What's new

Yates 921-M First Impressions

I’m hoping that Yates can offer some handles in the style of Razorock or Wolfman. I’m tempted to get one of the Razorock handles that would fit, but I think my stonewashed Yates head on a polished handle might look weird.

Yep, different metals/finishes look weird.

2261CA43-C918-466A-A785-15DBB66CAD5D.jpeg

Being the nerd that I am, I kinda want a brushed handle in red for an Iron Man vibe.
As soon as they offer the handles in brass, I’m snatching one up.

Yep, different metals/finishes look weird.

View attachment 1480711

Being the nerd that I am, I kinda want a brushed handle in red for an Iron Man vibe.
As soon as they offer the handles in brass, I’m snatching one up.
I'm OCD as well when it comes to matching but I think your Yates looks pretty cool. When I pieced together my new ATT aluminum/stainless, I didn't know what to expect. The cap is black aluminum, base is blue aluminum and the handle is stainless. I ended up liking it a lot and will keep it as is. It's unique:

Screenshot_20220630-105233-picsay.png

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I'm OCD as well when it comes to matching but I think your Yates looks pretty cool. When I pieced together my new ATT aluminum/stainless, I didn't know what to expect. The cap is black aluminum, base is blue aluminum and the handle is stainless. I ended up liking it a lot and will keep it as is. It's unique:

View attachment 1480725
That is a nicely put together razor. Tri-color... I like it.

Getting closer to being able to customize your Yates. Link is there but doesn’t work (for me).

C5FE3B03-364D-445B-9293-FE79B5E277D7.jpeg

I’m guessing that the delay might involve the fact that Yates makes their own razors as well as the ‘Merica, Winning, and the Drakkant? No idea but I’m really wanting a matching brass handle.

Getting closer to being able to customize your Yates. Link is there but doesn’t work (for me).

View attachment 1481809

I’m guessing that the delay might involve the fact that Yates makes their own razors as well as the ‘Merica, Winning, and the Drakkant? No idea but I’m really wanting a matching brass handle.
Weird!
I just went on their website and don't see that anywhere.

Just received an email from Yates Precision saying July 8 at 8 PM EST the build your own razor option goes live.
That's great because they said in May that it would be in June!
But that was unofficial I guess because I had emailed asking them about it.
I received the email now as well so that's good news!

Last edited:

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Today I decided to forget about any advice I had read and just "get in tune with the razor" just like any other razor. IMHO it does like a slightly steeper angle but not toooo steep. Too steep, as we know, equals scraping.
Yes, you really want the blade to hit the whiskers as perpendicular as possible. (yes, I know whiskers complicate that by growing at an angle to the skin often, but generally...) To do that one must account for the curve the razor imparts on the blade. I tend to like razors designed such that I get to use a steeper angle.
OK.... can someone come up with a way to help me remember what the heck "steep angle" and "shallow angle" mean.... where is 90 degrees in relation to my face? is my face zero? and is it based on where the handle is?
Handle pointing at floor = steep. Handle pointing at wall = shallow.
I’ve only got one brush and one razor! Although, I think I want an adjustable razor in the near future.
Quit while there is still time :)

I only have two shaves so far with the 921 using the M plate (using the 4" handle for one shave and my Rockwell 6S handle for the other along with M5 washers) but I am surprised at how much blade feel I am getting considering the blade exposure is rated as being neutral. I was expecting less blade feel. Maybe I am applying pressure and not realizing it. I have been trying a variety of blade angles as well but have not found the magic angle yet.

Do any of you experience a good deal of blade feel with the M plate? I just want to make sure my top cap and M plate are not defective. I do have the H and EH plates as well but I am focusing on the M plate to help figure how to shave with this razor before going to the H or EH plates.

Thanks!

Top Bottom