What's new

Yates 921-M First Impressions

Not really, the M plate is already very mild rather than Medium.

Try shaving steep, the Yates likes that best.
I decided to go with a Nacet blade, focused on using zero pressure, going with longer and slower strokes as well as keeping the handle pointed to the floor for North-South passes and that combination is working much better. Still a little razor burn in a spot or two and had one weeper under my jaw near my ear where I had a hard time getting a good angle with the razor. I am surprised at how loud the feedback was from the razor on just a two day beard. Thanks again!

I decided to go with a Nacet blade, focused on using zero pressure, going with longer and slower strokes as well as keeping the handle pointed to the floor for North-South passes and that combination is working much better. Still a little razor burn in a spot or two and had one weeper under my jaw near my ear where I had a hard time getting a good angle with the razor. I am surprised at how loud the feedback was from the razor on just a two day beard. Thanks again!

My 921 surprised me with its relatively loud voice as well.

My Stando Lanca 2022 handle on the 921-M. The satin finish works surprisingly well with the Yates stonewash. I’ll try the combo out tomorrow. H/t to Mr00classic - thanks!
70193FB4-5C3F-47B0-8A23-7BC29742D5C0.jpeg75E74982-CA3D-486F-B056-5AF96AB9DEB1.jpeg

Off topic: since the design “update”, the new Henson head looks quite a bit like a Yates head, doesn’t it?

Or am I too tired to see straight?

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Off topic: since the design “update”, the new Henson head looks quite a bit like a Yates head, doesn’t it?
The indents of the cap to allow easier change of the blades and the non-pointy (not quite rounded, looks more like they sawed off the corner for both) edges of the bars copy the design. At advice of my lawyers I want to point out that copy is used just to describe a design similarity of both razors without implying or indicating anything. SCNR.

My Stando Lanca 2022 handle on the 921-M. The satin finish works surprisingly well with the Yates stonewash. I’ll try the combo out tomorrow. H/t to Mr00classic - thanks!
The shave with the Yates 921-M head on the Stando Lanca was superb. The 921-M does an excellent 2-pass job for me with the Yates short handle, but 90mm is the sweet spot handle length for me and this was just more comfortable, along with the lighter weight and wider grip. I was concerned about the M5 thread in the handle holding the 10-32 head post, but it seems to work fine (I just wouldn’t try that combo on a cockpit windshield ;-). Blade was a Nacet; it’s usually a Nacet or Personna Lab Blue when I use the Yates.
Prep: Tatonic pre-shave oil
Soap: Stirling Barbershop
Brush: Yaqi Two-band Barberpole 24mm
Aftershave: Pinaud Whiskey Woods

Happy shaves, all!

I am a big fan of the Yates H plate and because I’ve read less than enthusiastic reviews of the M plate, I wrote it off for a long time.

Recently, I started thinking I might want a razor I could use on autopilot to get a quick shave to look presentable. I bought a lightly used Yates 921-M w/stubby handle in stonewash finish (and a Semogue boar brush).

I just finished my first shave with it and it may just be my new daily driver. Less blade feel than the H (obviously) but seemingly almost as efficient. As far as the handle goes, in my opinion, Jake (Yates) should have made the shorter thicker handle standard and the long thin handle optional.

Next shave, I’m going to put the M plate with the brass cap and handle, just for the bling factor.

Here are some pics to illustrate what @gdawg55 describes regarding the narrow channel of the Yates Baseplate.

These two pictures show the Karve CB and the RR Superknurl. The top of the handle collar is too wide to engage the topcap thread securely. There is a gap between the top of the handle and the bottom of the baseplate.
View attachment 1465592View attachment 1465591

This picture shows that the Blackland Blackbird handle does fit securely on the Yates head due to the narrow top collar that actually is designed to insert below the level of the baseplate on the Blackbird. (Also can be seen in the second picture above).
View attachment 1465593
Hey @ewk , in your picture with the Blackbird handle, is that a standard size stainless steel handle? What finish are the Yates plates in the picture?

I was debating about picking up a standard size stainless steel Blackbird handle to use with the Yates and was curious how close the stainless steel Blackbird handle would match the bead blasted finish. I was also curious about how that combination would shave. I am tempted to email Blackland and ask them how much the standard handle weighs as it is not on their website.

I was curious if you had shaved with the Yates/standard size stainless steel Blackbird handle combination.

@gdawg55 Have you tried shaving with the Yates/standard size stainless steel Blackbird handle combination?

Thanks!

Hey @ewk , in your picture with the Blackbird handle, is that a standard size stainless steel handle? What finish are the Yates plates in the picture?

I was debating about picking up a standard size stainless steel Blackbird handle to use with the Yates and was curious how close the stainless steel Blackbird handle would match the bead blasted finish. I was also curious about how that combination would shave. I am tempted to email Blackland and ask them how much the standard handle weighs as it is not on their website.

I was curious if you had shaved with the Yates/standard size stainless steel Blackbird handle combination.

@gdawg55 Have you tried shaving with the Yates/standard size stainless steel Blackbird handle combination?

Thanks!
No I have tried that combo.

Hi @GoodShave . Yes, it is a standard size Blackbird stainless handle. I have never used it with the Yates. To be honest, even though I don't like the Yates handle aesthetic or length, I find it balances well and suits the razor perfectly. I even tried the short Yates, but didn't like the balance. My Yates is the stonewash finish.

Hi @GoodShave . Yes, it is a standard size Blackbird stainless handle. I have never used it with the Yates. To be honest, even though I don't like the Yates handle aesthetic or length, I find it balances well and suits the razor perfectly. I even tried the short Yates, but didn't like the balance. My Yates is the stonewash finish.
Thank you very much @ewk !

Reactions: ewk
Normally, I would use the H plate with a Nacet blade with my Yates 921 but today I decided to try the M plate with a Feather blade for an entire shave (based on good experience using this combination for touch ups on a previous shave). Today I wound up with a one pass DFS!

Brush: Rudy Vey 25mm STF
Lather : Razorock XXX Italian shaving soap
Blade: Feather (D1)
Razor: Yates 921
Base Plate: M
Handle: Razorock Haloed UFO

Yates_grey_plate_RR_soap.JPG

Nice....at least try the Yates handle. I was surprised how much I like it. It's too long, too skinny, but it works great with the razor and I ended up really liking it.

Hope your first shave goes awesome!!
I tried the original 4-inch handle when I first received my razor and it did not work for me but after using the Yates 921 head for a while (with other handles), I tried the Yates 4-inch handle again. I found the handle does work well. It just takes some figuring out as to how far up the handle to hold it.

Thanks @gdawg55 because this post made me think to keep trying that handle!

Top Bottom