like new for less cost.

I don't think we're all sleeping on it. One of the issues is stock! I've wanted one but with an H plate and short handle. I've tried piecing one together and everytime some of the parts have been out of stock. And also, I was told by Yates that they would have a "Build your own" option and it's yet to happen. Hopefully I'll be able to own one when they have full stock of what I need without having to buy what I don't need.

Jake (Mr Yates) told me that the a la carte system should be operational next month. All I’m waiting on, to complete my razor with matching parts is a brass handle.

And a brass hybrid plate.

And a bead blasted cap.

Dammit.

Had a phone call from my wife earlier.

“You have a box here. Did you order something else?”

Well guys, it’s been fun. @FarmerTan , any words of wisdom?
Hahahaha!! I swear I got the same call today!!
The USPS guy usually leaves boxes in a locker that I have under my mailbox and today decided to knock and leave it at my home. And of course, my wife was there to receive it, Lol!!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
My wife counts my brushes now. That’s the only thing multiplying around here.

My Italian SV brush came today via Spain. I love being able to shop the world. I’m so old, I remember the only place you could do significant research was at the library. Oh, and we had dozens of mail order catalogs around.

My Italian SV brush came today via Spain. I love being able to shop the world. I’m so old, I remember the only place you could do significant research was at the library. Oh, and we had dozens of mail order catalogs around.

Yep, I can still remember how the library smells.

If anyone here has an all brass 921, could you post a pic? I’d like to see how it looks with the short brass Yates handle.

It’s easy to count my brushes. I have two.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
It’s easy to count my brushes. I have two.
I had one when I showed up here on March 1st. I avoided the rabbit hole until Mistura May Madness. I'm done unless or until the Limited Edition Semogue brushes are released later this year. I still have two on the way.. unless one of the orders turns out unfillable, which is possible.

I had one when I showed up here on March 1st. I avoided the rabbit hole until Mistura May Madness. I'm done unless or until the Limited Edition Semogue brushes are released later this year. I still have two on the way.. unless one of the orders turns out unfillable, which is possible.
Curious, how many brushes do you have so far? I can't keep track of how many times you say: "I have a brush on the way", LOL!!

I've only amassed 4 brushes up to now (all synthetics):

Simpsons Trafalgar T2 (bought it because I wanted a Simpsons. I've used it twice. My Razorock beats it)
Razorock Plissoft Disruptor (my daily brush which is fantastic)
Vie-Long Peleon horse hair (yet to use it)
Yaqi brush (can't remember the model and I yet to use it)

I’ve only got one brush and one razor! Although, I think I want an adjustable razor in the near future.

proxy.php

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Curious, how many brushes do you have so far? I can't keep track of how many times you say: "I have a brush on the way", LOL!!

I've only amassed 4 brushes up to now (all synthetics):

Simpsons Trafalgar T2 (bought it because I wanted a Simpsons. I've used it twice. My Razorock beats it)
Razorock Plissoft Disruptor (my daily brush which is fantastic)
Vie-Long Peleon horse hair (yet to use it)
Yaqi brush (can't remember the model and I yet to use it)
I have 4 badgers (I wasn't planning on buying any. I was going to stick with Synths), 5 excellent synths, 9 boars and 3 Misturas.... but I still only have one razor (ok.. 3 of the same one... an extra one waiting for a Wolfman Darwin handle in 6 months or so). The 4th badger might not end up getting shipped. We'll see.

The boars are all fairly inexpensive but I read the Dec. Boar month thread and decided to experiment. I read that while I was following the Mistura May Madness thread... I actually really like the two Semogue Owner's Club Misturas... they have an excellent feel to them.

If anyone here has an all brass 921, could you post a pic? I’d like to see how it looks with the short brass Yates handle.
A gentleman I know had assembled a superb all-brass Yates and reported here:

Top Bottom