What's new

Yates 921-M First Impressions

This seems like the most recent Yates thread so I figured I would ask here instead of making a new thread. Does anyone know if you can buy the Yates razor with just the H plate?
I don't think I'd ever use the M plate so I see it as a waste when purchasing.
I don't see an option to choose the plate. All I see is that you would optionally buy the H plate?

Reactions: nav
You can contact the Yates through their website. Good folks!
Thanks!
I just did and he answered back. He said that in June they will be releasing a "build your own model" program. I guess then you'd be able to piece them together however you like.
I guess I can always buy it now with the M plate and also buy the H plate and try them both. Maybe I end up liking one over the other or both. Either way, I'd always be able to sell the one I don't like on B&B!

Hi Gang,

Just got my Yates 921-M about two weeks ago, having upgraded from the Merkur 38C. The Yates is a huge upgrade in my experience and the quality of my shaves have gotten so much better. Wish I would've upgraded sooner, as I'd been using the Merkur for years and it was mediocre.

I'm doing the typical three pass approach (WTG, XTG, and ATG) with some great results. I've been using Feather razors for years, which are great, but may sample some others as they're perhaps too sharp. Currently trying out different shaving creams and exploring those as well.

Lastly, mostly out of curiosity, I just ordered the H-plate (1.02 mm blade gap vs. my stock .64 blade gap). Not sure how I'll like a more aggressive plate, but I'll give it a go.

proxy.php

Hi Gang,

Just got my Yates 921-M about two weeks ago, having upgraded from the Merkur 38C. The Yates is a huge upgrade in my experience and the quality of my shaves have gotten so much better. Wish I would've upgraded sooner, as I'd been using the Merkur for years and it was mediocre.

I'm doing the typical three pass approach (WTG, XTG, and ATG) with some great results. I've been using Feather razors for years, which are great, but may sample some others as they're perhaps too sharp. Currently trying out different shaving creams and exploring those as well.

Lastly, mostly out of curiosity, I just ordered the H-plate (1.02 mm blade gap vs. my stock .64 blade gap). Not sure how I'll like a more aggressive plate, but I'll give it a go.

proxy.php
Very nice!
Makes me want to order one right now, LOL!!
Man I think that's gonna be my next. Looking forward to your H plate test when you receive it.
I have the Wet Shaving Club's "Winning" razor which is made by Yates and the quality is stunning for a $50 razor.
So I really really want a normal Yates built razor.
Enjoy it,
LRod

Very nice!
Makes me want to order one right now, LOL!!
Man I think that's gonna be my next. Looking forward to your H plate test when you receive it.
I have the Wet Shaving Club's "Winning" razor which is made by Yates and the quality is stunning for a $50 razor.
So I really really want a normal Yates built razor.
Enjoy it,
LRod
Thanks- I'd say if you're on the fence, go for it. I could not be happier with this product. First, Jake was excellent with communication and he kindly allowed me to get the short/fat handle instead of the stock skinny one. Second, and most importantly, the product itself is a precisely machined work of art. It performed flawlessly right out of the gate. I'll definitely post my impressions of the H-plate. Should be here hopefully later this week.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
@LRod

I agree, please keep us updated, I wanna know when and or if, you get the Yates razor. I have a feeling that Yates has been seeing what Timeless has been doing, and they want a piece of that build your own razor action hehe.

Once they do indeed implement that, its going to naturally post a new question to the entire shaving community. The question in the future will be, Timeless, or Yates? And there are going to be oodles of people posting answers to that question in the coming future.

Gotta love this day and age for safety razors WOOHOO! :thumbup:

Hi Gang,

proxy.php
What finish is that? It's nice!

That's interesting. In the Yates website, the stonewashed looks dark.
I thought that, due to the lighter color, it might be bead blasted. It does look much lighter in your pic.
Probably the lighting. It's a medium grey finish. The website pic is pretty accurate.

Well I'm seriously tempted to buy their machine finish. does anyone have experience with their other razors found on the wetshaving club?

Well I'm seriously tempted to buy their machine finish. does anyone have experience with their other razors found on the wetshaving club?
I have the "Winning" razor and it's machined by Yates. I figure the 921 has the same finish. I like the finish a lot!
I don't feel any drag from it and it looks just fine. But I personally don't like anything that's super polished anyways. I will be buying a 921 when they start selling them as "build your own" and when I do, it will definitely be machined finish. I don't like how the other ones look TBH.

I have the "Winning" razor and it's machined by Yates. I figure the 921 has the same finish. I like the finish a lot!
I don't feel any drag from it and it looks just fine. But I personally don't like anything that's super polished anyways. I will be buying a 921 when they start selling them as "build your own" and when I do, it will definitely be machined finish. I don't like how the other ones look TBH.
awesome! have they announced when that feature will be released?

The Winning Razor is a very comfortable and very efficient razor. Great price for a stainless steel razor. The biggest complaint from many is the "suction" feeling the head creates against the skin. I feel it and do not like it, but the end result is effortless BBS.

The Merica looks, feels, and performs similarly to the 921-M, but is less efficient/more mild.

awesome! have they announced when that feature will be released?
I emailed them and they said that it would be sometime in June. It's nice to save 15% now but I wouldn't get exactly what I want. I need the short handle instead of the long skinny handle that it brings. And I don't want the M plate. I want the H plate. And right now, I'd have to buy both plates.

Top Bottom